The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

More on "consistency"

Glad to have been pretty busy this summer so I've been trying to work on a lot of stuff. Biggest problem I am dealing with now is how to grow in terms of "game management". Specifically, working with your partner(s) in terms of recognizing what they call or pass on and following suit (aka- "consistency").

Recently, I had a day where I was just gone- not there- didn't get it- in terms of management. My partner is a good guy with whom I've worked before and always offers tips and advice on management issues. Well, I just felt like I was concentrating too much on what my partner called and didn't call and wound up being very inconsistent all day. It was HS varsity with some big kids so we had it all, post play, pressing, drive and dish and lots of reaching and slapping.

Combined with a recent camp that had most observers (college, for most part) disfavoring most "and-1s" if the player got the shot off, I was late, out of position and not as decisive as usual. Confiming my fear was actually hearing the word "consistent" coming from the kids, coaches and stands. Usually, I am not bothered by extra comments, but since I was feeling that way anyway, I felt like I was sticking out like a sore thumb- and I probably was.

So, what have you all done in terms of transitioning to that "next level" that includes good game management and how are you able to work in noticing your partners calls/non calls without losing your own focus and getting all of us in trouble?

I feel stuck. I also feel that I'm going to be in a bit of this "rut" until I figure it out. I cannot have this going into the new season.

Thanks as always,
Zeedonk
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 11:34am
MABO Member

I had a similar problem this year. I was more focused on calling the game the same way as my partner was. As you say I was concerned more with his calls/non calls. It really threw me off and I ended up making what I felt were some questionable calls. We dont have any other choice but to use the coaches office as a change room around here so I actually was confronted by the home coach after the game regarding this. And he said the same thing, you didn't make calls the way you normally do maybe if there was more consistancy in your own game .... (this is where I actually tuned him out) .... blah blah blah.

I talked to my assignor after and asked for his opinion. He asked me if I felt I was better than that 1 game. Of course I said yes. He followed by saying then go out on the floor and worry about making your own calls every game. Regardless of who you are working with, make sure your calls are "consistant" both ways. It was a relief to hear him say I didn't have to worry about calling my game to match my partners.

I may have described this a little vaguely, but I think you can get the picture. Some won't agree with what I am saying, but I tell you it made a world of difference for me and I was actually requested to go work at a provincial tournament wild card game even though I didn't apply to work them.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 11:54am
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeedonk View Post
So, what have you all done in terms of transitioning to that "next level" that includes good game management and how are you able to work in noticing your partners calls/non calls without losing your own focus and getting all of us in trouble?
In addition to experience, experience & more experience, video review (not looking solely at the plays I got right, but true video breakdown) seeing plays Jan-Dec, advice/tips from the vets, attending quality camps/clinics & watching many games has helped improve my GM skills

By working my PCA & seeing as much of the court as possible, I have a better understanding of what my partners are calling & passing on. When the opportunity arises I always attempt to call similar plays in a similar manner... unless it's an IC or INC

It sounds like you are either thinking too much or not processing the info quick enough to make a timely decision. Just call your game Z.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 11:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Is this possible that this was just one game? I am not reading anything that suggests that you are having a constant problem. And if you are judging based on what players and coaches say you will never feel right about your game. They use the term consistency when you do not call the game in their favor. It is impossible to have the same plays all the time and call them the same when teams are not playing the exact same. I do not have anything to help you other than stop trying to over thinking one game and one situation. It is summer and this is the time to make all those mistakes. I would not compare a time when you are likely working more games in a row than you would ever do in the reason season and with a different pace.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

when it comes to consistency (either your calls only or within the entire crew), what you really should focus on is what i call "recall"...as in seeing a play, passing on a call, and then seeing a similar play at a later point in the game and comparing the contact (less, same, or more) - if the contact is less or the same, then "no call"; if there is more contact, then you should have a foul.

once you have improved the recall of your own plays, simply pay attention to the "other" plays in the game and call them accordingly.

when a coach complains (whether a foul is called or not), you can very simply say "same play at the other end" or "same play with the same result as before"....

btw, you already use "recall" on every play in the game - some people may use it better than others, but it IS something you can improve on in a simple manner.
Old Wed Aug 12, 2009, 07:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Consistency, Consistency, Consistency ...

Quote:
Biggest problem I am dealing with now is how to grow in terms of "game management". Specifically, working with your partnerin terms of recognizing what they call or pass on and following suit ("consistency").
From the Arbiter website:

Consistency, Consistency, Consistency
Written by Tim Sloan, Bettendorf, Iowa
Released on MyReferee
Copyright© Referee Enterprises, Inc.

(edited to remove entire article. Please go to the source to view it)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by bob jenkins; Thu Aug 13, 2009 at 08:12am.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=zeedonk;620128]
Combined with a recent camp that had most observers (college, for most part) disfavoring most "and-1s" if the player got the shot off,

I get it!! However, I don't get the pass on the and-1s if the player got the shot off.

Doesn't that go against the rule of a airborne shooter. As long as, the player get the shot off pass on the call.

So my position is, if a shooter goes up and the defender bumps or box out the shooter before he/she returns to the floor. As long as they got the shot off pass on the call.

SOMEONE PLEASE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME!

Distance to/from the goal should not be of any consequences.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 12:49pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie View Post
I get it!! However, I don't get the pass on the and-1s if the player got the shot off.

Doesn't that go against the rule of a airborne shooter. As long as, the player get the shot off pass on the call.
Absolutely! I wouldn't put too much into trying to "get" that bit of info. Sounds like you have a good grasp on how it should be called.

Perhaps, not calling cheap And1s was the point, but that should have nothing to do with whether the shot was released or not.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 12:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

[QUOTE=truerookie;620445]
Quote:
Combined with a recent camp that had most observers (college, for most part) disfavoring most "and-1s" if the player got the shot off,

So my position is, if a shooter goes up and the defender bumps or box out the shooter before he/she returns to the floor. As long as they got the shot off pass on the call.

SOMEONE PLEASE CLEAR THIS UP FOR ME!

Distance to/from the goal should not be of any consequences.
Actually, there are times when distance does make a difference. Contact on the wrist to someone shooting a point blank lay-up is not the same as contact to the wrist of someone shooting a 18' jumper.

As far as letting airborne shooters return safely to the ground, protecting shooters was a Focus Point last year for NCAA-M. And I never heard anyone ever say that's airborne players in the paint can be knocked down without penalty.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Aug 14, 2009 at 01:07pm.
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 01:15pm
We don't rent pigs

"One does not strive for consistency. One strives for quality. Consistency is one of the symptoms of quality."**

**author unknown

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Aug 14, 2009, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Perhaps, not calling cheap And1s was the point
Yes, that is what I took out of that camp also. The cheapie "and-1" is disfavored if the player is able to continue his/her motion and complete the shot. I also take from this the notion of the patient whistle, because if you give it that extra beat before hitting the whistle, you will/may find that the player will/may "play through" the contact.

Differ this from the WHACK on the shooter who has beaten his defender and the defender reaches out and WHACK! the whole gym hears it. Also differ this from the jump shooter as noted above.

I'm back on the floor this weekend, we'll see how it goes... thanks for the advice. I particularly like the "recall" examples from jeffpea. Will work on incorporating that as well.

Z