The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 01:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Question for a slow (no, not that way) board

Since we're in the off season and the board is kind of slow, I thought I'd just throw this out. What's the funniest, weirdest and/or strangest thing you ever had a partner do on the court? I'm not referring to just remarks or statements, but actual physical actions.

I had a partner bark at a coach once. I asked him why he did it and he said that if the coach was going to treat him like a dog, then he was going to act like one.

Also, about 10 years ago, I had a partner come out at halftime with his glasses on the back of his head. He told me it was so he could now "call it both ways".
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 01:50pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Red face

Had a partner back-pedaling (I know we’re not supposed to do that) and he found out why….the hard way, as he fell heels over head onto his back, feet way up in the air, in front of the chuckling crowd…….he felt oh so stupid....
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 05:45pm
Official Forum Member

Back Peddle - Trash Can

First year... I was back peddling and wound up sitting in a trash can at the end of the court. Butt in the can, feet up in the air and whistled player for three seconds, because the players could not stop laughing and I needed help to get out of the can. The rest of the game turned out to be the best game I reffed that year. Everyone seemed to loosen up and had fun, especially me.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 06:10pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPaco54 View Post
I needed help to get out of the can.
Yeah - that's happened to me, too.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 06:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And He Didn't Bring Me Anything ...

Player goes down with a dislocated elbow. While the paramedics are attending to her, we tell the players to go to their benches, since it will be several minutes before we're ready to start again. Then I notice my partner is gone. He went into the lobby and got a hot dog, and a soda, and came back and sat on the visitor's bench enjoying his injury time out snack.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 06:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Crazy Like A Fox ...

As a junior varsity official, I had stayed to watch the varsity game following mine. One of the varsity officials, an experienced veteran, and one of the better officials on our board, for some reason was drawing the wrath of the crowd with some of his calls. A ball gets lodged between the backboard and the ring. Before any of the players get a chance to jump to get the ball down, he comes racing in from his postion, all five feet, three inches, of him, jumps as high as he possible can, and doesn't even get as high as bottom of the net, missing everything. The crowd started laughing at his obvious futility, but after that, they didn't give him a hard time about any of his calls.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 07:50pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
A ball gets lodged between the backboard and the ring.
For all you new guys - that's called a wedgie.
Old Tue Aug 11, 2009, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

What about almost having a new partner in the middle of a game?

I think I told this story before, but during a JVB game, my wife and son were in the stands. I'm on the sideline about to to administer a throwin when I hear beside me, "Look Daddy! I can blow my whistle too!" Everyone on (and off) the court is staring at me as my four year old son is staring up at me with a sh*t-eating grin on his face and his little whistle that looks like a train in his hand. My son was ushered off soonafter but it took everything I had to not bust out laughing. People still mention that game to me on occasion when they see me.

Come to think of it, that was probably one of the better games I've worked as well.