The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   After the Coach Technical (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/54127-after-coach-technical.html)

ref2coach Mon Jul 27, 2009 02:22pm

After the Coach Technical

Speaking to a friend of mine who attended the CCA camp in Las Vegas. He told me that one of the NBA guys who was doing the film break down on his game told him that "Following a TF issued to a coach that the next foul or violation should be on that coach's team". He stated that to often the next several calls following a TF favor the team whose coach was sanctioned and that leaves the opposing coach questioning if he should get a TF to restore balance.

Have any of you ever been instructed likewise.

Adam Mon Jul 27, 2009 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 617172)
Speaking to a friend of mine who attended the CCA camp in Las Vegas. He told me that one of the NBA guys who was doing the film break down on his game told him that "Following a TF issued to a coach that the next foul or violation should be on that coach's team". He stated that to often the next several calls following a TF favor the team whose coach was sanctioned and that leaves the opposing coach questioning if he should get a TF to restore balance.

Have any of you ever been instructed likewise.

OMG no.

Seems like classic "leave it" advice.

Berkut Mon Jul 27, 2009 02:34pm

I would say that "Following a TF issued to a coach that the next foul or violation should be on whichever team commites the next foul or violation".

Of course, I am just a high school basketball official, so take that with a grain of salt.

fiasco Mon Jul 27, 2009 02:51pm

This is one of those all-too frequent occasions at camp where you smile, nod your head, say "okay" and throw the advice in the trash when you walk out of the gym.

bbcof83 Mon Jul 27, 2009 02:56pm

I can see the point but the advice seems misguided.

Might be giving coaches a little too much credit too. You think they are that perceptive and deeply analytical in the heat of a game? Doubtful.

Adam Mon Jul 27, 2009 03:10pm

I can see telling some one to make sure and not let that T affect your calls afterwards, but not a blanket statement like that. Good grief.
If you're worried about the other coach, why aren't you worried about the first coach thinking you're out to get him?

Mark Padgett Mon Jul 27, 2009 03:15pm

Man, I would love to know which NBA ref it was who said that. Maybe the NBA would like to know, too.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Mon Jul 27, 2009 03:56pm

I know that I always hope that the next foul or violation that I call after whacking a coach is on his team, but more often than not, the gods of basketball seem to have me call a foul or violation on the opponents of the coach whom I have just whacked.

MTD, Sr.

Ch1town Mon Jul 27, 2009 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ref2coach (Post 617172)
He told me that one of the NBA guys who was doing the film break down on his game told him that "Following a TF issued to a coach that the next foul or violation should be on that coach's team".

I'm sure there was more said in the beginning or at the end of what was posted here :rolleyes:

icallfouls Mon Jul 27, 2009 04:21pm

At one time I subscribed to this idea.

But the real meaning is that the calling official needs to be ready to make the next tough call even if it goes against the coach that recieved the T. Have the intestinal fortitude to keep calling the game that is in front of you. Sometimes the next foul is in your lap and it goes against the team that just got T'd. Get it right and move on.

BillyMac Mon Jul 27, 2009 07:23pm

What Do You Mean JUST A High School Official ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berkut (Post 617176)
Following a technical foul issued to a coach, the next foul or violation should be on whichever team commits the next foul or violation

Words of wisdom. Not bad for just you're fifty-third post.

Back In The Saddle Mon Jul 27, 2009 08:00pm

I've heard a similar philosophy from a respected college D1 guy. His take was, after giving a coach T, make sure the next whistle on the other team is a good one. If your next whistle is a "cheap" one, then the coach thinks, "That's good. I bought that one."

But that's an order of magnitude less controversial than the one presented here.

Hugh Refner Mon Jul 27, 2009 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle (Post 617260)
I've heard a similar philosophy from a respected college D1 guy. His take was, after giving a coach T, make sure the next whistle on the other team is a good one. If your next whistle is a "cheap" one, then the coach thinks, "That's good. I bought that one."

But that's an order of magnitude less controversial than the one presented here.

Hey - here's an idea. Why not make sure all your whistles are good ones and not "cheap" ones? Naaah - that would never work.

Raymond Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Refner (Post 617267)
Hey - here's an idea. Why not make sure all your whistles are good ones and not "cheap" ones? Naaah - that would never work.

So all your whistles have been good? Never a lapse in judgement or concentration?

Hugh Refner Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 617308)
So all your whistles have been good?

Yes. Although I did have one once that had a little chip on the side, but I filed it down and then it worked just fine. :rolleyes: