The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   two interesting summer league things (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/5398-two-interesting-summer-league-things.html)

bob jenkins Mon Jul 15, 2002 04:29pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
The first one is a bonus shot.The language in the books support that--specifically R-4-19-12 and CB 2.10.6A&B.These all talk about a bonus FT at 7 fouls.The first shot would always be a bonus shot.The second shot becomes an additional automatic bonus shot at 10 fouls.Just semantics,IMO.
Hmmm .... but the rules book (4-Bonus Free Throw and "Summary of Fouls") make it clear that the scend throw is the bonus. So, what do we call the first one? Interestingly, I see nothing in the book that grants the first throw (except that you can't have the bonus without it).

Jurassic Referee Mon Jul 15, 2002 05:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

The first one is a bonus shot.The language in the books support that--specifically R-4-19-12 and CB 2.10.6A&B.These all talk about a bonus FT at 7 fouls.The first shot would always be a bonus shot.The second shot becomes an additional automatic bonus shot at 10 fouls.Just semantics,IMO.
Hmmm .... but the rules book (4-Bonus Free Throw and "Summary of Fouls") make it clear that the scend throw is the bonus. So, what do we call the first one? Interestingly, I see nothing in the book that grants the first throw (except that you can't have the bonus without it).

Bob,that's why I went to the casebook. 2.6.10A&B both talk about a bonus FT situation on the 7th foul specifically.I can see where you're coming from,but the 7th to 9th have to be something,and it can't be much else but a bonus shot.If you look at CB4.8.2,it says it counts as one of the 7 team fouls to reach the bonus.So obviously,you have a bonus FT at 7 fouls.I think it's just as obvious that it isn't mentioned as a requirement anywhere that the first shot for the 7th foul has to be made before this is considered a bonus situation.Au contraire,AAMF.As I said,semantics,IMO.

Camron Rust Mon Jul 15, 2002 06:35pm

The first one is simply a "Free Throw". If you make it, you get a bonus FT shot. The whole thing is a bonus situation because there will be the chance that the player will get to take the bonus FT. A bonus, in general terms, is something extra...usually for good performance (the made shot). Before they 7th foul, the team gets the ball. At the 7th, the team gets the FT(s) instead of the ball. The FT(s) is(are) not a bonus, they are in place of getting possession. The 10th foul makes the bonus automatic. It is not in place of something else, it is an extra shot.

RULE 4
SECTION 8 BONUS FREE THROW
ART. 1 . . . A bonus free throw is the second free throw awarded for a common foul (except a player-control foul) as follows:
a. Beginning with a team's seventh foul in each half and for the eighth and ninth foul, the bonus is awarded only if the first free throw is successful.
b. Beginning with a team's 10th foul in each half the bonus is awarded whether or not the first free throw is successful.

mick Mon Jul 15, 2002 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Camron Rust
The first one is simply a "Free Throw". If you make it, you get a bonus FT shot. The whole thing is a bonus situation because there will be the chance that the player will get to take the bonus FT. A bonus, in general terms, is something extra...usually for good performance (the made shot). Before they 7th foul, the team gets the ball. At the 7th, the team gets the FT(s) instead of the ball. The FT(s) is(are) not a bonus, they are in place of getting possession. The 10th foul makes the bonus automatic. It is not in place of something else, it is an extra shot.

RULE 4
SECTION 8 BONUS FREE THROW
ART. 1 . . . A bonus free throw is the second free throw awarded for a common foul (except a player-control foul) as follows:
a. Beginning with a team's seventh foul in each half and for the eighth and ninth foul, the bonus is awarded only if the first free throw is successful.
b. Beginning with a team's 10th foul in each half the bonus is awarded whether or not the first free throw is successful.

"Yo, one-and-one!"
"No, one-and-maybe (<i>another one</i>)."
I gotter now.

Mark Dexter Mon Jul 15, 2002 06:52pm

Quote:

I know - my joke about the semantics just didn't come across well.

mick Mon Jul 15, 2002 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Mark Dexter

It was quiet.
And then,
A new prisoner hears, "5!".
The whole cell block laughed.
In a few minutes, the newbie hears, "14".
The whole cell block laughed again....

Mark Dexter Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mick
Quote:

It was quiet.
And then,
In a few minutes, the newbie hears, "14".
The whole cell block laughed again....

Is this a math joke?

'Cause, you know, I usually get those. :D

mick Tue Jul 16, 2002 09:21am

Quote:

Quote:

Is this a math joke?

'Cause, you know, I usually get those. :D

It was quiet.
And then,
In a few minutes, the newbie hears, "14!".
The whole cell block laughed again.
So the newbie asked his cell mate, "What's going on?"
The guy said, "Aw, we've heard these joke so many times, we just gave 'em numbers." And with that, he yelled out, "55!", and the whole cell block cracked up.

The new guy, wanting to fit in, then yelled out, "23!"
And, ...nothing....
While he was wondering "What the Hey?", he heard way down the line...

"Some guys just can't tell a joke." ;)