The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   T before the toss (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53886-t-before-toss.html)

Ch1town Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:08am

T before the toss

In HS the offended team always gets the ball, division line opposite the table after 2 FTs. So no jump ball takes place.

Does anyone know what the procedure is for NCAA & Pro?

Adam Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:13am

NCAA will depend on which class of T.
Not sure about pro.

Ch1town Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:18am

How about NCAA administrative & unsporting?

mbyron Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 612945)
Does anyone know what the procedure is for NCAA & Pro?

Pro what? :confused:

Camron Rust Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 612954)

Plumbers.

Back In The Saddle Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:28am

In HS, if you have a double T, then you go to POI. Which, in this case, would be the jump ball.

Ch1town Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 612954)

Umm basketball...

But I got it, thanks.

Whenever a technical foul is called, play is resumed at the point where it was suspended.

So you would still have a jump ball after the T in the league, but not in HS unless it was a double T.

Now if I could get a little NCAA help please.

Hugh Refner Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:57am

This is one of those rare cases in which I like the NBA rule. They view a technical foul as behavior that takes place "outside" the actual playing of the game. Because of that perception, they then "suspend" the game, take care of the technical, then pick the game up from where it was stopped.

I really think this is a rational approach to the game. I guess they feel that having the offended team shoot a free throw (I would still support two shots in NF) is enough of a punishment. Of course, they will still eject someone if it's really flagrant.

Having a rule like the NF does, where the offended team gets the shots and possession is not balanced. If the T is against the offensive team, they lose shots and possession. However, if the T is against the defensive team, they just lose shots because they didn't have possession in the first place. Why should there be more of a penalty if a team was on offense?

Raymond Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 612947)
How about NCAA administrative & unsporting?

Jump ball.

Ch1town Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 612982)
Jump ball.

So shoot 2 & POI for both sides of the NCAA?

Sounds like the same procedure as the league minus a FT.

Raymond Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 612989)
So shoot 2 & POI for both sides of the NCAA?

Sounds like the same procedure as the league minus a FT.

Apply the T just as you would if the T occurred at any other point in the game.

Lotto Tue Jul 07, 2009 01:03pm

In NCAA, one resumes play after most T's at the POI, which in this case would be the jump ball. The only exceptions are single flagrant or intentional (NCAAM only) technicals and an excessive timeout (NCAAW only). In NCAAM, play resumes with a throw-in by the offended team at the division line. In NCAAW, play resumes with a throw-in by the offended team at the POI, which in this case would be the division line as well.

LDUB Tue Jul 07, 2009 01:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Refner (Post 612976)
If the T is against the offensive team, they lose shots and possession. However, if the T is against the defensive team, they just lose shots because they didn't have possession in the first place. Why should there be more of a penalty if a team was on offense?

And that is different from a common foul how? B1 holds A1 and A just gets the ball out of bounds; no real penalty, they already had the ball. A1 holds B1 and A loses possession.

Adam Tue Jul 07, 2009 01:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LDUB (Post 613021)
And that is different from a common foul how? B1 holds A1 and A just gets the ball out of bounds; no real penalty, they already had the ball. A1 holds B1 and A loses possession.

This is somewhat equalized by the bonus and team control rules.

Back In The Saddle Tue Jul 07, 2009 02:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh Refner (Post 612976)
Having a rule like the NF does, where the offended team gets the shots and possession is not balanced. If the T is against the offensive team, they lose shots and possession. However, if the T is against the defensive team, they just lose shots because they didn't have possession in the first place. Why should there be more of a penalty if a team was on offense?

Which, I believe, was the biggest impetus for introducing the team control foul into HS basketball. I arguably makes the penalties less unequal, at least in some cases.

The same issue exists with free throw violations. If the offense violates, they lose a shot and possibly the ball. If the defense violates, the offense gets another shot if they miss. If they both violate, the penalty is harsher on the offense.

Now that you've uncovered the deep, dark secret we've been hiding from the media and the voting public, how would you change things to make it more fair?