The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 10:24am
MABO Member

What do you think?

This may be a had to be there situation but I'll do my best to describe what happened.

Boys 15U tourney - player is dribbling the ball, driving across half and starts to rise up in the air for a pass to an open team mate under the basket. As he is collecting the ball he fumbles it (IMO, he never actually got control to make the pass). The ball bounces away and he runs after it, catches it and finishes the pass.

Coach asks me why no travel. I explained my opinion about the fumble and he was allowd to collect the ball and finish the play. Was I correct? This was FIBA rules but I am sure its the same for all rule sets.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 10:28am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Good no-call, at least according to NFHS rules. I'm assuming the rules are the same everywhere on this one.
Old Fri Jul 03, 2009, 10:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Who You Gonna Call ??? Mythbusters ...

During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jul 07, 2009, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
During a fumble the player is not in control of the ball, and therefore, cannot be called for a traveling violation. A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball is unintentionally dropped or slips from a player’s grasp. After a player has ended a dribble and fumbled the ball, that player may recover the ball without violating. Any steps taken during the recovery of a fumble are not traveling, regardless of how far the ball goes and the amount of advantage that is gained. It is always legal to recover a fumble, even at the end of a dribble, however that player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation. A player who fumbles the ball when receiving a pass may legally start a dribble.
You summed it up nicely

4.15 comment in the situation section
"a player is not dribbling while slapping the ball during a jump, when a pass rebounds from his/her hand, when he/she fumble.... The player is not in control in these conditions"

We need to add a bit more on " player cannot begin a new dribble, which would be an illegal dribble violation." for completeness rule 9.5.3

"A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control becasue of

ART1 ... A try for field goal
Art 2 A touch by an opponent
Art 3 ... A pass or fumble which has then touched or been touched by another player"
Old Wed Jul 08, 2009, 08:11am
Official Forum Member

A mentor once told me "a player can fumble-dribble-fumble but never dribble-fumble-dribble." That quote sticks in my mind and has helped me avoid screwing this one up ever since.