The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pivot foot (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53834-pivot-foot.html)

ILMalti Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:14am

Pivot foot

Taken from an other thread

Player A1 jumps in the air and catches the ball in the air and lands on one foot (the other has not touched the floor), has a pivot foot been established?

just another ref Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:27am

No. If the second foot touches, the first to touch is the pivot. The other possibility is that the player jumps off the first foot to touch and lands simultaneously on both feet. In this case neither foot can be a pivot.

4-44-2

ILMalti Fri Jul 03, 2009 07:30am

so can the player hop?

bob jenkins Fri Jul 03, 2009 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILMalti (Post 612168)
so can the player hop?

Yes, but not legally.

ILMalti Fri Jul 03, 2009 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 612170)
yes, but not legally.

lol

Adam Fri Jul 03, 2009 09:08am

Quote:

so can the player hop?

What Bob said, because a pivot foot is not required for a traveling rule; even if dragging the pivot foot is sufficient.

Also, if memory serves on the pivot foot rule, if that player lands on one foot and stops moving, that foot is now the pivot. The "jump stop" rule applies to a moving player. Gonna have to check the book on it though.

Later.

BillyMac Fri Jul 03, 2009 09:45am

Let's all join in the fun ...

Quote:

Can the player hop?

Put your right foot forward
Put your left foot out
Do the Bunny Hop
Hop, hop, hop!

ILMalti Fri Jul 03, 2009 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 612196)
Put your right foot forward
Put your left foot out
Do the Bunny Hop
Hop, hop, hop!

I needed a laugh ... thanks

Nevadaref Mon Jul 06, 2009 03:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 612181)
Also, if memory serves on the pivot foot rule, if that player lands on one foot and stops moving, that foot is now the pivot. The "jump stop" rule applies to a moving player. Gonna have to check the book on it though.

Nope. The player may undertake this action at as slow of a pace as desired. The speed has absolutely no impact upon the legality of the movement for the traveling rule.

You are thinking of the "normal landing" that a player is allowed to make in the third article of the provisions for backcourt violations. In that scenario, it does matter.

Adam Mon Jul 06, 2009 04:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 612801)
Nope. The player may undertake this action at as slow of a pace as desired. The speed has absolutely no impact upon the legality of the movement for the traveling rule.

You are thinking of the "normal landing" that a player is allowed to make in the third article of the provisions for backcourt violations. In that scenario, it does matter.

No, I wasn't thinking of the normal landing.

I was thinking the traveling rule said "while moving" or something to that effect with regard to the "jump stop" portion. Now I'm gonna have to double check when I get home tonight.

Camron Rust Mon Jul 06, 2009 04:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 612807)
No, I wasn't thinking of the normal landing.

I was thinking the traveling rule said "while moving" or something to that effect with regard to the "jump stop" portion. Now I'm gonna have to double check when I get home tonight.

It is pretty hard to land on one foot if you're not moving.

Adam Mon Jul 06, 2009 04:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 612812)
It is pretty hard to land on one foot if you're not moving.

Right, but my reading of it led me to believe a player must keep "moving" thoughout the process. Speed is irrelevant, but continuity of motion is not (by my reading). So, if a player were to stop on one foot and hold still for a moment, then proceed to jump and land, it would be traveling.

Again, I need to do two things.
1. Re-read the rule.
2. Defer to more experienced officials' judgment.
3. Realize that this play will just never happen.
4. Learn to count.

Nevadaref Mon Jul 06, 2009 05:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 612813)
Right, but my reading of it led me to believe a player must keep "moving" thoughout the process. Speed is irrelevant, but continuity of motion is not (by my reading). So, if a player were to stop on one foot and hold still for a moment, then proceed to jump and land, it would be traveling.

Again, I need to do two things.
1. Re-read the rule.
2. Defer to more experienced officials' judgment.
3. Realize that this play will just never happen.
4. Learn to count.

5. Cease making up your own rules.
6. Don't use the one's that exist only in Padgett's head either.
7. Take your meds! ;)

Adam Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 612828)
5. Cease making up your own rules.
6. Don't use the one's that exist only in Padgett's head either.
7. Take your meds! ;)

Wow, I was expecting to have the chance to read up on this tonight, but circumstances changed when I walked in the house. Bottom line, still haven't read the rule.

Camron Rust Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 612881)
Wow, I was expecting to have the chance to read up on this tonight, but circumstances changed when I walked in the house. Bottom line, still haven't read the rule.

Here is the relevant part of the rule...
Rule 44....ART 2. A player, who catches the ball while moving or dribbling, may stop, and establish a pivot foot as follows:
a. If both feet are off the floor and the player lands
3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both.
b. If one foot is on the floor:
2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both.
Note that the "while moving" part is attached to the act of catching.