The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Uniform Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/53723-uniform-question.html)

SCalScoreKeeper Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:58pm

Uniform Question

Tonight was the first night of a girls summer league in our area. The officials were wearing gray shirts with the little stripes on them. Can anybody tell me what this means?

Camron Rust Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 610277)
Tonight was the first night of a girls summer league in our area. The officials were wearing gray shirts with the little stripes on them. Can anybody tell me what this means?

They think they're NBA officials.

DonInKansas Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:37pm

They don't use Tide with Bleach?

Nevadaref Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:47pm

Quote:

Many equipment suppliers were marketing them a couple of years ago before the NCAA came out with a directive that they were not to be worn at the D1 level. Some areas still wear them at the JC level, but the popularity declined greatly after the top level said no.

Some areas allow them to be worn at the HS level so many HS officials picked them up back then and those that cannot wear them for regular season games now just use them for summer stuff.

In short, it means nothing.

Mark Padgett Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:52pm

Quote:

The officials were wearing gray shirts with the little stripes on them.

Was it these guys? Man - I'd pay to see that, except I'd make Garretson the alternate.

http://www.nbra.net/Portals/0/1984_N...s_referees.jpg

dsqrddgd909 Tue Jun 23, 2009 06:32am

Now, THOSE were some good looking shirts. I wish the logo was bigger though.

grunewar Tue Jun 23, 2009 07:26am

Almost looks like their singing the National Anthem........:eek:

mbyron Tue Jun 23, 2009 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 610316)
Almost looks like their singing the National Anthem........:eek:

I was going to guess "Old Mill Stream." ;)

bob jenkins Tue Jun 23, 2009 08:27am

Quote:

I think they were wearing black shirts with really wide gray stripes.

Ref Ump Welsch Tue Jun 23, 2009 01:02pm

Officials working JUCO games in Iowa have been wearing those for a couple years now, at least. I think there was some talk about letting state associations allowing HS officials to wear them under state options...did that ever fly?

Bad Zebra Tue Jun 23, 2009 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch (Post 610381)
... I think there was some talk about letting state associations allowing HS officials to wear them under state options...did that ever fly?

We've been wearing them in Florida with our state's blessing for about 4 seasons. Personally, I like the zebra stripes better.

CaRef5 Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:12am

in the bay area ive only seen them for "summer ball" games...

or that is the only time i wear mine lol

zebraman Fri Jun 26, 2009 01:51am

They are approved for HS games in Washington State. We have our choice of wearing the gray or stripes - the only requirement is that the entire crew has the same shirt type.

Ch1town Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zebraman (Post 610871)
They are approved for HS games in Washington State. We have our choice of wearing the gray or stripes - the only requirement is that the entire crew has the same shirt type.

To have the option, that's a good deal there!
I prefer the greys over stripes any day. They're just so loud...
Although we wear them for Pro-AM, at the HS level we can only wear them for summer & rec ball :(

Nevadaref Sat Jun 27, 2009 02:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch1town (Post 611006)
To have the option, that's a good deal there!
I prefer the greys over stripes any day. There just so loud...
Although we wear them for Pro-AM, at the HS level we can only wear them for summer & rec ball :(

Where is it so loud? Up there in Washington state?

:D