The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

How much of OOB is yours?

How do you handle it if you're T or C and have to head back on the break as new L or C and swing wide and bump a coach?

In many rec leagues, and especially at tournaments where they make numerous courts instead of the standard one, it gets understandably crowded and giving more leeway is a given. But what about on a standard gym floor?
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 12:55pm
Ch1town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
How do you handle it if you're T or C and have to head back on the break as new L or C and swing wide and bump a coach?

But what about on a standard gym floor?
In both cases I go where I need to be to referee the play & if I happen to bump into a coach, I'm trying to put him on his a$$ j/k
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 12:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
I stop the game and call 911. The EMT's will have to get there quickly to work on that poor coach, since I probably knocked him about 5 rows up.

Of course, if he lands on his head, I just ignore it since he couldn't have hurt anything important.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 02:45pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you stand between him and the players, he will move every time.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 02:55pm
Courageous When Prudent

This is where being 6' 5"/245 comes in handy.

Luckily no one has step in my path yet. I have ref'd games in which Bryan Stith and Buck Williams were coaching. Those are 2 guys I wouldn't want to bounce off of.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 03:20pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This is where being 6' 5"/245 comes in handy.

Luckily no one has step in my path yet. I have ref'd games in which Bryan Stith and Buck Williams were coaching. Those are 2 guys I wouldn't want to bounce off of.
I have reffed games in which Maurice Lucas' kids, Maurice Jr. and David, were playing while Maurice was in the stands. Strangely enough, his kids got every call.

I've also reffed kids of former NBA players Rick Adelman, Kenny Carr and Kevin Kunnert. Kevin was a coach. Talk about a guy being big - whoa!

Here's the funny thing - Kenny Carr would keep yelling "traveling" whenever the other team had the ball. This from a guy who played in the NBA. Yeah - like he would know what traveling is.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 04:59pm
Official Forum Member

Who has OOB room? Dang near every game I work there's maybe 1-2 feet between OOB line and hitting players, much less coaches. Small towns, small gyms.

Last edited by DonInKansas; Wed Jun 03, 2009 at 05:04pm.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 05:39pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas View Post
Who has OOB room? Dang near every game I work there's maybe 1-2 feet between OOB line and hitting players, much less coaches. Small towns, small gyms.
Been there done that!
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 05:43pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I stop the game and call 911. The EMT's will have to get there quickly to work on that poor coach, since I probably knocked him about 5 rows up.

Of course, if he lands on his head, I just ignore it since he couldn't have hurt anything important.
I actually had this happen once in a sub-varsity game in both football and basketball. For some odd reason, both times involved a coach who used to play for the Huskers, and I somehow landed both of them on their a$$es. Later, they were asking me if I ever played for the Huskers and I said no, but I beat the h*LL out of one of their alumni brethren while playing HS football. When I identified which one, they both had the same reaction: YOU?!?

BTW, never had a problem with those respective coaches again. They learned to stay out of my way from there on. (Also, both coaches had played together, and played with the unmentionable player whom I beat up on in the good ol' days.)
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 06:31pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
For some odd reason, both times involved a coach who used to play for the Huskers, and I somehow landed both of them on their a$$es. Later, they were asking me if I ever played for the Huskers and I said no,.....
Should have told them you had played for the Sooners, which was why you were still standing and they weren't.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 07:23pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Should have told them you had played for the Sooners, which was why you were still standing and they weren't.
That would be heresy being a true-blooded Husker fan. Although, I was tempted to name the small college where I attended and was the equipment manager. Imagine their shock if they realized a small college guy flattened them.
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 07:39pm
Administrator

Girls' varsity basketball game in Michigan when the girls' season was still in the Fall.

V1 scores to cut H's lead to 2 points with less that just over (3) seconds left in the game. I am now the new L, table side. V presses, H1 inbounds the ball to H2, who passes to H2 along my sideline and she fires a pass into her team's front court. I sprint (yeah, I know, MTD, Jr., does not believe it either, ) upcourt to cover the pass and run over V-HC who is about five (5) feet onto the court giving the travel signal. You guessed it, TF on V-HC, with only 0.6 seconds on the clock, .

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jun 03, 2009, 07:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Girls' varsity basketball game in Michigan when the girls' season was still in the Fall.
Didn't they switch over around 1956?
Old Thu Jun 04, 2009, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I sprint upcourt to cover the pass and run over V-HC who is about five (5) feet onto the court giving the travel signal. You guessed it, TF on V-HC, with only 0.6 seconds on the clock, .

MTD, Sr.
You ever gonna T him up if he's OOB and you collide?
Old Fri Jun 05, 2009, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You ever gonna T him up if he's OOB and you collide?
If he's still gesturing with the travel signal, odds are pretty good.

(Used with permission.)