The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 12:46am
Official Forum Member

Question

i need a call on a technical. directly after the game ended, literally seconds, one of the players from the winning team ran onto the court and started screaming at the referees. i wanted to call a tech but i did not know if that was possible since it was after the game had ended. i am a collegiate referee, but this was during an intramurals final that follows the same rules as the NCAA. i want to know what happens if i call the tech, carry over to the next game, or free throw shots right then. the free throw shots would have given the losing team the opportunity to tie or win since they were down only one point. what should have been done, or still can be done about the game.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Take care of #1. There must be good security and game management, if not, get the hell out.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
If you have not left the visual confines of the floor, then you have the right to call a T. If the game is within two points, then we shoot free throws until the two shots or there is no longer a chance to win or tie the game. IF there is not a chance of this happening, then I would still call the T and record it in the book. IF there is some reporting mechanism whereby so many unsportmanlike Technicals and you are suspended from ever playing in the league, then I would do it. If there would be no preprocussions, shots or league action, then I would not call anything and get out of Dodge.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

I'd have to agree. It would be a tough situation and call, but as you describe it the player probably made it easier for you to decide whether to ignore or penalize the behavior. I'd bet he wouldn't ever do that again if you DID penalize him.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2000, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

[quote]Originally posted by Tim Roden on 03-03-2000 12:43 AM
If you have not left the visual confines of the floor, then you have the right to call a T.

In reading 2.2, it says that officials' jurisdiction begins when they arrive on the floor, but it also says it extends through the referees approval of the final score. In our league, we have been told that when the referee has signaled the game is over, it is over, nothing can then change the outcome or final score (with only protests over player eligibility entertained). This seems at odds with the philosophy that the referee can call a T as long as he is on the floor.
Old Sat Mar 04, 2000, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Coach, maybe in your league this might be true. I have only known the game is over when the officials leave the court. All case books i've read say the official is to call the T in this situation.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2000, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

If you did not T him the least you should have done was report his behavior to the coach, his parents and the league. There is a higher order than the rules of basketball.