The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 02:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Here's a puzzler

In another thread, tjchamp brought up a point about the backcourt violation rule. As we all know (at least most of us, anyhow), there are four criteria needed for a backcourt violation.

1) there must be team control
2) the ball must have achieved frontcourt status
3) the team in team control must be the last team to touch the ball in the frontcourt and...
4) that same team must be first to touch the ball after it has been in the backcourt

His situation was (I'm extrapolating) what if A1 had the ball in the front court, his pass to A2 is tipped by B1 who is standing in A's frontcourt, the ball then travels in the air toward A's backcourt where it is next touched by A3 who is standing in A's backcourt. His point was that when A3 touched the ball it established backcourt status for the ball but it still had frontcourt status when he touched it, therefore team A (because of A3's action) was last to touch in the frontcourt and also first to touch in the backcourt and, of course, the tip by B1 didn't end team A's team control because a tip doesn't establish player control which is what would be needed to change team control in this instance.

Can A3's touch accomplish both points at the same time? What do you think?
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 02:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

I may be in need of meds b/c I was actually thinking about this play this weekend.

I can actually understand the logic in the argument that this should be considered a b/c violation because it is A3's action which causes the ball to have b/c status, not B1's action. If A3 had reached across the division line plane from the frontcourt and caught the ball in the air with his hands in the b/c we wouldn't start a 10-second count because the ball never changed to b/c status.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I think that's what the NFHS interp tells us, so I think that is what happens.

I also think their thinking is a bit off. I think the NFHS should explain their way of thinking so the rest of us don't have to think as much about how to explain it to a coach who thinks we're nuts for making that call.

I guess a similar line of thinking would involve a throw-in; if the player catches the throw-in while standing with one foot OOB, the throw-in ends when it touched that player, and that same player caused the ball to be OOB. (Although the rule does specifically mention the throw-in ends when touching a player that is either in bounds or OOB.) So, I guess in that case two things can happen at once, so it's kind of the same, only different.

(Used with permission.)
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 02:50pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
In another thread, tjchamp brought up a point about the backcourt violation rule. As we all know (at least most of us, anyhow), there are four criteria needed for a backcourt violation.

1) there must be team control
2) the ball must have achieved frontcourt status
3) the team in team control must be the last team to touch the ball in the frontcourt and...
4) that same team must be first to touch the ball after it has been in the backcourt

His situation was (I'm extrapolating) what if A1 had the ball in the front court, his pass to A2 is tipped by B1 who is standing in A's frontcourt, the ball then travels in the air toward A's backcourt where it is next touched by A3 who is standing in A's backcourt. His point was that when A3 touched the ball it established backcourt status for the ball but it still had frontcourt status when he touched it, therefore team A (because of A3's action) was last to touch in the frontcourt and also first to touch in the backcourt and, of course, the tip by B1 didn't end team A's team control because a tip doesn't establish player control which is what would be needed to change team control in this instance.

Padgett! Just because you're out of meds doesn't mean you need to make the rest of us suffer with headaches trying to sort this thing out!
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Poor A3, if he had just let the ball bounce once in the backcourt before touching it, this thread would not have been started.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 04:02pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark padgett View Post
can a3's touch accomplish both points at the same time? What do you think?

no

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with Indianaref. Be patient and let it bounce before you grab it. As clear cut as this b/c violation is why do we have so many questions about it.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 07:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Haven't We Been Through This Before ???

2007-08 Basketball Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 10: A1, in the team's frontcourt, passes to A2, also in the team's frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A's backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A's frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A's backcourt, but never having touched in Team A's backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A's backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1; 4-4-3; 9-9-1)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

SITUATION 10: A1, in the team's frontcourt, passes to A2, also in the team's frontcourt. B1 deflects the ball toward Team A's backcourt. The ball bounces only in Team A's frontcourt before crossing the division line. While the ball is still in the air over Team A's backcourt, but never having touched in Team A's backcourt, A2 gains possession of the ball while standing in Team A's backcourt. RULING: Backcourt violation on Team A. Team A was still in team control and caused the ball to have backcourt status. Had A2 permitted the ball to bounce in the backcourt after having been deflected by B1, there would have been no backcourt violation. (4-4-1; 4-4-3; 9-9-1)
Thank you BillyMac. It's really not that hard although I bet the percentage of officials who call it properly is not very high.
I've actually had this 3 or 4 times.
Old Mon Apr 13, 2009, 08:18pm
We don't rent pigs

But for those of you who just joined us........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

Here's the problem: Causing the ball to have backcourt status is not a violation. The rule, as written, specifies "last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt." In the situation described in the interpretation, this simply did not happen.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, a lot of us dislike that interp.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 06:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Ransom Of Red Chief mbyron ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Yeah, a lot of us dislike that interp.
"Yeah" instead of "Yes"? "Interp" instead of "Interpretation"? Only eight words in the post, six of which have only one syllable, none of which are more than two syllables? No obscure references that send me to Wikipedia? What have you done with the real mbyron, and how much ransom do you want to keep him?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tjchamp
Think of it this way, if A3 were standing out of bounds when he touched it, would you call it out of bounds on B1? I think the interp just clarifies that the midcourt line acts like an OOB line.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjchamp View Post
Think of it this way, if A3 were standing out of bounds when he touched it, would you call it out of bounds on B1?
That would be rugby, which is a quite different game.
Old Tue Apr 14, 2009, 10:08am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Here's the problem: Causing the ball to have backcourt status is not a violation. .
Say what???