The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Player A1 is dribbling in her front court in a transition (fast break) situation.

As she gets to about the top of the key, A2 (who is around the free throw line) begins to "box out" or "post up" on defender B1 - the only player that would have an opportunity to make a play on A1. There was contact made which was iniated by A2. Although the contact was slight - let's for argument sake, say it did put team B at a disadvantage.

this is a 8 point game (Team A) leading with about 4 minutes to go. Do you call a foul? Illegal Screen, i.e. blocking? how hard are you going to "sell" that call or are you going to leave it alone and have a chat with A2 when you get an opportunity?

thanks,

Jake
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Persoanlly, I think there's a big difference in "boxing out" and "posting up."

If she's attempting to gain position so she can receive the ball, I don't have a foul,unless she displaces B1.

If she's "boxing out" B1, attmepting to screen her, and she's moving, I have a foul.

You stated that B1 was the only defender who had a chance to "make a play" on A1. My question would be, was she trying to defend her or trying to get to her to defend her? I think that's a key issue as well.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

B1 was about a step or two away from A1, coming at an angle. your distinction is an important one - A2 was "boxing out," that is, not attempting to receive the ball, rather setting a screen for A1.

it sounds to me like you'd have a foul in this situation?

jake
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

I think you answered your own question, if there is contact, and in YOUR opionion B was put at a disadvantage, then you have a foul, if not let it go.

I guess my brain if fried, becasue I cannot picture how I would call a foul on this play, unless there was displacement. Simply putting yourself between the defender and the person with the ball is not a foul, even if you move to maintain that screen, unless there is contact that puts the defender at a disadvantage. If you maintain a space that let's B adjust, I would let minor contact go.
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
Simply putting yourself between the defender and the person with the ball is not a foul, even if you move to maintain that screen, unless there is contact that puts the defender at a disadvantage. If you maintain a space that let's B adjust, I would let minor contact go.
Well said, Brian. I agree completely. But if A2 moves to initiate contact that hinders the defender, I would have a foul (I think).

I am thinking about a play during the NCAA tournament. I think it was this past March, but might've been in 2001. Same situation that we're discussing. A1 driving to the basket. B1 and A2 on the block. But A2 is hooking B1, holding him there, pinned to his hip, so B1 can't make a play on the ball. Lead official called it and the crowd booed and the announcers were bewildered. But when they showed the replay from the official's angle, you could see the hold as plain as day. Great call.

Chuck
Old Fri Jun 28, 2002, 08:54pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I think you answered your own question, if there is contact, and in YOUR opionion B was put at a disadvantage, then you have a foul, if not let it go.

I guess my brain if fried, becasue I cannot picture how I would call a foul on this play, unless there was displacement. Simply putting yourself between the defender and the person with the ball is not a foul, even if you move to maintain that screen, unless there is contact that puts the defender at a disadvantage. If you maintain a space that let's B adjust, I would let minor contact go.

Well said, Brian, especially your first paragraph.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Jun 30, 2002, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

I agree. Was there an anvantage/disadvantage situation? If there was, call it. Remember, they have an opinion, you have judgement! May the force be with you!!