The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I just completed my first camp and was, in some ways, amazed. Even though it was only a camp for new officials (3 years or less), I was pleased that my game work was not picked apart more. I was also pleased that most of the things the evaluators mentioned in the 2-man work were things I had already identified as areas I needed to work on by watching other officials.

I also had my first 3-man work. In my first game, I was so focused on the positioning and coverage areas that I was concerned I was missing fouls. When I mentioned it to the evaluator before the tape session started, he said from where he was sitting he didn’t see much he would have called that we let pass…all in all, a well called game from a rules enforcement perspective (then proceeded to tear us apart mechanically). That comment, made in passing, finally put in perspective what I had been hearing officials say about advantage/disadvantage. He pulled me aside after my last game and complemented me for correcting most of what he pointed out. If he was just trying to boost the ego back up a notch, it worked…always nice to be complimented by someone who knows how it should be done.

Looking back, I think I learned as much in the stands watching others work and asking questions. Can’t wait for the next camp in August.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Larry,

Hey, I just got my evaluations from camp this weekend at Nolan also. I had 3 different evaluators for 4 games, so I got alot of different comments. Hardest thing for me right now in 3 man is the "need for more double whistles".

One of my "things to work on" was having a patient whistle and seeing the whole play. It seemed like every time I was doing that outside of my primary (especially as C) the primary official got the call and all I could do is get my arm in the air belatedly.
Old Mon Jul 01, 2002, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
One of my "things to work on" was having a patient whistle and seeing the whole play. It seemed like every time I was doing that outside of my primary (especially as C) the primary official got the call and all I could do is get my arm in the air belatedly.
Scott, have you considered that perhaps your partner is whistling to quickly?

Call your game. Don't try to create a double whistle. It'll happen when it should if you just let the play develop. If a partner blows it quicker, don't worry about it.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Scott, have you considered that perhaps your partner is whistling to quickly?

Call your game. Don't try to create a double whistle. It'll happen when it should if you just let the play develop. If a partner blows it quicker, don't worry about it.
Thanks, that's what I'm working on. It's just that I got a few write-ups were for more double whistles.

I also had a comment that I blew my whistle too loud for a small gym
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I also had a comment that I blew my whistle too loud for a small gym [/B]
Scott, I heard several mention that they liked your "strong whistle". It was rather loud in that small, mostly empty, gym but I would rather have a whistle be too loud than not loud enough.

A public compliment...I thought you were one of the best officials working last weekend. Compared to the rest of us, you had good positioning, great mechanics, good communication, excellent rule knowledge and application in the game, etc. Don't know what the evaluators dinged you on, but I thought you were very good. Certainly farther along than me.

Hope that sounds like the compliment it was intended to be
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rpirtle Send a message via Yahoo to rpirtle
You all did great! Sorry I didn't get to hang around longer and evaluate more officials. But maybe we'll get to work some games together this coming season. I'm working on getting a program approved by the Board that will pair newer officials with veteran officials in pre-district games. Newer officials can work a JV game with the veteran officials that are scheduled to work the Var game immediately after. Anyway, hope you have a great summer. Keep working...but more importantly...have fun!!
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Quote:

Scott, I heard several mention that they liked your "strong whistle". It was rather loud in that small, mostly empty, gym but I would rather have a whistle be too loud than not loud enough.

A public compliment...I thought you were one of the best officials working last weekend. Compared to the rest of us, you had good positioning, great mechanics, good communication, excellent rule knowledge and application in the game, etc. Don't know what the evaluators dinged you on, but I thought you were very good. Certainly farther along than me.

Hope that sounds like the compliment it was intended to be [/B]
It certainly came across as a compliment and I appreciate it tremendously, but we can always improve.

Our evaluators impressed me with their knowledge, skill and willingness to share and camaraderie (I looked up the spelling cause it looks so funny)

I did notice that the whistle and the calls would sometimes echo, but I didn't want to get the "weak whistle" note. I hope its easier to tone down than figure out how to put more air into it.

[Edited by ScottParks on Jul 2nd, 2002 at 01:08 PM]
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rpirtle
You all did great! Sorry I didn't get to hang around longer and evaluate more officials. But maybe we'll get to work some games together this coming season. I'm working on getting a program approved by the Board that will pair newer officials with veteran officials in pre-district games. Newer officials can work a JV game with the veteran officials that are scheduled to work the Var game immediately after. Anyway, hope you have a great summer. Keep working...but more importantly...have fun!!
Sounds like a great way to get better. I know that when I got to call with some experienced guys this summer, it was an eye opening experience for me.
Old Tue Jul 02, 2002, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Quote:

Hope that sounds like the compliment it was intended to be
It certainly sounded like a compliment and I appreciate it tremendously, Thank you.

but I know I can always improve. It feels like I'll never know everything I need to know and how to apply everything that I do know. BUT, I am having fun. Where else do we get to run up and down the floor rather than on a treadmill, get to practice our listening skills and our management skills and get a few $$ spending money.

Our evaluators impressed me with their knowledge, skill and willingness to share and camaraderie (I looked up the spelling cause it looks so funny)

I did notice that the whistle and the calls would sometimes echo, but I didn't want to get the "weak whistle" note. I hope its easier to tone down than figure out how to put more air into it.

[Edited by ScottParks on Jul 2nd, 2002 at 01:08 PM] [/B]