The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 02:47am
Official Forum Member

I have a substitution question. Team A is shooting two freethrows at the end of a game (3 seconds left) while down by three. They call timeout and during the timeout, the coach tried to sub but after the 45 second horn had sounded so they referees didn't allow them to come in at the time. My question is can those subs come in after the first free throw is shot? They were not allowed to and I was wondering if this was correct? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
quote:
Originally posted by akingsfan on 03-03-2000 01:47 AM
I have a substitution question. Team A is shooting two freethrows at the end of a game (3 seconds left) while down by three. They call timeout and during the timeout, the coach tried to sub but after the 45 second horn had sounded so they referees didn't allow them to come in at the time. My question is can those subs come in after the first free throw is shot? They were not allowed to and I was wondering if this was correct? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

They are allowed to come in after the first shot.

Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Believe you should have allowed the sub to enter after the first free throw and here's why. I had almost this exact same situation happen to me this year except with a little added twist.
A1 called TO before the first FT, then tried to sub after the 1st horn. We told the sub, A6, to wait. After the first FT, B6 reported to enter the game. We motioned in both A6 and B6. Coach of B said we could not allow A6 to enter because she reported after the 1st horn, but insisted that his sub could enter since she did not report as part of the timeout. We allowed both to enter the game since this was the next opportunity to enter the game. The only time a sub is not allowed to enter is if that player had just came out of the game and is trying to re-enter before the clock has been started.
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 11:04am
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

I agree with BK and Schmidt.
"The next opportunity" , and it was after the first throw.
mick
Old Fri Mar 03, 2000, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the comments on this one. This was in a game that I was watching, which was in the first round of the AAA state tournament, and was under the impression that the subs were supposed to be able to enter after the free throw but the referees of the game did not allow it, so I was just checking to see if they were wrong or if my thinking was wrong. Thanks for the feedback.