The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 03:54am
Official Forum Member

NCAA: Tripping Over a Defender

NIT game last night. A1 with the ball. B1 is turning away from A1 to go guard another player. As he's turning away (and moving backwards) A1 begins his dribble. A1 steps on B1's foot causing A1 to go down and lose control of the ball. No call made. Coach unhappy.

Based on an old case play Bob Jenkins cited in another thread it appears its nothing in FED. Is it a foul in NCAA? Color guy says its an automatic foul anytime a dribbler trips over a defender.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 04:17am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Color guy says its an automatic foul anytime a dribbler trips over a defender.
And we always listen to and believe the announcers!
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 06:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

That's What I Tell The Coaches ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Color guy says its an automatic foul anytime a dribbler trips over a defender.
There's a difference between tripping, and being tripped.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 06:28am
Lighten up, Francis.

If a dribbler trips over a player who is lying on the floor, it is a foul on the defender. If a dribbler trips over a player who has LGP, it's his own dumb fault.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

It was the Kentucky/UNLV game.

Illegal contact which causes a dribbler to fall to the floor and lose the ball is one of the two "abolutes" which new officiating coordinator John W. Adams established this year. If such takes place, it must be called a foul.

The problem with the play in this game was that even after seeing several replays I don't believe that the contact was illegal or caused by the defender. The dribbler seemed to step onto the foot of a defensive player who was not even attempting to guard him and had arrived at his spot on the floor first. Therefore, although there was contact between the two players and the dribbler definitely went to the floor, I don't believe that there was illegal contact.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jalons
[QUOTE=Color guy says its an automatic foul anytime a dribbler trips over a defender.[/QUOTE]

He also made the comment that because "the referees missed the call, Coach Kruger should be allowed to blow off steam" and "the referees are doing a good job of not assessing a technical foul because they made the mistake" and "hopefully this game doesn't come down to one possession the referees took away from UNLV."

I'm with Nevada on this one. It appeared the defender (who was leaving the ball handler) had his foot on the floor and the offensive player stepped on that foot, causing him to go down and lose the ball OOB.

Did Kentucky not want to play an NIT game in Rupp Arena (after their long run of NCAA tournament appearances), hence the the game was played Memorial Arena?
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons View Post
He also made the comment that because "the referees missed the call, Coach Kruger should be allowed to blow off steam" and "the referees are doing a good job of not assessing a technical foul because they made the mistake" and "hopefully this game doesn't come down to one possession the referees took away from UNLV."

I'm with Nevada on this one. It appeared the defender (who was leaving the ball handler) had his foot on the floor and the offensive player stepped on that foot, causing him to go down and lose the ball OOB.

Did Kentucky not want to play an NIT game in Rupp Arena (after their long run of NCAA tournament appearances), hence the the game was played Memorial Arena?
Rupp was already booked.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalons View Post
I'm not sure if it was the color guy or not but there was a mention of "make-up fouls" that are given since the "missed" call on the trip happened.

Things that make you go UGH!
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Rupp was already booked.
Pretty sure they thought the would be playing in a NCAA Tournament Arena somewhere...maybe Boise, ID?
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Rupp was already booked.
Kentucky does their HS tournament a little different. They have what is called the sweet sixteen. They have 16 regions and the winner of each region comes to a single site and a 4 or 5 day event to get to the championship of the state. They have a single class of basketball, the way it should be! The arena is tied up from 10 am - 10 pm every day. It is a pretty neat event.
Old Wed Mar 18, 2009, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
It was the Kentucky/UNLV game.

Illegal contact which causes a dribbler to fall to the floor and lose the ball is one of the two "abolutes" which new officiating coordinator John W. Adams established this year. If such takes place, it must be called a foul.

The problem with the play in this game was that even after seeing several replays I don't believe that the contact was illegal or caused by the defender. The dribbler seemed to step onto the foot of a defensive player who was not even attempting to guard him and had arrived at his spot on the floor first. Therefore, although there was contact between the two players and the dribbler definitely went to the floor, I don't believe that there was illegal contact.

I agree, I was watching the game and saw the replays, didn't look like anything but incidental contact. The defender was leaving the spot and turning away from the dribbler to go guard someone else. Looked like the dribbler just stepped on his foot and fell. Contact was not caused by the defender and there was no intent to trip the ballhandler, the defender didn't extend the foot or leg or anything. Jimmy Dykes the color man was wrong on his comments on this one. I enjoy listening to him call games but I think he was off on this one. The no call did change the momentum of the game but it was a good no call.