The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   star (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52368-star.html)

M&M Guy Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 589305)

Great list, but when I get down to the Expanded Character Entity List, Misc. Symbols, I cannot see a great many of them, even on this website. On the ones I can't see, within the brackets all I see are two vertical, light-colored lines. For example, I can see the "Ohm" symbol, but I cannot see the "Inverted Ohm" symbol.

What's the deal? Do I have one of them state-of-the-art military machines too?

Adam Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:28am

You don't need to be so hurtful about it.

M&M Guy Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 589309)
You don't need to be so hurtful about it.

<font>;) :D</font>

mbyron Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:56am

Here: try this list.

Welpe Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 589259)
It was a pretty cool gadget, sort of like a hybrid...

They ran on both gasoline AND batteries? Amazing! :eek:

Adam Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 589358)
They ran on both gasoline AND batteries? Amazing! :eek:

Thoser were the later, greener models. Originally, they ran on steam (from burning coal.)

ILMalti Wed Mar 18, 2009 01:24pm

Depending on what font you are using is what you should see. In other words behind the charachter is a 1 or 2 byte value, which can be mapped to different images depending on the fonts.
To see all these maps you could go to start --> All programs --> accessories --> System tool --> Character mapping (assuming Windows and beyond)

You will find the star in various maps Ex : Font Wingdings/2 (0XAC)
That is probably why people are seeing different images.

I am quite positive there is much more to this, but this seesm to be the cause of the issues mentioned above.

Raymond Wed Mar 18, 2009 01:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILMalti (Post 589378)
Depending on what font you are using is what you should see. In other words behind the charachter is a 1 or 2 byte value, which can be mapped to different images depending on the fonts.
To see all these maps you could go to start --> All programs --> accessories --> System tool --> Character mapping (assuming Windows and beyond)

You will find the star in various maps Ex : Font Wingdings/2 (0XAC)
That is probably why people are seeing different images.

I am quite positive there is much more to this, but this seesm to be the cause of the issues mentioned above.

I learned something new.

Welpe Wed Mar 18, 2009 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 589366)
Thoser were the later, greener models. Originally, they ran on steam (from burning coal.)

Oh good point, though I thought it was steam and the tears of children.

Edit: Oh my we've done it now, look at the ad banners on the top.

Juulie Downs Wed Mar 18, 2009 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 589366)

I've heard tell that there were models that were entirely human-powered, but that may just be an eco-dream...

NICK Thu Mar 19, 2009 01:44am

In your MS word document, double click INSERT. When the drop down menu appears, click on Symbols then take your choice. Cheers

Adam Thu Mar 19, 2009 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 589420)
Oh good point, though I thought it was steam and the tears of children.

You are correct, the coal heats the tears to steam.

Adam Thu Mar 19, 2009 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juulie Downs (Post 589483)
I've heard tell that there were models that were entirely human-powered, but that may just be an eco-dream...

That sounds far fetched; sort of like the rumor about watches that don't need batteries. ;)

ILMalti Thu Mar 19, 2009 03:10pm

If the font you are using does not map the symbol (ex star), you cannot just simply " double click INSERT", you need to change font and get your symbol.
Each charachter in each font map has a unique hex value, however the same value can be used across multiple font maps to represent differnt charachters. That is why enbedded within your word document are strings of control characters to identify charechteristics such as FONT being used, size, colour etc etc,

Word is kind enough to remember the "recently use symbols", but if you look at the lower lefthand corner, the font name and the decimal value is given
What makes the symbol unique is "FONT + hex value (offset into the map table)".

Al lot of applications do not offer this "symbol feature".

Regardless of all of this, the problem lies on the receiver side not the sender. If the receiver get the word document and does not have the FONT that the sender used, the symbol seen by the receiver will be different (depends on what the receivers default FONT is) and thus a different symbol is seen. (Example I gave was the 0xAC in Wingdings font maps to a 6 pointed star but in FONT Arial it is a NOT sign.
The only way I know to ensure that the receivers get the image you want them to get is by resorting to a graphic representation of the symol.

In summary and repeating myself (sorry)
If the receiving application does not support (ie does not have the font map for example), then the representation will be whatever the current FONT being used maps the hex value/s too (please note some symbols are represented by 2 bytes) ,

Appologies for the length of this reply