The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 21, 2002, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have never done 3 man mechanics before (our assn. uses 2 man exclusively) but I was invited to do a high school varsity summer tournament during which I will be evaluated in the event that we switch to 3 man. I need advice on how to prepare. What areas do you think might be emphasized on an evaluation? Floor coverage? Rotations? How can I best impress these folks? Thanks in advance for your assistance!
Old Fri Jun 21, 2002, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Study the coverage areas. In 3 man, you really have to trust your partners and stay out of the areas. That's probably the biggest thing they'll be looking for. The primary areas are different than with 2 man. If you don't know where your primary is, you'll find yourself calling 2 man areas.
Old Sat Jun 22, 2002, 07:53am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Flexing:
  • As Lead, feel free to move across to create strong side coverage. Don't let a Center handle four to six players and the ball by himself. Get over there and help. You may not be "on ball" on the "cross over", but you will be available.
  • As Trail and Center, know where the Lead is and adjust immediately to Lead's positioning.

Slow Center:
  • On a backcourt change of possession, (in particular an endline throw-in with the presence of two or more defenders) the New Center should be "slow" in leaving for the front court in order to assist the New Trail with back court pressure.
  • If there is no fast break, pause at the division line to assist with a potential problem.
  • During a fast break, of course, the "Slow Center" is busting down the court to help the New Lead.
  • A three-man crew is only as good as it's Center.
    Old Sat Jun 22, 2002, 11:22am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
    Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    A three-man crew is only as good as it's Center.
    I like mick's emphasis on the C position. When I work 3-man, it's always emphasized that the C must be involved. The C can't just sit back and let the "ball side" officials handle everything. If the C is not involved, you might as well work a 2-man game.

I also agree wholeheartedly with TH when he says that you must know your primary and stay in it, unless somebody gets killed and both your partners miss it. Trusting your partners is stressed more than in 2-man. If I had to guess (and I'm obviously just guessing), I would say that calling in your primary is the major focus of an evaluation for a guy who's new at 3-man.

Quote:
    As Trail and Center, know where the Lead is and adjust immediately to Lead's positioning.

Now, here's just a question, b/c I don't work 3-man at all in my high school games. Does Fed say that the C should move to the T position as soon as the L starts his rotation? I ask b/c the NBA mechanic is for the C (or Slot, in the NBA lingo) official to hold his position until the L has come completely across the lane and "accepted" the play. This means that you have two C officials for 2 or 3 seconds until the L has settled into his position. But it keeps the "old C" from moving away from a play that he is officiating. What's the proper Fed mechanic for rotating from C to T?

Chuck
    Old Sat Jun 22, 2002, 03:30pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Originally posted by ChuckElias
    Quote:
    Originally posted by mick
    A three-man crew is only as good as it's Center.
    I like mick's emphasis on the C position. When I work 3-man, it's always emphasized that the C must be involved. The C can't just sit back and let the "ball side" officials handle everything. If the C is not involved, you might as well work a 2-man game.

I also agree wholeheartedly with TH when he says that you must know your primary and stay in it, unless somebody gets killed and both your partners miss it. Trusting your partners is stressed more than in 2-man. If I had to guess (and I'm obviously just guessing), I would say that calling in your primary is the major focus of an evaluation for a guy who's new at 3-man.

Quote:
    As Trail and Center, know where the Lead is and adjust immediately to Lead's positioning.

Now, here's just a question, b/c I don't work 3-man at all in my high school games. Does Fed say that the C should move to the T position as soon as the L starts his rotation? I ask b/c the NBA mechanic is for the C (or Slot, in the NBA lingo) official to hold his position until the L has come completely across the lane and "accepted" the play. This means that you have two C officials for 2 or 3 seconds until the L has settled into his position. But it keeps the "old C" from moving away from a play that he is officiating. What's the proper Fed mechanic for rotating from C to T?

Chuck
    Chuck,
    I know of no specific reference.
    Yes, there are certain times when something intense is happening on the floor in the Center's area when the Lead comes across. I agree that we don't want to bail out on a play just because we have help from a partner that probably didn't see the entire action initially. We allow the action to play out, and then assume a position closer to the division line.
    But, it's a fact that while the Lead is on your side and you are now at "Shallow Trail", that is when that quick turnover happens and you realize that you are the new lead ... and your are late! Get on that horse!
    mick
    Old Sat Jun 22, 2002, 06:56pm
    Official Forum Member

We always say that it's better to have two C's than to have two T's. The Center should be the last man to rotate. But like mick said, you're better to ready to "boogity-boogity-boogity!"

Sorry, too much Darrell Waltrip on Sunday afternoon!! ;D
    Old Mon Jun 24, 2002, 11:18pm
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rburn22281
    Went to camp this weekend at calst/sanbern.
    Lead- If the defense is playing a zone, dont not be in a rush to rotate over. Most likely the ball is coming right back to the strong side. Concentrate on post play. Those players in the post is yours. YOU have no 3 point coverage so do not signal on a 3 point attempt. When you go from trail to lead, bust your tail to get down court. Let the play come to you. b