The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Defender jumping laterally bumps into offensive player doing a lay-up. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/52184-defender-jumping-laterally-bumps-into-offensive-player-doing-lay-up.html)

christianH Tue Mar 10, 2009 09:05am

Defender jumping laterally bumps into offensive player doing a lay-up.

..." A player (adapt.) who has jumped into the air from a place on the playing court has the right to land on another place on the playing court provided that the landing place and the direct path between the take-off and the landing places is not already occupied by an opponent(s) at the time of take-off".. FIBA art 33.6

also:

..."When moving to mantain the initial legal guarding position, one or both feet may be off the floor for an instant, as long as the movement is lateral or backwards, but not towards the player with the ball"... - FIBA art 33.4

My question is: Imagine a situation when the defensive player jumps laterally and at the time of the 'take off' there was nobody between him and the landing place.

However in the interim between his take off and landing a player with the ball gets in his way when driving to the basket with a lay-up.

Who's responsible for the contact?

thanks a lot!

JugglingReferee Tue Mar 10, 2009 09:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianH (Post 586971)
My question is: Imagine a situation when the defensive player jumps laterally and at the time of the 'take off' there was nobody between him and the landing place.

However in the interim between his take off and landing a player with the ball gets in his way driving to the basket by making lay-up.

Who's responsible for the contact?

Who do you believe is responsible for the contact, and why?

christianH Tue Mar 10, 2009 09:18am

Well..

I was thinking about the situation and actually this is a very unlike situation.

When a player jumps into the air laterally he does so mostly because he is late and he had been beaten by the offensive player.

So I think in these circumstances the defender is responsible for the contact.

Am I right?

thanks

Adam Tue Mar 10, 2009 06:29pm

Where is the contact on the respective players?

ILMalti Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:21pm

The defender can only claim ownership of the spot he started his/her jump from.
if, as in the case of you scenario, on landing the offensive was hit at a different spot from take off , then a blocking foul on the defender should be called (I would anyway).

Adam Wed Mar 11, 2009 06:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILMalti (Post 587438)
The defender can only claim ownership of the spot he started his/her jump from.
if, as in the case of you scenario, on landing the offensive was hit at a different spot from take off , then a blocking foul on the defender should be called (I would anyway).

This is not true of the defender had established LGP, in which case he can be moving sideways or backwards when contact is made. He does not need to be on the floor in order to take advantage of the extra benefits granted for having LGP.

The caveat is whether or not the offensive player had jumped as well, in which case the defender would need to be in position prior to the offensive player jumping.

just another ref Wed Mar 11, 2009 06:28pm

If the defender had LGP and while legally maintaining it became airborne, then the offensive player moved into him, it would be a PC foul.

ILMalti Wed Mar 11, 2009 06:39pm

The situation described stated :

"My question is: Imagine a situation when the defensive player jumps laterally and at the time of the 'take off' there was nobody between him and the landing place."

Which indicates to me that

A) The ofensive player went past head and shoulder

or

b) NO LGP

Hence block foul on defender

Comments?

Adam Wed Mar 11, 2009 06:55pm

If that's how you see it, then yes, blocking foul. My point was, there's nothing in the OP that makes this the only call possible.

If the defender had LGP and contact was in the defender's torso, it's probably (98.13413414315415%) a PC. If the defender never established LGP or contacted the dribbler on the side; easy block.

christianH Wed Mar 25, 2009 06:54am

I have been away for a while

Thanks guys for your help and sorry Snaqwells as I didn't reply to your question above. Anyway I think now it is too late.

For what I understood it all depends on where the contact happened, if in the torso or not.

fullor30 Wed Mar 25, 2009 07:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by christianH (Post 591157)
I have been away for a while

Thanks guys for your help and sorry Snaqwells as I didn't reply to your question above. Anyway I think now it is too late.

For what I understood it all depends on where the contact happened, if in the torso or not.

I am a newbie unexperienced ref.

I have language problems as english is not my 1st language.. please bear with me

You are doing fine and anyone that speaks two or more languages certainly doesn't have a problem. :)

Talk about problems...............Arbitro, llamada juego a ambos lagos.

christianH Wed Mar 25, 2009 08:02am

Oye amigo

muchas gracias por tu ayuda !!

We are posh international referees ( in potential )