The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jevaque
Dealing with coaches

I know there was a couple threads on this topic. Could someone help me find them.
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 11:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

COMMUNICATION WITH COACHES

General Techniques:
Statements by coaches don’t normally need a response. Answer questions, not statements.
Let the coach ask their question first, before speaking. Be a responder, not an initiator.
Most coaches will have questions when they believe the officials have missed an obvious call.
Having the officials in closer proximity often calms down the coach.
Be in control and speak in calm, easy tones. Be aware of your body language; maintain positive and confident body language.
Make eye contact with the coach when the situation allows.
Do not try to answer a question from an out of control coach; deal with the behavior first.
If you’ve missed a call or made a mistake; admit it. This technique can only be used sparingly, perhaps once a game.
Don’t bluff your way through a call.
Do not ignore a coach.

Specific Communication Examples:

Coach sees the play very differently than the official:
“Coach, if that’s the way it happened/what you saw, then I must have missed it. I’ll take a closer look next time.”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, however, on that play I didn’t see it that way. I’ll keep an eye for it on both ends.”
“Coach, I had a good look at that play and here’s what I saw (short explanation).”
“Coach, I understand what you’re saying, but my angle was different than yours.”
“Coach, I had a great look at that play, but I understand your question and I’ll have the crew keep an eye on it.”
“Coach, I had that play all the way and made the call.”

Coach believes you’re missing persistent illegal acts by the other team:
“OK coach, we’ll watch for that.”
“Coach, we are watching for that on both ends of the court.”

Coach is questioning a partner’s call:
“Coach, that’s a good call, as a crew we have to make that call.”
“We’re calling it on both ends.”
“Coach, he/she was right there and had a great angle.”
“Coach, we’re not going there, I can’t let you criticize my partner.”
“Coach, he/she had a great look, but if you have a specific question, you’ll have to ask him/her, he/she’ll be over here in just a minute.”

Coach is very animated and gesturing:
“Coach, I’m going to talk with you and answer your questions, but you must put your arms down/stop the gesturing.”
“Coach, please put your arms down. Now, what’s your question?”

Coach is raising their voice asking the question:
“Coach, I can hear you. I’m standing right here, you don’t need to raise your voice.”
"Coach, I need you to stop raising your voice and just ask your question calmly.”

Coach is commenting on something every time down the floor:
“Coach, I need you to pick your spots, we can’t have a comment on every single call that is being made.”

Coach has a good point and might be right.
“You’ve got a good point and might be right about that play.”
“You might be right, that’s one we’ll talk about at halftime/intermission/the next time out.”
“You might be right; I may not have had the best angle on that play.”

Coach is venting, make editorial comments:
“I hear what you’re saying”
“I hear what you’re saying, but we’re moving on.”

Coach just won’t let it go:
“I’ve heard enough and that’s your warning.”

Source: Topeka (Kansas) Officials Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 11:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Treat coaches and players in a courteous way.

REFEREE COMMUNICATION CHECKLIST

Below are some points to keep in mind when officiating sports at any level. All officials must have a good working knowledge of the rules and mechanics. In addition to this, very successful officials have an understanding of the human relations aspect of their jobs.

BE COMPETITIVE - The players give maximum effort, so should you. Tell yourself, "I'm not going to let this game get away from me. I am better than that." You are hired to make the calls that control the game—Make them!

DON'T BE A TOUGH GUY - If a coach is on your back but not enough to warrant a penalty, then stay away from him (or her). This is especially true during time-outs. Standing near an unhappy coach, just to "show him", will only lead to further tensions. Some officials develop irritating characteristics. Don't be one of them.

GET INTO THE FLOW OF THE GAME - Each game is different. Good officials can feel this difference. Concentrate on the reactions of the players. Take note if the tempo of the game changes. A ragged game calls for a different style of officiating from a smooth one.

DON'T BARK - If you don't like to be shouted at, don't shout at someone else. Be firm but with a normal relaxed voice. This technique will do wonders in helping you to reduce the pressure. Shouting indicates a loss of control not only of one's self, but also of the game.

SHOW CONFIDENCE - Cockiness has absolutely no place in officiating. You want to exude confidence. Your presence should command respect from the participants. As in any walk of life, appearance, manner, and voice determine how you are accepted. Try to present the proper image.

FORGET THE FANS - As a group, fans usually exhibit three characteristics: ignorance of the rules, highly emotional partisanship and delight in antagonizing the officials. Accepting this fact will help you ignore the fans, unless they interrupt the game or stand in the way of you doing your job.

ANSWER REASONABLE QUESTIONS - Treat coaches and players in a courteous way. If they ask you a question reasonably, answer them in a polite way. If they get your ear by saying "Hey ref, I want to ask you something", and then start telling you, interrupt and remind them of the reason for the discussion. Be firm, but relaxed.

CHOOSE YOUR WORDS WISELY - Don't obviously threaten a coach or player. This will only put them on the defensive. More importantly, you will have placed yourself on the spot. If you feel a situation is serious enough to warrant a threat, then it is serious enough to penalize, without invoking a threat. Obviously some things you say may be in the form of a threat, but using the proper words can make it subtle.

STAY COOL - Your purpose is to establish a calm environment for the game. Nervous or edgy officials are easily spotted by fans, coaches and players alike. Avidly chewing gum, pacing around, or displaying a wide range of emotions prior to or during a game will serve to make you seem vulnerable to the pressure.

The ability to “handle” players and coaches is crucial to becoming a complete official. To “handle” players and coaches is in reality being able to effectively communicate with them in a situation of natural conflict. Good officials are game managers and good officiating facilitates the event, ensuring that the outcome is dependent upon the skills and tactics of the players. Managers deal with people and the key to their success is the ability to effectively communicate with others. This communication comes in both verbal and nonverbal forms. Verbal communications include the spoken work and the volume. What you say as an official is vitally important by the choice of words you use or do not use. Your choice of words may inflame a situation or be a settling influence. Likewise the volume of your words whether loud or soft often indicates how much you are in control of your own emotions. Sometimes just as important as verbal communication is the nonverbal communication. This nonverbal communication would include body language (posture, physical appearance, gestures, facial expressions), spatial relationships (space between officials and players/coaches) and paralanguage (how you say things). Good communicators in any walk of life are ones that manage themselves and those they are communicating with. They demonstrate mutual respect from a professional relationship while understanding each other’s responsibilities. Being a “Buddy” or “Enemy” personalizes a relationship that is unhealthy in this arena of natural conflict. You are a “Buddy” to the coach or player until a call goes against him or her and then you become their enemy. Communication is the key to “handling” players and coaches. Be a good listener. Let coaches have their say. Acknowledge the coach’s or player’s concern. Do not raise your voice and avoid the use of threatening hand or arm gestures. To get respect from players and coaches show them respect. Try to understand their motivation. If you make a mistake, admit it. Do not always insist on having the last word in a discussion or disagreement. You as an official must be under control when everything around you may be chaotic. Above all else be professional and approachable.

Source: Missouri State High School Activities Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Sun Mar 01, 2009, 11:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

In order to truly deal properly with coaches, or Howler Monkeys as we call them, you must understand their language. Since I am the universally recognized expert on the Howler Monkey language, I thought I'd post some of the more common translated phrases. The Howler Monkey phrase is designated as "HM", with the English translation shown as "E".

HM: call it both ways
E: call it my way

HM: you suck ref
E: my vocabulary has not progressed since the fifth grade, so I will use a term that truly reflects my maturity level to insult you

HM: the foul count is 8 to 2
E: instead of admitting I have no clue how to teach proper defense, I will blame you so my A.D. won't fire me

HM: that's over the back (also see: that's a reach, etc.)
E: I will now try to impress my supporters with my vast knowledge of the rules by making some comments I once heard while listening to Billy Packer on television

HM: that's the worst officiated game I ever saw
E: boy, my coaching sucked tonight but you'll never get me to admit it

HM: great job, ref
E: I have you again next week and I'm sucking up

HM: that's terrible
E: I have heard that phrasing a comment in this manner might be taken by you as not being a personal comment, so I think I can get away with saying it this way and not get a technical

HM: you're terrible
E: since you are smart enough not to make a distinction between "that's terrible" and "you're terrible" and you gave me a technical for yelling "that's terrible", this time I figure I might as well get my money's worth

HM: how can you call that
E: I have no idea what you called or why - all I know is the call went against my team and I had to say something

HM: watch number 5 on the other team - he's holding my guys all night
E: none of my guys are quick enough to get around number 5

HM: you'll never work in this gym again
E: you called a great game but we lost and there's no way I'm going to let anyone blame me
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 12:12am
Official Forum Member

Now Mark, I do love your sarcasm, but there are a few of us that truly believe it when we say good job. Also, I have on occasion to ask an official or two to watch certain players, but its very specific actions.

Early in the year, in a double header, the first game was officiated by one official. During the 4th Q, an official I recognized walked into the gym. He apparently worked at the home school and was just there to watch a game on a night off. His partner asked if he could work the next game with him. Of course he asked if his principal had any objections, and then asked me. I told him we didnt, he had called games for us before, I knew him. I knew there would be no problems and there were not. I told him after the game that I really appreciated what he did. I meant it...
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 06:39am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Lightbulb

Last night B9th/10th grade rec game.

Me: TWEEET! Traveling signal - W21.

White Coach as I go by the bench: "Wonder where his luggage was?"

Me:

As I go by the next time:

White Coach: "You know, Samsonite, luggage, traveling....."

Me: "Oh, got it coach. Missed it the first time." Duh!
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 07:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
HM: the foul count is 8 to 2
E: instead of admitting I have no clue how to teach proper defense, I will blame you so my A.D. won't fire me
Just a quick note, I had a coach complain to me that the foul count was 10 to 3 at half time. He says " 10 fouls to 3" and shook his head, " How is that possible? 10 fouls to 3".

I look at the score board and it was 10 fouls to 3, but the 10 were against the other team...they just want something to complain about.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 12:08pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
" How is that possible? 10 fouls to 3".
"You see, coach, here's how it works. When one team has committed 10 fouls and the other team has committed 3 fouls, then the foul count is 10 fouls to 3. I can explain it again slower if you didn't get it that time."
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevaque View Post
I know there was a couple threads on this topic. Could someone help me find them.
But still no one gives him what he really wanted, namely some links to past threads...
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

dealing with coaches
Dealing with Coaches
http://forum.officiating.com/basebal...g-coaches.html
http://forum.officiating.com/basebal...g-coaches.html

These were all on the bottom of the page under "Similar Threads".
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 02:17pm
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
But still no one gives him what he really wanted, namely some links to past threads...
Ha ha ha, This is True.... BUT if he grabbed the scroll bar on the right side of the page, and dragged it all the way to the bottom he would have the same result as the previous post.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Mon Mar 02, 2009, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Don't deal with coaches - be proactive and make them deal with you!
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

I tell them "nice game, good job" sometimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Now Mark, I do love your sarcasm, but there are a few of us that truly believe it when we say good job. Also, I have on occasion to ask an official or two to watch certain players, but its very specific actions.
I hope the officials I sometimes compliment see me as being sincere. Maybe I should stop doing this. Not sure exactly why, but I tend to make post game compliments when I've been a spectator and not after a game I just coached in.

I've actually had maybe 2-3 referees compliment me after a game over the years. It's always the same general remark, "You have a good team there Coach."
Old Tue Mar 03, 2009, 08:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

It Was A Dark And Stormy Night ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcoach7 View Post
I hope the officials I sometimes compliment see me as being sincere. Maybe I should stop doing this. I've actually had maybe 2-3 referees compliment me after a game over the years. It's always the same general remark, "You have a good team there Coach."
I've been on both sides of this. When I was coaching middle school basketball, I occasionally had an official compliment my coaching. I've also had coaches compliment me on my officiating. But now it's time for me to tell you all a story. Are you all comfy?

When I was a junior varsity official I stayed to watch a rather intense varsity game following mine. Team A had just won the close game, with both coaches really "working" the varsity guys. The three of us, the two varsity officials, and me, went to the dressing room after the final horn. We sat there for a few minutes discussing the intensity of this game, when a knock came at the door. The Team A coach stuck his head in the door and said, "Nice job guys". One of the varsity officials, the one who took most of the abuse during the game, replied to the coach, "Would you have said that if you had lost?". It took both me, and the other varsity official, to pull these two apart to keep them from killing each other. Was the varsity official unprofessional in his reply? Yes, of course. But the coach should have stayed away from the dressing room.

And they lived happily ever after. The end.

Old Wed Mar 04, 2009, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with you Billy Mac

A coach can't complain and whine at officials all game then expect those same officials to pretend it never happened by offering a too little, too late compliment. Besides, that dressing room is your (officials) space and a coach needs to respect that. I think the only thing this coach could justify saying after poking his head in the door would have been a sincere apology for his conduct.