The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   You make the FT call - for newbies (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51938-you-make-ft-call-newbies.html)

Mark Padgett Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:04pm

You make the FT call - for newbies

Newbies - although this doesn't come up a lot, when it does, you're expected to make an immediate ruling. What is the ruling when a double violation (violation by both the non-shooting then shooting teams) occurs in the following free throw situations:

A) first shot of a one-and-one

B) a one shot only situation

C) first shot of a two shot situation (same as first or second shot of a three shot situation)

D) last shot in any two or three shot situation

Scratch85 Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:09pm

What's the score and how much time is left? :D

zm1283 Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:10pm

A) AP
B) AP
C) Wipe off the first shot, shoot the second (Edit: I'm thinking it matters which team violated first)
D) AP

By the way, you had two "B's" in there.

Scratch85 Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:13pm

ZM1283: I think he needs to give more information about the double violation to get a correct book answer.

WreckRef Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 583947)
Newbies - although this doesn't come up a lot, when it does, you're expected to make an immediate ruling. What is the ruling when a double violation (violation by both the non-shooting then shooting teams) occurs in the following free throw situations:

A) first shot of a one-and-one

B) a one shot only situation

B) first shot of a two shot situation (same as first or second shot of a three shot situation)

C) last shot in any two or three shot situation

A) Count it if good, re-shoot if not
B) Same as A
C) Same as A
D) Same as A

However, this changes if the violator from offense is the shooter or someone behind the FT line extended behind the arc.

If shooter violates or offense behind FT line extended & behind arc then see zm1283's first answer.

This assumes Mark actually intending to say THEN in his original situation.

zm1283 Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 583951)
ZM1283: I think he needs to give more information about the double violation to get a correct book answer.

I'm thinking the same thing...

zm1283 Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:27pm

Okay lets try again....

A) If the offense violates first, wouldn't you hit the whistle and wipe it off immediately? If defense violates first, then offense, go to the arrow.

B) Same as A

C) If the offense violates first, wipe it off immediately. Same if the defense violates first. Shoot the second FT as normal.

D) AP if defense violates followed by offense. If offense is first, wipe it off. Throw-in for the other team at the spot nearest the violation on the end line.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 27, 2009 06:43pm

I assume he menat "simultaneous" violation, not "double violation". So, both teams violated at teh same time -- and it doesn't matter whether both were on the lane, or one (or both) was off the lane.

If it's one team followed by another, the resulting action might be the same as the simultaneous violation, but it's not a simultaneous violation.

Adam Fri Feb 27, 2009 07:42pm

Assume that if you're calling both violations, you are not ignoring the other. Rule accordingly.

Adam Fri Feb 27, 2009 07:43pm

Quote:

Why?

Scratch85 Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:25pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 583978)
Why?

Because I don't have any idea what a double violation during a FT situation might be. As Bob mentions, he may mean a simultaneous violation. Since most of us know that Padgett may lead us down a wandering path (sometimes for entertainment and sometimes for knowledge) from time to time, I am just waiting for his answer. :)

I take that back, I have an idea what someone might refer to as a double violation but since there are a few variations of that, some may be penalized as a simultaneous violation and therefore, I am not sure how to address a "double violation." Assuming a double violation is as described in the OP, WreckRef has pretty good answer.

Adam Sat Feb 28, 2009 01:30am

If you have WreckRef's scenario, then you don't have a simultaneous violation; you only have one as the 2nd is ignored.

Scratch85 Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 584015)
If you have WreckRef's scenario, then you don't have a simultaneous violation; you only have one as the 2nd is ignored.

WreckRef has a caveat. If . . . see ZM1283.

Adam Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratch85 (Post 584053)
WreckRef has a caveat. If . . . see ZM1283.

True enough.