The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Regaining own air ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51901-regaining-own-air-ball.html)

Amesman Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:57pm

Regaining own air ball

Brother-in-law (who at one time blew the Fox 40) asked me to ask this: Can a shooter be the first to touch his own try if it doesn't hit rim or backboard?

I told him I thought so -- as long as it was a legitimate try attempt in the officials' eyes -- but I wasn't in the mood to jump up and grab my book at the time to cite chapter and verse.

Having checked by now, though, would this come under 4-41-4 (when a try ends ... hitting the floor)? If so, can it be legally regained whether or not it hits the floor, or is there something else at play?

Also, he wondered if the described sitch is OK, had the rule been changed recently? Thanks for any help -- you know how brothers-in-law can be ...

jevaque Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:02am

You are right. Once a player shoots there is no more team control so anyone can catch the ball before it hits the ground.

p.s. You cannot do this in the NBA

Adam Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:21am

I believe this has always been the rule. It hasn't changed recently anyway.

Scratch85 Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesman (Post 583317)
Brother-in-law (who at one time blew the Fox 40) asked me to ask this: Can a shooter be the first to touch his own try if it doesn't hit rim or backboard?

Having checked by now, though, would this come under 4-41-4 (when a try ends ... hitting the floor)? If so, can it be legally regained whether or not it hits the floor, or is there something else at play?

It is part of rules 4-12 (Player and/or Team Control) and 4-44 (Traveling.) Case Book 4.44 Sit(B) is this exact play (hitting the floor is moot) and as Jevaque said, you are right. No violation.

Nevadaref Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:30am

jevaque is also correct that the NBA prohibits this while the NCAA and NFHS allow it.

jevaque Thu Feb 26, 2009 01:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 583325)
jevaque is also correct that the NBA prohibits this while the NCAA and NFHS allow it.

Do you know why this is illegal in the NBA??

Nevadaref Thu Feb 26, 2009 01:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jevaque (Post 583330)
Do you know why this is illegal in the NBA??

Because there is a specific rule that prohibits it. Other than that, I have no insight into their thinking in having such a rule.

grunewar Thu Feb 26, 2009 05:57am

And for those of you who don't have books.....

NFHS Case Book 4.44 SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it strikes the floor. Is this traveling? RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try. (4-12; 4-41)

BillyMac Thu Feb 26, 2009 07:51am

Action figures sold separately.

The shooter can retrieve his or her own airball, if the referee considers it to be a shot attempt. The release ends team control. It is not a violation for that player to start another dribble at that point. When an airborne player keeps control of an attempted shot that is blocked and is unable to release the ball and returns to the floor with it, that player has not traveled; it is a held ball. If, in this situation, the shooter releases the ball, then this is simply a blocked shot and play continues. When an airborne player tries for goal, sees that the try will be blocked, purposely drops the ball, and picks up the ball after it hits the floor, that player has traveled by starting a dribble with the pivot foot off the floor, whether, or not, the defensive player touches the ball in the block attempt.

mbyron Thu Feb 26, 2009 07:58am

This play happened in the Duke game last night. Horrible shot -- had to be 4 feet from the rim, maybe the ball was tipped. Shooter caught the ball and played on.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 583356)
This play happened in the Duke game last night. Horrible shot -- had to be 4 feet from the rim, maybe the ball was tipped. Shooter caught the ball and played on.

Just don't reset the shot clock if the "rebound" is recovered bu the shooting team.

MTD, Sr.

mj Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:11am

Doesn't someone get $5 every time this question gets asked?

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mj (Post 583409)
Doesn't someone get $5 every time this question gets asked?

Yes, the money goes to my favorite charity: The Blind in One Eye and Can't See Out of the Other Eye Basketball Officials Fund. Please make all checks out to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., :D.

MTD, Sr.

Mark Padgett Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:34am

I think the NF rule has always been this. I remember that when I started officiating, it said that the shooter could recover the ball even if it hadn't hit the peach basket.

JugglingReferee Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 583412)
Yes, the money goes to my favorite charity: The Blind in One Eye and Can't See Out of the Other Eye Basketball Officials Fund. Please make all checks out to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., :D.

MTD, Sr.

So then you're blind? :D