Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
In a 15U AAU tourney this weekend, I did something I have never done before. Team A is up by 30 and has been pressing the whole game. There is 2:30 left and the two coaches have been whining at each other a bit during the game. Team B's coach is upset with Team A's coach and says something to Coach A. Coach A retaliates by taking a timeout, reinserting his starters and continuing to press. I then proceeded to whack Coach A with a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. He whines and shuts up when informed that another T means he won't be coaching the rest of the weekend. Both coaches got the point! Anybody else with similar circumstances?
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
In a 15U AAU tourney this weekend, I did something I have never done before. Team A is up by 30 and has been pressing the whole game. There is 2:30 left and the two coaches have been whining at each other a bit during the game. Team B's coach is upset with Team A's coach and says something to Coach A. Coach A retaliates by taking a timeout, reinserting his starters and continuing to press. I then proceeded to whack Coach A with a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. He whines and shuts up when informed that another T means he won't be coaching the rest of the weekend. Both coaches got the point! Anybody else with similar circumstances?
LOL! Very good!
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
PA Coach --

Okay, okay, chayce got his reprimand, why rub it in? Considering that at least 15 different refs have checked in with disapproval of what chayce did, I don't think a generalization such as yours is applicable in the same way that "coaches are idiots" is true.

You know as well as the rest of us that your kind of coaching is virtually unique. I think we should come up with a different word to describe the job you do, so that we can call you, like "saint", or "mensch", and you will know that the word, "coach" doesn't apply to you. I'm tempted to move to PA just so I can work your games.

And speaking of mutant coaches who actually respect refs and treat them appropriately, where is Hawks Coach, and what's he up to? Had a busy AAU season, maybe? With some trophies, maybe? or what?
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
PA Coach --

Okay, okay, chayce got his reprimand, why rub it in?
Because seeing the post titled "Why coaches are idiots." is driving me crazy. Even if MTDNSr wrote it.

Speaking of Senior, here is a funny off-topic story. Here at work we have a co-ed softball team. Last year, one guy played on the team named Hank, and his dad, Hank, came to the games, coached a base, and pinch-hit once in a while. We started calling the younger Hank "Junior", but one night they corrected us. Just the other night, somebody who knows them told us the whole story. Seems the older is named Junior. And when the older had a son, he wanted to pass on the family name. However, he apparently had never heard of III (the 3rd), so he just STARTED OVER AGAIN AND NAMED HIS KID HANK SENIOR.

That's right, the dad is Junior and the kid is Senior.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:50pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Seems the older is named Junior. And when the older had a son, he wanted to pass on the family name. However, he apparently had never heard of III (the 3rd), so he just STARTED OVER AGAIN AND NAMED HIS KID HANK SENIOR.

That's right, the dad is Junior and the kid is Senior. [/B]
Here's a better one for you.MTD Sr. named himself "Senior",and his dad's name is "Hank".
Would I lie to you?
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Seems the older is named Junior. And when the older had a son, he wanted to pass on the family name. However, he apparently had never heard of III (the 3rd), so he just STARTED OVER AGAIN AND NAMED HIS KID HANK SENIOR.

Here's a better one for you.MTD Sr. named himself "Senior",and his dad's name is "Hank".
Would I lie to you? [/B]
"Hey Vinny, yeah, it's me. What's the over-under on these
posts getting yanked? 20 minutes? OK, put me down for
under."

Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

Would I lie to you?
"Hey Vinny, yeah, it's me. What's the over-under on these
posts getting yanked? 20 minutes? OK, put me down for
under."

[/B]
They must not be yanking posts anymore or surely I would've been called to the principal's office by now!
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Wink The Same Name

Speaking of Hank, Jr., Hank, Sr., Hank III, etc. . . . you've heard the one about the Redneck woman who named all of her 10 sons, Willie? A city-slicker once asked her, "What if you only want to call one of them." "Oh", she replied, "Then I just call him by his last name."

Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 05:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking Re: The Same Name

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry
Speaking of Hank, Jr., Hank, Sr., Hank III, etc. . . . you've heard the one about the Redneck woman who named all of her 10 sons, Willie? A city-slicker once asked her, "What if you only want to call one of them." "Oh", she replied, "Then I just call him by his last name."

That's like the guy who had a set of twins. When someone asked him how he tells them apart he replied, "Oh, the boy's taller."
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 05:37pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking while we're on the subject

.....of posts being yanked, and these kind of jokes, here's one of my favorites (apologies to Juulie).

Three guys were in the waiting room at the maternity ward.

The first one said, "I have four boys. If I have one more boy I'll have a basketball team."

The second one said, "I have eight boys. If I have one more boy I'll have a baseball team."

The third one said, "I have seventeen girls. If I have one more girl I'll have a golf course."
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Re: while we're on the subject

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
.....of posts being yanked, and these kind of jokes, here's one of my favorites (apologies to Juulie).

Three guys were in the waiting room at the maternity ward.

The first one said, "I have four boys. If I have one more boy I'll have a basketball team."

The second one said, "I have eight boys. If I have one more boy I'll have a baseball team."

The third one said, "I have seventeen girls. If I have one more girl I'll have a golf course."
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Again, returning to the original topic , there was a story on ESPN.com a few months ago about a referee in a professional soccer match in England. He was working a game in which the score was something like 11-0. Near the end of the game, he intentionally kicked a live ball into the net, scoring a goal for the losing team. His rationale was that he didn't want the losing team to be totally demoralized by being shut out by such a large margin. The league suspended him, but I don't remember if they fired him or not.

Chuck
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

So, it's not demoralizing to have a ref score your only goal?
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Re: while we're on the subject

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
I think that's supposed to be "... eight girls ..."
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 11:06am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Bob,
Maybe you're thinking of a miniature golf course.

Jerry