The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:14am
Official Forum Member

Question Requirement or Courtesy?

In a recent thread someone made a comment that it is the officials duty to inform coaches when they have taken their last available time out. I often do this, but did not realize it was required. Or is it required? Please refer me to where this is indicated.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:18am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartsy View Post
In a recent thread someone made a comment that it is the officials duty to inform coaches when they have taken their last available time out. I often do this, but did not realize it was required. Or is it required? Please refer me to where this is indicated.

Go to Rule 2 (both NFHS and NCAA) and in the Section titled Scorer's Duties, you will find the requirement.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 08:52am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Like MTD, Sr. said:

Rule 2 SECTION 11 SCORER’S DUTIES
The scorer shall:

ART. 6 . . .
Record the time-out information charged to each team (who and
when) and notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is
granted its final allotted charged time-out.

Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 11:06am
Courageous When Prudent

It's also a requirement in NCAA.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 11:41am
Do not give a damn!!

It is more of a courtesy from an official's point of view, because nowadays, the coaches already know their timeout status. This is not something that officials are required alone and if you are not informed than it is not your job to go out of your way to find out.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is more of a courtesy from an official's point of view, because nowadays, the coaches already know their timeout status. This is not something that officials are required alone and if you are not informed than it is not your job to go out of your way to find out.

Peace
I don't understand what you are saying...we are not required? What does the rule book say below?

ART. 6 . . .

when) and notify a team and its coach, through an official, whenever that team is
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:19pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post
I don't understand what you are saying...we are not required? What does the rule book say below?

ART. 6 . . .

He saying if the table doesn't notify him then he's not going to solicit the info.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He saying if the table doesn't notify him then he's not going to solicit the info.
Yep.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:38pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodwillRef View Post

ART. 6 . . .

Don't leave any room for doubt. BE aware of things like the arrow, and how many timeouts are remaining, and even if a coach knows how many timeouts he has left, or if you think he knows how many timeouts, still do the job you're instructed to do: inform the coaches when they have zero timeouts remaining. mick posted the text. It says "shall", and not "more of a courtesy".

Having said that, if you fail to use this mechanic, and an excessive timeouts is granted, it is still completed at the cost of a T.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:41pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yep.

Peace
Rut,
I prefer to let them know in accordance with the guidance.
Like not noticing a team having 6 players on the floor is my fault, not notifying [I think] would also be my fault.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Rut,
I prefer to let them know in accordance with the guidance.
Like not noticing a team having 6 players on the floor is my fault, not notifying [I think] would also be my fault.
I do not think it is my fault if coaches do not know how many timeouts they have. I think that is their responsibility like it is their responsibility to not have 6 on the court. At least the 6 on the court is something we have something to do with because we put the ball in play. Coaches have 8 assistants and one of them is usually keeping track of their timeouts. Actually when I ask coaches what kind of timeout they have, they usually tell me what they are left with. I have never bought that this is essential or the world is going to end if I do not tell a coach he is out or worse, how many timeouts they have left.

Peace
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:08pm
mattk

Timeout!!

I would say the last 5 minutes of the game as an official, you MUST know how many timeout each time has. Coach A calls timeout with 2:45 to go in the game. You report the TO to the scoretable. Then a good book-keeper will raise his/her hands indicating the # of TO's left for each team. 2-2, 2-1, 2-0, 4-2.

Then you tell both coaches, or an assistant, "Hey coach you have 2 timeouts left." Just to make sure everyone is on the same page.
Also make sure you tell your partner/s.

Now most of the newer scoreboards indicate TOL (time outs left) Which makes it really easy.

Along the lines of TO's. At the end of a close game, be aware of when a coach is going to want that Timeout (after a made basket, when they are trapped.) There is nothing worse than having a coach jumping up and down for a TO and the officials miss it. With a 3-person crew you have a T or C near the benches so that helps.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:08pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
I do not think it is my fault if coaches do not know how many timeouts they have.
Figures.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk View Post
Then you tell both coaches, or an assistant, "Hey coach you have 2 timeouts left." Just to make sure everyone is on the same page.
Also make sure you tell your partner/s.
That's a negative GhostRider. I have no problem with you keeping abreast of such information but it is most definitely not our job, responsibiilty, nor good practice to inform teams that they have ## times-out remaining.
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 01:18pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
And, for all you sub-V/JV officials out there just starting out and/or doing Rec Ball, CYO, 5th and 6th graders or whatever, you are going to have to decide how you want to handle this yourself.

We have discussed what the rule book says, some interpretations, and interesting chat. As with other posts, you should take these and other scenarios and discussions and put it in your "kit bag" for those times where - there is no TOL on the scoreboard, the scorekeeper doesn't voluntarily tell you or show you, an F coach or volunteer dad doesn't have 8 assistants, the books disagree, teenagers are novices and doing their best and forget to record one, etc.

Just my $.02 for the rookies, newbies, and junior leagues (like I sometimes officiate).