The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I don't quite get this "R" thing. I was the R last night. I tossed the jump. After that, we were a team that had coverage responsibilities. Just cause the quarter starts with the ball in my hand doesn't make me special.
I see it the same way. Who rally cares right? Well in talking with him, he even said he takes offense when he's not listed as the R. He said supervisors aren't looking for U2's, they're looking for R's. While I agree with that to an extent, somebody has to be U1 and U2 on every game. It takes more talent to be able to fill any slot on a crew than just be good at one - I'm in charge and I need everyone in the gym to know it.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 03:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refguy View Post
He said supervisors aren't looking for U2's, they're looking for R's.
Camp-speak. I love it. Whenever someone uses this line outside of a camp and means it, I have to turn away so I don't get a case of the giggles.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Camp-speak. I love it.
It is that time of year again!

Quote:
Whenever someone uses this line outside of a camp and means it, I have to turn away so I don't get a case of the giggles.
despite the humor involved, what the people I talk to are looking for is someone who has excelent knowledge of the rules, and how to enforce them in the context of the game at hand. They are looking for someone who is a good communicator, a manager, a leader, and can bring out the best in thier partners weather they are the "R" or the "U2" on the game.
I am sure J Rut might have some comments about this specific phrase.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 04:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHBBREF View Post
despite the humor involved, what the people I talk to are looking for is someone who has excelent knowledge of the rules, and how to enforce them in the context of the game at hand. They are looking for someone who is a good communicator, a manager, a leader, and can bring out the best in thier partners weather they are the "R" or the "U2" on the game.
I am sure J Rut might have some comments about this specific phrase.
Whether I'm the R, U1, or U2 on my game, I'm there to run it, not stand around like a wallflower while someone else does. Getting assigned to a position in a HS game doesn't change that.

Tonight I'll be the U in a 2-person boys game, guess I don't have to work.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Whether I'm the R, U1, or U2 on my game, I'm there to run it, not stand around like a wallflower while someone else does. Getting assigned to a position in a HS game doesn't change that.

Tonight I'll be the U in a 2-person boys game, guess I don't have to work.
So you do exactly what the assignors, evaluators are looking for. that is great.
I can count on one hand this year, the number of High school partners I worked with that had that attitude when not the R, and unfortuanately not many more of the college people were stepping up either.
Old Fri Feb 27, 2009, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't quite get this "R" thing. I was the R last night. I tossed the jump. After that, we were a team that had coverage responsibilities. Just cause the quarter starts with the ball in my hand doesn't make me special.
Some people need to be "in charge" Rich.

Rita
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 01:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Some people need to be "in charge" Rich.

Rita
You're right, it's a personality flaw, IMO.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 10:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

Offer valid only at participating sites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
A more idiomatic translation: "practice what you preach."
Now why couldn't you say that in the first place? Instead, I have eleven and three-quarter more months on my $49.99 subscription to an online Latin translator, although it did come in handy when I was responding to eg-italy's Italian posts.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 10:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
You're right, it's a personality flaw, IMO.
And those that are the most aggressive about it usually are lacking in other areas, such as people skills or, well, officiating skills.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 11:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

No purchase necessary.

Quote:
IAABO mechanics now allow the referee to designate the jump ball tosser. Does that mean that the "tosser" must inbound the ball after intermissions? Does that mean that the same official who tossed to start the game must also toss to start an overtime (no comments from Mark Padgett, please)?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 11:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
IAABO mechanics now allow the referee to designate the jump ball tosser. Does that mean that the "tosser" must inbound the ball after intermissions? Does that mean that the same official who tossed to start the game must also toss to start an overtime (no comments from Mark Padgett, please)?
The R inbounds to start the other quarters. I believe that the R could designate the toss again to start the OT. I had 2 OT games this season, first ones in 2 years.
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Rich.....when ya headed to "warmer" clims?

Have pitchers and catchers reported yet? Got your BB/SB tests done? Got a good schedule? Maybe I'll catch some of your games when the weather warms up....and the rain subsides.

Enjoy your between season break!

Peace!

Last edited by imaref; Sat Feb 28, 2009 at 11:19am. Reason: correct spelling
Old Sat Feb 28, 2009, 11:20am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post
Have pitchers and catchers reported yet? Got your BB/SB tests done? Got a good schedule? Maybe will catch some of your games when the weather warms up....and the rain subsides.

Enjoy your between season break!

Peace!
Hey! It's still basketball season until about 5:30PM this afternoon! I'm working a regional final. Then I'm done.