The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 16, 2002, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to chayce
Talking

In a 15U AAU tourney this weekend, I did something I have never done before. Team A is up by 30 and has been pressing the whole game. There is 2:30 left and the two coaches have been whining at each other a bit during the game. Team B's coach is upset with Team A's coach and says something to Coach A. Coach A retaliates by taking a timeout, reinserting his starters and continuing to press. I then proceeded to whack Coach A with a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. He whines and shuts up when informed that another T means he won't be coaching the rest of the weekend. Both coaches got the point! Anybody else with similar circumstances?
Old Sun Jun 16, 2002, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

chayce, I'll go ahead and warn you that you're call is probably not going get a lot of cheers. I don't think any of us like this type of thing. But to call a T on a coach for putting his starters back into a blowout is beyond our realm of responsibility. JMHO
Old Sun Jun 16, 2002, 11:39pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
How do you know that by putting the starters back in that it was an unsportsmanlike conduct? Maybe the coach was trying some new plays and wanted to see how they work with his starters, maybe he was setting up a different press and wanted to see how his players responded. He just could have been experimenting in a game that he knew he was going to win.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:19am
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

The title of your post should be "Last Time for Everything. At first, I thought this was a joke. Let me see if I get this right - you give a coach a technical foul for making legal substitutions?

The big mistake here, however, was allowing the two coaches to talk to each other in a confrontational manner. If you stop that up front, chances are you wouldn't have had the winning coach get pissed off enough to do what he did.

Even though he comes across as a real jerk, I have no idea how you can justify a technical in these circumstances.

Ask yourself this - if he had never taken his starters out, and he had continued to press the entire game, and the point differential continued to grow, would you have just arbitrarily started calling technicals on him?
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 12:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Let the force be with you.

An the AAU Saga continues.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 06:19am
Official Forum Member

Re: Let the force be with you.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge

Peace
That is not a fair statement. This sort of crap also happens at the HS level. Had similar version happen twice this past season in varsity games -- 1 boys & 1 girls. Did not issue any T's, but we nipped this crap in the bud.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 06:32am
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by chayce
In a 15U AAU tourney this weekend, I did something I have never done before. Team A is up by 30 and has been pressing the whole game. There is 2:30 left and the two coaches have been whining at each other a bit during the game. Team B's coach is upset with Team A's coach and says something to Coach A. Coach A retaliates by taking a timeout, reinserting his starters and continuing to press. I then proceeded to whack Coach A with a technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct. He whines and shuts up when informed that another T means he won't be coaching the rest of the weekend. Both coaches got the point! Anybody else with similar circumstances?
chayce,
That is quite unbelievable!
mick
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Only "T" I see here is maybe a double if the coaches were jawing that much at each other. In a summer ball sitch you might want to pull a trigger on something like that to prevent stupidity down the road, but to whack a coach for playing the game?? Call the game, keep control, protect the kids, that is the scope of your job.
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Chayce,

I supposed you could have T'd a coach for unsportsmanlike for saying something to the other coach, but that might even be stretching it.

To T a coach for putting his starters back in is going way past our "elastic powers," IMHO.

Z
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 08:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Let the force be with you.

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
Quote:

Peace
That is not a fair statement. This sort of crap also happens at the HS level. Had similar version happen twice this past season in varsity games -- 1 boys & 1 girls. Did not issue any T's, but we nipped this crap in the bud.
Well I have never seen it or have never heard of an official making that kind of call in a Freshman game, let alone a varsity game in my parts of the officiating world. But then again, that is why all of us live all over the place.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Cause and effect

Quote:
Well I have never seen it or have never heard of an official making that kind of call in a Freshman game, let alone a varsity game in my parts of the officiating world. But then again, that is why all of us live all over the place.
Um, Rut, what exactly is why all of us live all over the place? I doubt it has anything to do with calls we see in a game.

Chuck
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 09:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Cause and effect

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Um, Rut, what exactly is why all of us live all over the place? I doubt it has anything to do with calls we see in a game.

Chuck
I have never seen or heard of any official doing what this one did but on a discussion board. The weirdest stuff happens in AAU or many other "like" leagues or tournaments. And yes, where you live as a lot with what you call and what is acceptable to call. I have lived in two very different areas, and even in the area I currently reside, there are very many differences based on where you officiate.

Peace
Old Mon Jun 17, 2002, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Re: Cause and effect

Quote:
where you live as a lot with what you call and what is acceptable to call. I have lived in two very different areas, and even in the area I currently reside, there are very many differences based on where you officiate.
Agreed, but that's not what you originally said. Originally, you basically said, "making different calls is why we all live in different places". What you should've said was "we make different calls because we all live in different places. I was just being a little silly and picking on your "cause and effect" wording. Sorry

Chuck
Old Tue Jun 18, 2002, 05:32am
Official Forum Member

Actually, in the 2 games I was referring to, we did not "T" the coaches. As soon as they began jawing at each other, we warned both of them to knock off the crap. I can't see how you could possibly whack a coach for putting his starters back in.