The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

3-on-3

Girls freshmen, last game of the season...attitude (3 unpsorting T's), effort, and execution were uniformly awful . Visitors dressed 5 players, home had 8. Visitors led most of the way until one of their players fouled out with about 3 minutes left. Allowed home to come back and tie the game to take us into overtime. In the first 2 minutes of overtime, 1 more visitor and 3 home players (to go along with 2 in regulation) fouled out. So yes, we played the last 2 minutes or so of overtime 3-on-3 (first time I've ever had or even seen that happen). 7 of the 13 players who suited up fouled out...those 13 players committed a total of 57 fouls, and those were only the ones we called!

On top of everything else my partner was HORRIBLE! Not only was he fat, lazy, late (arrived with 5:42 to play in the 1st quarter...I had spoken with him earlier in the day and he assured me he would be early), unwilling to listen to anything, and have very poor knowledge and application of both the rules and mechanics, he called all over the court from all over the court. At one point late in the 2nd quarter I just stayed at the lead opposite end while the ball headed the other way...not particularly proud of myself for that move, but it definitely got his attention (as well as the lady's keeping the book [she's also an official] who later told me she was cracking up pretty good when she realized what I was doing). He worked hard for the next couple minutes before reverting to form which sadly carried over to the entire ensuing boys JV game. Later that night he became only the third partner I've ever blocked in 9 years of officiating. Just an all-around brutal evening...terrible way to end the regular season
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog89 View Post
At one point late in the 2nd quarter I just stayed at the lead opposite end while the ball headed the other way...not particularly proud of myself for that move
Not cool; nothing like sinking to or below the level of the guy you have the problem with.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 12:19pm
#thereferee99

wait, what?

Quote:
Not only was he fat, lazy, late, unwilling to listen to anything, and have very poor knowledge and application of both the rules and mechanics, he called all over the court from all over the court.
You say that like its a bad thing!
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Originally Posted by Corndog89
At one point late in the 2nd quarter I just stayed at the lead opposite end while the ball headed the other way...not particularly proud of myself for that move

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Not cool; nothing like sinking to or below the level of the guy you have the problem with.
No, you're absolutely right, though my intent was never to call the game like he was...I was trying to make a point. He was a newer official, 2nd or 3rd year, and he didn't want to listen. I was frustrated and took a less-than-professional approach for one trip down the court, but it worked...at least for a couple minutes.
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 02:23pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Visitors dressed 5 players
Did the rest play naked?
Old Fri Feb 20, 2009, 03:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pennsylvania Coach View Post
Good call PA Coach.
One guy didn't know any better, and one guy did know better.
Who had the most grievous fault?