The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Interesting Comment

In a blow out game, we are shooting free throws. The administering official calls a violation on our team, I guess because no really waving off the made free throw, no really verbal about who violated. I only figured it out because we went to play defense. I ask the new lead as he is coming up the court what happened, he looks at me and says lane violation. Ok, so I say who, what did he do. Keep in mind, i have 2nd and 3rd string in now, so I think this can be a good coaching time to let them know what they did was wrong.

The official replies with rolling eyes, with a duh!?!? kind of ring to it, He crossed the line and just shook his head as he ran by. In my head i am thinking no crap, but I just kind of smiled and went on. A kid on my bench tells me, Hey coach, he sure told you.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 06:43am
Official Forum Member

I only recently started tracking the number of a FT violator. Since, the official isn't required to report a player # to the table, I never used to even look for it.
My point is that a couple of seasons ago, I could not have told you which one of your players just violated as we were heading back down the floor. I didn't look or try to remember. I just observed the violation and whistled it.

I changed because I learned that most coaches will ask and have a desire to know. Whether they genuinely wish to instruct their player or are simply using this as an excuse to question the official's call and gauge the certainty of his decision, I can't really say.

However, thinking back, I could see myself rolling my eyes at you if you asked me that question three years ago, not out of disrespect, but because my attitude at the time was "I don't know. I don't care. And what difference does it make? One of your players violated. It got called. Let's move on."

Now I would quickly tell you, "15, coach, stepped in early," as I ran past.

People skills and management has been the #1 area that I have striven to improve in the past few years.

I set out to make this improvement in my communication skills with the coaches by trying to put myself in their positions, and think what would I ask or want to know on that play if I were the coach.

It certainly hasn't hurt my game any, and I hope that it has allowed me to be perceived as more approachable and a better official.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I only recently started tracking the number of a FT violator. Since, the official isn't required to report a player # to the table, I never used to even look for it.
My point is that a couple of seasons ago, I could not have told you which one of your players just violated as we were heading back down the floor. I didn't look or try to remember. I just observed the violation and whistled it.

I changed because I learned that most coaches will ask and have a desire to know. Whether they genuinely wish to instruct their player or are simply using this as an excuse to question the official's call and gauge the certainty of his decision, I can't really say.

However, thinking back, I could see myself rolling my eyes at you if you asked me that question three years ago, not out of disrespect, but because my attitude at the time was "I don't know. I don't care. And what difference does it make? One of your players violated. It got called. Let's move on."

Now I would quickly tell you, "15, coach, stepped in early," as I ran past.

People skills and management has been the #1 area that I have striven to improve in the past few years.

I set out to make this improvement in my communication skills with the coaches by trying to put myself in their positions, and think what would I ask or want to know on that play if I were the coach.

It certainly hasn't hurt my game any, and I hope that it has allowed me to be perceived as more approachable and a better official.
I like to keep track of the number of the offender as well. In fact, I will typically announce "lane violation on 35 White, came into the lane early."

Even if you can't do that, if you can at least let the coach know what position the player was in will usually do the trick. If the call is on the offense, it is as simple as the far side of the lane, near side of the lane or the shooter. Even if the call is on the defense, there are only two positions on each side of the lane. The coach usually knows who was in a particular lane position.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 07:56am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I like to keep track of the number of the offender as well. In fact, I will typically announce "lane violation on 35 White, came into the lane early."
Exactly. As Nevada said it's something I too started concentrating on this yr. Used it last night at 8th grade boys game. TWEET - "Lane violation W15, shoot again." Heads off any questions from coaches or comments from those pesky, opinionated fans (not that I care about them really).
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 08:44am
Ref Ump Welsch

Just like grunewar said. I'll announce it as soon as I hit the whistle, so the player knows he/she violated, and the coach will know as well.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 01:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

I would whistle a violation on this assertion by I'm too much of a coward.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

call it just the same

If you announce it as W 15 stepped in before contact it does head off the questions, but even if you don't IMHO it is worth it to be able to say to the coach it was # 15 or at the least the player in the low block was in before the touch.
thisis one place where a complete yet concise answer can help you eleiminate any issues with the coach.
Old Thu Feb 19, 2009, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Same thing applies to a 3-second violation. After being embarrassed a couple of times when asked by the coach (both scenarios), I started marking numbers too.
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:19am
Esteemed Forum Member

This product is meant for educational purposes only.

Hey guys, and gals, let's be careful out there. I have no problem with noting the number of a free throw, or three second, violator, and conveying this information to the coach, if asked politely, but I do not recommend announcing it after the whistle. Sometimes the table crew will get into a good habit of marking the number of the player charged with a foul, every single time you report a foul. Unfortunately, especially with some lower level games, we may get a scorekeeper who mistakenly marks a foul for every player number announced by an official. Last night, in a high school varsity game, I had an adult scorekeeper who, at halftime, asked me if the excessive arm swinging violation that I called in the second period was a foul, and I didn't announce the player's number. Be careful with using this mechanic. It's not in the book, and probably for a good reason.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Feb 21, 2009, 10:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
...I had an adult scorekeeper who, at halftime, asked me if the excessive arm swinging violation that I called in the second period was a foul, and I didn't announce the player's number. Be careful with using this mechanic. It's not in the book, and probably for a good reason.
I believe there are some rarely seen calls that require a little more communication. In your case after the violation I would step towards the table and state there is no foul, just a violation to ensure it doesn't accidentally get annotated as a foul