The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 15, 2009, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting article on Knight/Valentine incident in 1998

Valentine was very disappointed that his partners (Hightower and O'neill) didn't help him out and they almost came to blows at halftime.

Knight should be ashamed for his antics towards officials (which continues to this day, via the broadcast booth). I'm also disappointed that the Big Ten suspended Valentine for giving Knight what was a well deserved ejection.

http://www.referee.com/sampleArticle...knightext.html

Last edited by ILRef80; Sun Feb 15, 2009 at 08:29pm. Reason: to add link to article
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Since I'm here today at 26YearGap's behest, I'll add a brief story. (I apologize in advance if it sounds like I'm name-dropping.) When I was at an officials' meeting before the start of this season, a bunch of us were hanging out in the hotel restaurant. Several people were standing around a table near mine. Who's sitting at the table but Ted Valentine!

So when the crowd thins a bit, I go over and introduce myself. I said, "I was at Ronnie Nunn's camp a few years ago. You helped me a lot, and I just wanted to say thanks."

(I posted about the camp here: http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?p=96959 )

I shook his hand and one of the other guys at the table said, "Well, what do you know? Ted. . . You actually helped somebody???"

It was a really fun moment.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILRef80 View Post
Valentine was very disappointed that his partners (Hightower and O'neill) didn't help him out and they almost came to blows at halftime.

Knight should be ashamed for his antics towards officials (which continues to this day, via the broadcast booth). I'm also disappointed that the Big Ten suspended Valentine for giving Knight what was a well deserved ejection.

http://www.referee.com/sampleArticle...knightext.html
the article was published 7 years ago.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Actually 8 years ago. Does that make it irrelevant?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 09:41am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Quote:
My link says that the article was published in the magazine in November 1999, which is 9 years, 3 months ago - which is even longer! Time flies!

It's not irrelevant. Often it's worthwhile to look back at history to see how it unfolded.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 09:53am
Lighten up, Francis.

However old the article is, I enjoyed it simply because I hadn't ever heard Valentine himself tell his version of the story.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Enjoyed the story...thanks for sharing.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 10:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
However old the article is, I enjoyed it simply because I hadn't ever heard Valentine himself tell his version of the story.
Every time I see Hightower and O'Neill, I'm reminded of this incident, which I saw as it happened on my DirecTV package while I was living in New Orleans (1998). I couldn't believe how buddy-buddy Hightower was with Knight considering his partner was getting it so good from Knight at the time. If I were Valentine, I would've been trying to figure out how to have the knife removed from my back.

It's hard to believe it was 11 years ago now, though.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:20am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Every time I see Hightower and O'Neill, I'm reminded of this incident, which I saw as it happened on my DirecTV package while I was living in New Orleans (1998). I couldn't believe how buddy-buddy Hightower was with Knight considering his partner was getting it so good from Knight at the time. If I were Valentine, I would've been trying to figure out how to have the knife removed from my back.

It's hard to believe it was 11 years ago now, though.
I've read before that TV and EH weren't the best of friends. Is that true and was some of it because EH was buddy with Knight?
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was about to bring up a Gettysburg Address analogy........
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I remember back in 1980. I was in the locker room changing in a racquetball club, located in Albuquerque. It was owned by Norm Ellenberger, a buddy of Knight's. Knight was there playing racquetball with Ellenberger. I was about 29 then and found myself sitting almost next to the legend himself(in his birthday suit). I was awestruck and i guess i did stare. But he went off on me to mind my own business and leave him alone.

I thought at the time....JERK!!!!
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
I remember back in 1980. I was in the locker room changing in a racquetball club, located in Albuquerque. It was owned by Norm Ellenberger, a buddy of Knight's. Knight was there playing racquetball with Ellenberger. I was about 29 then and found myself sitting almost next to the legend himself(in his birthday suit). I was awestruck and i guess i did stare. But he went off on me to mind my own business and leave him alone.

I thought at the time....JERK!!!!
Dude was naked and thought you were staring. I'd have done the same thing in his shoes.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

That's kind of funny someone posted this. I read it as I was covering the Indiana-Illinois game and TV was one of the officials.

Funny...Crean said in his postgame press conference he thought the officiating was excellent. Guess that goes to show how times have changed here at IU.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks,great article, I never read this.
Old Mon Feb 16, 2009, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Dude was naked and thought you were staring. I'd have done the same thing in his shoes.

I was looking at his face!!! the point is he was and is a jerk!!