The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA-M Rule on armbands (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51571-ncaa-m-rule-armbands.html)

shishstripes Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:36am

NCAA-M Rule on armbands

Watching the WV vs Pitt game last night and notice Pitt's big guy wearing thin, gold arm bands above the biceps on each arm. Is there a major difference with NCAA-M and NFHS regarding this rule?

Thought it was interesting listening to the announcers having a civil argument on the same player being called for an offensive foul as he pivoted and struck the defender with a forearm knocking the defender down. Color: "Doesn't the defender have to give him space." Play-by-play (I believe Billas) "No, the defender is entitled to his spot on the floor." Pitt player ended up being benched for remainder of the game for getting a T on the same play.

zm1283 Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 577961)
Watching the WV vs Pitt game last night and notice Pitt's big guy wearing thin, gold arm bands above the biceps on each arm. Is there a major difference with NCAA-M and NFHS regarding this rule?

Thought it was interesting listening to the announcers having a civil argument on the same player being called for an offensive foul as he pivoted and struck the defender with a forearm knocking the defender down. Color: "Doesn't the defender have to give him space." Play-by-play (I believe Billas) "No, the defender is entitled to his spot on the floor." Pitt player ended up being benched for remainder of the game for getting a T on the same play.

Bilas is the color guy. More often than not the PBP guys are clueless, while some of the color guys have actually played and have somewhat of a clue. I know announcers get a bad rap on here, but there are a few who know what they're talking about. People don't like Bilas, but I don't mind him.

Nevadaref Wed Feb 11, 2009 07:38am

I notice the bicep bands in the Pitt game too. They seem to be legal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 577961)

There are a couple of differences. You can decide whether they are major or minor. Basically, the NFHS permits a width of up to 4 inches, while the NCAA limit is 2, and the NCAA does not have the restriction that the NFHS does about wearing the item below the elbow, nor does there seem to be a limit to how many can be worn, while the NFHS says only one on each wrist.

NCAA rules:
3-5-15 Wristbands no wider than 2 inches made of single-color cloth similar to the dominant color of the game jersey, white, black or (women) beige and unadorned (except for one manufacturer’s logo or one institutional logo/mascot that shall meet the size restrictions of Rule 3-6.1.a) are legal.

3-5-16. Wristbands and headbands shall be uniform to each other for the entire team.

NFHS rules:
3-5-3a. Headbands and wristbands must be white, black, beige or a single solid color similar to the torso of the jersey and must be the same color for each item and all participants. See 3-6 for logo requirements.

3-5-3c. If worn, only one wristband is permitted on each wrist, each must be worn on the arm below the elbow, each must be moisture-absorbing, nonabrasive and unadorned, and each must be a maximum of 4 inches.

Adam Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:32am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 577963)
Bilas is the color guy. More often than not the PBP guys are clueless, while some of the color guys have actually played and have somewhat of a clue. I know announcers get a bad rap on here, but there are a few who know what they're talking about. People don't like Bilas, but I don't mind him.

I've liked Bilas, although occasionally he will degenerate and follow the "blame-the-ref" crowd.