The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

3 part question 3 of 3

Same game visiting team winning by two, with 90 seconds to go. Running a pass and weave stall to kill the clock. The home team is trying to foul but can't catch up with the ball. A1 has the ball and B1 give a slight and I mean slight tug on the back of his jersey in an attempts to foul and stop the clock. I pass on the call because it had not effect on the play. A1 takes two dribbles and passes the ball to A2 who fumbles it OB. Visiting coach goes crazy starts screaming at me because I did not call the slight hold. He screams "where the foul call you should have called the foul."

My question is do you call the slight grab to stop the clock and do you call it intentional or do you pass on the call since it had no effect on the play?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Probably, but I was not there. I have no idea visually what you mean by slight.

BTW, you could have asked all these questions in the same thread. You might have added some context to the entire game. Just a thought on my part.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Have to be there, but if you passed on the call you passed on the call. Kid should have caught the ball and the coach wouldn't have been whining about the clock still running now would he?

A point to be made here though is late in the game in these situations, if you get the little foul early, you may avoid a bigger foul later.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

But since this is an attempt to stop the clock and not even close to play on the ball do you go with the intentional foul?
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Call it the same as you did in the first quarter. did you let the "slight" grab go in the first quarter? But be aware if they are trying to foul, as mentioned earlier, if you pass on the slight foul, a harder foul is coming.
Old Mon Feb 09, 2009, 10:06pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown View Post
Same game visiting team winning by two, with 90 seconds to go. Running a pass and weave stall to kill the clock. The home team is trying to foul but can't catch up with the ball. A1 has the ball and B1 give a slight and I mean slight tug on the back of his jersey in an attempts to foul and stop the clock. I pass on the call because it had not effect on the play. A1 takes two dribbles and passes the ball to A2 who fumbles it OB. Visiting coach goes crazy starts screaming at me because I did not call the slight hold. He screams "where the foul call you should have called the foul."

My question is do you call the slight grab to stop the clock and do you call it intentional or do you pass on the call since it had no effect on the play?
HTBT, but it sounds like if it's that slight, you could definitely have passed on it.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 12:55am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Tell V coach if he wants to accept a slight foul like that, he shouldn't have his kids running around avoiding the foul.
Old Tue Feb 10, 2009, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

2006-07 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

• Contact – Contact that is not considered a foul early in the game should not be considered a foul late in the game simply because a team "wants" to foul. Conversely, contact that is deemed intentional late in the game should likewise be called intentional early in the game.

2006-07 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

Intentional Fouls. The committee continues to be concerned about how games end. While there has been some improvement in the application of the rule, there is still need for further understanding and enforcement. An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul that neutralizes an opponent's obvious advantageous position. Contact away from the ball or when not making a legitimate attempt to play the ball or player, specifically designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, shall be intentional. Intentional fouls may or may not be premeditated and are not based solely on the severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.

Fouling is an accepted coaching strategy late in the game. There is a right way and a wrong way to foul. Coaches must instruct their players in the proper technique for strategic fouling. "Going for the ball" is a common phrase heard, but intentional fouls should still be called on players who go for the ball if it is not done properly.

Additionally, in throw-in situations, fouling a player that is not involved in the play in any way (setting a screen, attempting to receive the in-bound pass, etc. ) must be deemed intentional. Far too often, officials do not call fouls as intentional when the act clearly meets the criteria.