The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Traveling Question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51458-traveling-question.html)

gslefeb Fri Feb 06, 2009 09:57am

Traveling Question

With both feet off the ground:

1.Player catches ball in the air lands on right foot, jumps off that foot lands left. No Travel, picture a layup.

2.Player catches ball in the air lands on right foot, jumps off that foot and lands on both feet – no pivot foot, this is a legal play.

My question is with both feet on the ground:

A player is pivoting on the right foot, jumps off that foot and lands with the left foot. Travel.

A player is pivoting on the right foot, jumps off that foot and lands with both feet. Travel.

Am I correct?

JugglingReferee Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gslefeb (Post 576288)
With both feet off the ground:

1.Player catches ball in the air lands on right foot, jumps off that foot lands left. No Travel, picture a layup.

2.Player catches ball in the air lands on right foot, jumps off that foot and lands on both feet – no pivot foot, this is a legal play.

My question is with both feet on the ground:

A: A player is pivoting on the right foot, jumps off that foot and lands with the left foot. Travel.

B: A player is pivoting on the right foot, jumps off that foot and lands with both feet. Travel.

Am I correct?

A: The travel rule says that the ball must be released on the dribble before the the pivot foot comes off the ground. On any other action, as in a shot, pass, or requesting a timeout, the pivot foot is permitted to be lifted before the action, but it must not return to the floor before the offensive act. Since the right foot is the pivot foot, and it is lifted before a dribble, that player can no longer legally dribble. Doing so would be a travel. They are permitted to shoot or pass or request a timeout, however.

B: Shorlt.y

Adam Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:05am

I believe it is a travel for a player to jump off of either foot and return to the floor (except the jump stop) even if the pivot is not returned.

dbking Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JugglingReferee (Post 576312)
A: The travel rule says that the ball must be released on the dribble before the the pivot foot comes off the ground. On any other action, as in a shot, pass, or requesting a timeout, the pivot foot is permitted to be lifted before the action, but it must not return to the floor before the offensive act. Since the right foot is the pivot foot, and it is lifted before a dribble, that player can no longer legally dribble. Doing so would be a travel. They are permitted to shoot or pass or request a timeout, however.

B: Shorlt.y

I completely and totally agree with Jugglingref on A.

I am not sure what SHORLT. means but I assume that the y is yes for a travel on B. The pivot foot returned to the ground and this is a travel no matter what you try to do with the ball, dribble, shot, pass or call time out.

I believe that the travel violation is the hardest call in basketball. The rule is complex and judgement must be made in a fraction of a second. The only way that you can do this well is to practice watching game tape and in person, id the pivot foot and understand all the complexities of the rule.

We did this as part of a class at a ref camp. We were 20+ rows up in stands with a D1 official for a complete game. We would watch the game and D1 official would ask on individual plays what was pivot foot, what could they do etc. This helped me immensely in calling travel. I probably watched ten plus games during that camp and continue to do that at any game I attend or watch.

Women's college officials are probably the best at this. IMHO, men's officials miss 5+ travels a game. I see alot of HS officials miss travels and call non travels. We must practice to get this right.

Adam Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:16pm

I disagree, if the player jumps from one foot to the other, it's a travel.

zm1283 Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:32pm

What about this one: Player is dribbling down the court, he picks up his dribble as he's jumping off of his right foot. He jump stops and both feet land at the same time. Can he pivot or not?

Adam Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 576359)
What about this one: Player is dribbling down the court, he picks up his dribble as he's jumping off of his right foot. He jump stops and both feet land at the same time. Can he pivot or not?

Did he pick up the dribble before or after he jumped off his right foot?

zm1283 Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 576360)

Before.

bas2456 Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:52pm

Quote:

I was just coming on here to post a similar question. Had this happen to me. Guy couldn't stop his momentum and took one step with his left foot. I didn't call traveling because I wasn't 100% sure...only 95%

Adam Fri Feb 06, 2009 01:00pm

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 576360)

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 576364)
Before.

No, he cannot pivot. He can lift one or both feet (another jump) off the floor, but nothing can return to the floor before he shoots, passes, or requests a timeout.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 06, 2009 01:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 576356)
I disagree, if the player jumps from one foot to the other, it's a travel.

ART. 3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is
released on a pass or try for goal.
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball
is released on a pass or try for goal.

That said, I think 3b is frequently ignored unless it's egregious.

Adam Fri Feb 06, 2009 01:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 576382)
ART. 3 . . . After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the ball is
released on a pass or try for goal.
b. If the player jumps, neither foot may be returned to the floor before the ball
is released on a pass or try for goal.

That said, I think 3b is frequently ignored unless it's egregious.

Fair enough, but we have to judge whether it's a step or a jump. If it's a step, it's legal; if it's a jump, it's not.

What was that word again?