The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

"Pick and Roll"

Throughout this season I've gone multiple directions on my philosophy on how to call the "pick and roll". And I'm still not consistently calling anything on these plays. Here is the situation:

A1 is dribbling the ball (being guarded by B1) towards the right half of the court. A2 (being guarded by B2) sets a legal screen at the elbow on B1. B2 hedges out on A1 as A2 seals off B1 and rolls to the basket. There is always some contact with A2 and B1 but where do you draw the line? Both players have the right to move, but is A2 responsible for B1 being allowed to get around?

Thanks

-Josh
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
I look for B1 displacing the screen and A2 setting a legal screen. On the roll, does A2 do anything illegal to gain an advantage like use his/her hands/arms to seal the defender off by holding the defender off etc.

Often times A2 won't come set on their screen and just roll, sometimes running into B1, not a legal screen. Or as they roll they extend their arm, holding the defender off, illegal.
Old Wed Feb 04, 2009, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

If B1 is making an effort to go around the screen and A2 rolls into him/her during this effort its a foul. However what I see the most is that B1 simply stops at the screen and A2 begins to roll and make his move before B1 decides that he needs to get around. A2 got there first so its his right to the space and B1 is late and usually in a bad position to play defense.