The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Hoops fan arrested by ref (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/51400-hoops-fan-arrested-ref.html)

kwv001 Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:40pm

Hoops fan arrested by ref

Check out this story, on one of our local tv stations website. How many of us would like to be able to this?!?!?

http://www.fox19.com/global/story.asp?s=9779064

Juulie Downs Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:43pm

LOL!! I like that the dad wails, "That's not fair!" Too funny... Like it's entrapment??

grunewar Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:46pm

Juulie - he was undercover!

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 03, 2009 01:14pm

I routinely arrest spectators since I'm an F.B.S. agent (Federal Bureau of Sarcasm). This goes back all the way to the 60s when I was a State Tripper.

Welpe Tue Feb 03, 2009 01:20pm

I can imagine how that phone call went, "Control this is Adam 12, I have one in custody and a technical foul on white. Code 4."

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 03, 2009 03:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Welpe (Post 575365)
I can imagine how that phone call went, "Control this is Adam 12, I have one in custody and a technical foul on white. Code 4."

Excellent. :) Except technical fouls are a code 3.

kwv001 Tue Feb 03, 2009 03:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 575424)
Excellent. :) Except technical fouls are a code 3.

Doesn't it depend on whether it's a Class A or Class B techincal? :)

Adam Tue Feb 03, 2009 03:39pm

I hate to rain on the parade, but does anyone from IN here know what the rest of the story is? I just wonder what the reason for the arrest was, unless yelling at an official is a criminal offense in Indiana.

Sorry, I work with a bunch of cops, and this story got us to talking.

stosh Tue Feb 03, 2009 03:44pm

I was working a JV Girls once and a fight broke out in the stands on the side of the gym opposite the benches. Because of the commotion, play stopped so I told all of the players to return to thier benches. I figured I'd stay with the home bench and my partner could stay with the visitors... except I couldn't find my partner!

Yup, he was up in the stands breaking the fight up!

He was a first year guy and a sherriff's officer and the "police officer" side of him overruled the "referee" side. Every time we work together since then we cover "referee" duties in our pregame which includes staying out of the stands during fights.

Turs out the fight was between two kids from the home team and had nothing to with the game.

OHBBREF Tue Feb 03, 2009 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 575435)
I hate to rain on the parade, but does anyone from IN here know what the rest of the story is? I just wonder what the reason for the arrest was, unless yelling at an official is a criminal offense in Indiana.

Sorry, I work with a bunch of cops, and this story got us to talking.

In some states there is verbal assault or verbal abuse of an officer.

Adam Tue Feb 03, 2009 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 575450)
In some states there is verbal assault or verbal abuse of an officer.

Does that apply when the officer is off duty and "unmarked?"

Mark Padgett Tue Feb 03, 2009 04:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 575451)

Hey - his badge number was on his whistle. It was "40". :cool:

OHBBREF Tue Feb 03, 2009 04:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 575451)

not sure but they can always charge you with anything they want - making it stick is something else.

this guy should just be glad the officer wasn't packing heat - because he deserved to get riddled.

I wonder if his throw down would have chaffed his ankle when he ran?

Ref Ump Welsch Wed Feb 04, 2009 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 575462)
this guy should just be glad the officer wasn't packing heat - because he deserved to get riddled.

Good one! But maybe now that his name's out there, coaches may live in fear of this officer/referee. Pat Knight would have been in cuffs after that tirade the other night.

jcarter Wed Feb 04, 2009 08:56am

I work with people that know the individual that got arrested and I believe I have worked with this official once.

Anyway the funny thing, if there can be a funny thing, This guy doesnt even have kids that go to that school anymore, they have all graduated and he still throws a fit....