The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
Our association covered this in some detail, and strongly encouraged everyone to enforce it. .
"Strongly encouraged" or "required?"
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Thanks for sharing, Rich. I had the same issue tonight. Girls in Black uniforms wearing grey/silver pre-wrap.
That pre-wrap is (I think) listed as "black" on the package, but looks grey when stretched.

It's allowed here (with any color jersey).
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 11:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That pre-wrap is (I think) listed as "black" on the package, but looks grey when stretched.

Yes, I had the same thing with the visiting team in the same game.

They said it was black in the package, but grey/silver when stretched. I allowed it and it wasn't a problem (as I anticipated it might be).

It's a terribly thought out rule. The beige looks terrible and home teams essentially have one less choice in color. The red prewrap looked fine, matching the red trim on the home uniforms, but again, I'm not a fashion consultant.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Someone else mentioned that on here a few weeks ago. It might have been mick. I had forgotten that point and it didn't occur to me on the floor.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

I wish the rule would just say it has to be the same color for everyone on the team and it has to match any wristbands. That makes plenty of sense. I enforce the rule now as it is, but it's overkill.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 05:56pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:

I had the same thing in a girls reserve or JV game, back in the first week or so of the season. Thought it was grey, but the coach said it was black, and pulled a roll out of the bag, and demonstrated to me. About a week later, had it in a varsity game, and one of my partners was going to have the whole team change, and I told him don't bother because it's black stretched out. He looked at me like I was looney, so I took a piece of the prewrap and showed him.
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
Well I had an eye rolling experience with my partner last night, she was the referee so all I could do is roll my eyes.

Home team has orange pre-wrap in the hair, I make mention of it to her, as we meet with captains she brings up the color, and say since white is not a color and that because they have orange trim he will let them use the orange head bands as it....

I roll my eyes...
We did work well on the game...

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 06:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Medical Alert Bracelet ???

NFHS 3-5-7: Jewelry is prohibited. Religious and medical-alert medals are not
considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical-alert medal must be taped and may be visible.

Home team is wearing white jerseys. During the third period, I notice that a home team player is wearing a red wristband. During a dead ball, clock stopped situation, I tell him that he can't play with the red wristband on. He tells me it's a special wristband to cover his medical alert bracelet, and sure enough, he shows me his bracelet, and he shows me the red wristband with a white medical alert logo on it. Using intent and purpose, I decided that if it was taped, as stated by rule, the tape could have been any color, and since this was obviously a special medical alert bracelet wristband, I let him continue to play. Has anyone else seen these special red medical alert bracelet wristbands, which, by the way, I think are a good idea and should be allowed by the NFHS? Anybody have a problem with me allowing the young man to continue to play with this illegal equipment?

Man, I hate being the Fashion Police. It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 31, 2009, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to agr8zebra
BillyMac,

That is a tough SIT, Common sense says you did the right thing, but PURE rule being a Fashion 5-0 is tough

After all that is said and done, more is said than done
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical-alert medal must be taped and may be visible.

Home team is wearing white jerseys. During the third period, I notice that a home team player is wearing a red wristband. During a dead ball, clock stopped situation, I tell him that he can't play with the red wristband on. He tells me it's a special wristband to cover his medical alert bracelet, and sure enough, he shows me his bracelet, and he shows me the red wristband with a white medical alert logo on it. Using intent and purpose, I decided that if it was taped, as stated by rule, the tape could have been any color, and since this was obviously a special medical alert bracelet wristband, I let him continue to play. Has anyone else seen these special red medical alert bracelet wristbands, which, by the way, I think are a good idea and should be allowed by the NFHS? Anybody have a problem with me allowing the young man to continue to play with this illegal equipment?

Man, I hate being the Fashion Police. It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it.
I would consider the entire thing his medical alert bracelet.

It's okay.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 07:23am
Suppref

Don't forget added colors, NFHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Last night I showed up for a varsity girls game. I noticed during the JV game that both teams had illegal colors of pre-wrap. I sighed. Personally, I'd rather ignore it, but I just can't.

2008-09 High School Basketball Rules Changes
Any item that goes around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall
meet the rule requirements regarding color, maximum size, logo restrictions and team
uniformity. Black and beige have also been added to the colors a team is permitted to wear.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

BillyMac,
I think you "done good", here.
Per 3-5-2c and d.
c. Knee and ankle braces are permitted but all exposed hinges must be
covered. Most over-sleeves recommended by manufacturers are
acceptable.
These braces may be padded or unpadded.
d. Must be worn for medical reasons.

Per 3-5-7.
ART. 7 . . . Jewelry is prohibited. Religious and medical-alert medals are not
considered jewelry
. A religious medal must be taped and worn under the uniform. A medical-alert medal must be taped and may be visible.

I would use 3-5-2c indicating that a manufacturers "over-sleeve" (in this case a red sweatband) recommended by the manufacturer (it had the medical alert logo on it) are acceptable. Further, since a medical alert bracelet must be taped, I would say that the red sweatband is now making it visible.

Having the rule behind me makes me feel better about allowing it. The common sense side of me would have allowed it regardless if I could support it by rule. After all, red is a fairly well recognized medical color.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suppref View Post
2008-09 High School Basketball Rules Changes
Any item that goes around the entire head (elastic strips/bands, pre-wrap, headbands, etc.) shall
meet the rule requirements regarding color, maximum size, logo restrictions and team
uniformity. Black and beige have also been added to the colors a team is permitted to wear.
Who's forgetting? A home team is not allowed to wear red.
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Who's forgetting? A home team is not allowed to wear red.
RichMSN,
For God's sake, it is part of a Medical Bracelet. I am not forgetting anything. You would prefer to have a piece of medal barely covered by by tape (we aren't allowed to do that with ANY other jewelry) as opposed to being completely covered by a sweatband that is red to serve as a reminder to YOU that there is a medical bracelet under THAT sweatband. Come on, really.....
Old Sun Feb 01, 2009, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

The problem is when you enforce it and then you watch other games where its not enforced. I'm watching the championship game of a big tournament right now and the green jersey team is wearing yellow headbands.

Now I know why I get the rolling of the eyes when I enforce it.