The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to kgeorge0263
Getting game tapes from Colleges & High Schools

Being the technology era, I know that game tape breakdown is probably the most effective way to evaluate your game, calls, positioning, mechanics, and game management.

How do you go about getting game tapes on a consistent basis? I had a college game earlier in the year and brought a postage paid padded envelope with a DVD-R in it and gave it to a game manager. I told him I'd appreciate a copy of the game, but never got a response or the DVD back. I'm not sure if they couldn't burn it or why it never was sent to me. This was a game I would've liked to see as it was a good game...

Is it worthwhile to contact all prior schools via email first to see if they'd be willing to send me an old game tape? Or would this be a waste of time?

-KG
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't hurt to contact the school a couple of days early and asked them if they could help you out.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

I get a copy from coaches / AD's all the time.

I contact the admin person for the AD the day of the game if they are present or the day after if not. The admin person is really good at getting the leg work done to get you the tape. If the school is close, I will schedule a time to come get it from that person.

I primarily use email but will phone and get email address from admin person. I am successful in 9/10 times in getting copy. Some schools still use vcr tape, some dvd. The quality of the tape is normally fair and gives you a different perspective on many calls.

I watch the tape several times. Here is my process.

1st watch, chart the fouls and violations. I mark which official called, whether in primary or not and whether it is a quality call or not.

2nd watch, watch the game for being in position and try to focus on whether official was in position to see the foul or violation. Watch the mechanics of fouls and violations as well. You will only see about 50% of them.

3rd watch, watch the game from a flow and consistency. You know where the calls came from and if you were in position. Now see if they fit the game.

4th watch, watch only your primary and your skills. Grade yourself on position, watching primary matchups.

For a high school game, I will spend about 3 hours watching a tape of a game. I will only watch games that are competitive in basketball.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 10:24am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbking View Post
I get a copy from coaches / AD's all the time.
Do you provide the blank VHS tape or the blank DVD?
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

I have been very successful getting copies of the games as well. When I go to a varsity contest, I always have a padded self-addressed stamped envelope with a blank DVD. I just ask the game administrator if I could get a copy of the game. If I haven't been to that school before, they are typically a little shocked but always agree. This year, I have gotten ~20 (of ~23) back. Around here it takes a couple of weeks to usually get them back but I think it's tremendously helpful.

-Josh
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 10:59am
Official Forum Member

Normally I ask the admin if they need a blank and which form but rarely do they want.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeorge0263 View Post
Being the technology era, I know that game tape breakdown is probably the most effective way to evaluate your game, calls, positioning, mechanics, and game management.

How do you go about getting game tapes on a consistent basis? I had a college game earlier in the year and brought a postage paid padded envelope with a DVD-R in it and gave it to a game manager. I told him I'd appreciate a copy of the game, but never got a response or the DVD back. I'm not sure if they couldn't burn it or why it never was sent to me. This was a game I would've liked to see as it was a good game...

Is it worthwhile to contact all prior schools via email first to see if they'd be willing to send me an old game tape? Or would this be a waste of time?

-KG
I have gotten several DVD's from coaches on the College Level in my conferences. I just email them after the game and they send me the DVD free of charge. I also let them know I am willing to pay for postage & media as well. As far as high school, I ask the coaches that I know are videoing the game.
Old Fri Jan 30, 2009, 12:48pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I have a nice collection of cheerleader tapes, especially the ones from my "massage therapist" Bambi.