The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

Question Tech and possession at quarter break?

I'm a first year official and have been visiting a lot of JV games to watch 2 man crews (I DESPERATELY want to get better, and there is MUCH room for me to improve). Some of them are SUPERB and others... well... not so much. In a game with the latter I think I witnessed a mistake that has been severely bugging me, so I thought I'd post the question.

Team A gets the tip to begin the 1st quarter. The coach for Team B is called for a technical between the 1st and 2nd quarters. Team A shoots to begin the 2nd quarter but after the shots the officials give the ball to Team B. I'm thinking that the possession arrow should remain with Team B, but Team A should have been awarded the ball pursuant to the technical.

Thoughts?

Grog
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking keep thinking how you're thinking.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jevaque
you are correct the AP arrow should stay the same and team A should get the ball at the beginning of the quarter.
Old Tue Jan 27, 2009, 06:28pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
I'm thinking keep thinking how you're thinking.
OW OW OW OW, my head hurts! But, you're right!
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 07:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jevaque View Post
you are correct the AP arrow should stay the same and team A should get the ball at the beginning of the quarter.
The quarter begins when the ball becomes live for the first of the technical foul FTs. Team A gets a throw-in at the division line opposite the table following that. Although there is still 8:00 on the clock, that throw-in is NOT the beginning of the quarter. How much time is on the clock is not the determining factor for when a quarter begins or ends.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Here's something I witnessed the other night and our organization has had quite a bit of discussion about. End of 3rd quarter. a1 drives to basket, releases ball, gets fouled by B1 while still in the air, horn sounds, ball goes in. Official makes the call and counts the basket. Before A1 shoots his free throw (with no one lined up), B1 decides to tell the official what he thought about the call. Whack! A1 shoots his free throw and then A2 shoots both free throws for the "T". Arrow belongs to Team B. Here is where the discussion started. There was a group of officials who believed that Team A was entitled to the ball to start the 4th due to the technical. The other camp, which I agree with, felt that the T was part of the third quarter and when that quarter's activity ended with the ball becoming dead after the second free throw for the T, so did Team A's opportunity to get the ball due to the T. Therefore, the 4th quarter starts with Team B getting the throw in since no part of a penalty can carry over. The camp I was in relied on 5-6-2(3). I felt I'd bring it here to see where the "experts" could weigh in.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2009, 05:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

You are right. Penalties do not carry over from one quarter.
The quarter does not end until all related activities are complete, this includes A1's free throw
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
The quarter does not end until all related activities are complete, this includes A1's free throw
Has the NFHS defined "related activity?"

5-6-4 deals specifically with a T after a quarter has ended. 5-6-3 only uses the term "related activity."

What tells me that the T FTs should be shot before the next quarter starts?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:38am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
Has the NFHS defined "related activity?"

5-6-4 deals specifically with a T after a quarter has ended. 5-6-3 only uses the term "related activity."

What tells me that the T FTs should be shot before the next quarter starts?
The part that says no penalties shall be carried over to the next quarter. The same thing that says if B1 commits a common foul (before the bonus) as the quarter expires, A does not get a throwin for the foul to start the next quarter.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ok, so in the situation stated by Walter, A1's free throw ends the 3rd quarter. The 4th quarter would start with Team A's free throws for the technical and Team A inbounding the ball even though Team B has the arrow. Is that correct?
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

The NFHS "Rules by Topic" book states: "If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws."

Also, in Walter's scenario, the head coach would be issued an indirect T as all players are bench personnell during intermissions.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:51am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Ok, so in the situation stated by Walter, A1's free throw ends the 3rd quarter. The 4th quarter would start with Team A's free throws for the technical and Team A inbounding the ball even though Team B has the arrow. Is that correct?
No, because the technical foul was called before the free throws had been attempted; that means the technical foul was called in the third quarter and it's penalties cannot be carried over to the next.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:53am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS 20 View Post
The NFHS "Rules by Topic" book states: "If a technical foul occurs after the ball has become dead to end a quarter, the next quarter is started by administering the free throws."

Also, in Walter's scenario, the head coach would be issued an indirect T as all players are bench personnell during intermissions.
This is incorrect. The ball will not become dead to end the third quarter (in walter's scenario) until the final free throw is completed.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=Rufus;573594]Ok, so in the situation stated by Walter, A1's free throw ends the 3rd quarter. The 4th quarter would start with Team A's free throws for the technical and Team A

No (unless I'm misreading the play).

The play was: Foul, Horn, T, FTs for the foul.

The quarter doesn't end until the FTs are shot. So, the T was during the third quarter. The FTs for the T will be shot as part of the third quarter and there will be no throw-in as part of the T.

The fourht quarter will start "as usual" -- with an AP throw-in determined by the arrow.
Old Thu Jan 29, 2009, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is incorrect. The ball will not become dead to end the third quarter (in walter's scenario) until the final free throw is completed.
You're right, my bad on that.