The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Waa-hoo!!!

Gotta admit, I'm glad tonight's game wasn't my first of this season, or I would just be done forever. It was just plain rough. But, I did a great job of handling everything and felt pretty good at the end, so it was a positive.

freshmen girls. At least 25 held balls. i doubt that the clock ever ran more than 20 seconds without a whistle. Probably 35 or 40 fouls, I didn't stick aruond to ask the table, but 4 players fouled out. Interestingly, no PC or TC fouls. 2 T's and an intentional. And it went into OT.

First two minutes, right in front of home coach, V1 gathers dribble, H1 hacks across the arm, I call a shooting foul. H coach starts chipping: "That's not a shooting foul! She wasn't shooting!" "Coach, she was trying." "That's not a shooting foul! The ball has to be out of her hand!!" "???????" Whoa, I'm thinking, this guy is clueless!! And I was right. Finally whacked him for ABS in the middle of the second quarter. And then he wanted to use a time-out to talk about the T. Sheez, roll-eyes.

At half-time he approached me quietly and asked why the technical. "Can't I just ask a question?" "Yes, you can quietly at a stoppage of play". "????" " You question was loud, rude, incited the crowd, and it was as the play was progressing." "So I'm supposed to wait till a dead ball?" "Yes, coach, that's right." "But then you'll be over there." "If you indicate politely that you have a question, I can come and answer it, but you can't just step onto the court and yell at me. It's rude and disrespectful." He rolled his eyes, but I ignored that. He was up off the bench a little during play, but not much, and my partner agreed that he'd keep an eye on him and get the next one. Funny thing is, once he started coaching and quit yelling at us, his girls started playing better, and took the lead. Coincidence? I don't think so!

Intentional was on home player who wasn't very good at protecting the ball. She finally tucked the ball under one arm, reached out and just shoved the main opponent right in the chest. Coach saw it clearly. He just groaned, and didn't say a word to me. The darn home player that shot missed them both, and it's HER fault we went into OT.

One home player had a pretty good dribble, and could shoot a mean lay-up, but V figured out how to stop her -- soccer wall right in the key. So then she'd try to split the defense, and trip, and fans wanted a foul. Sorry. As she got more frustrated, she threw herself more and more against the defense, but we couldn't call PC because she just didn't gain any advantage, and often lost the ball.

But, I had a great partner, the table was excellent, and I never lost my temper. It was really kinda fun!

Oh, and one of the team captains had the first name, "Omega." It took all my self-control to keep from asking if she had a twin named "Alpha". Heck, she could have played on that team with Jesus/God in the King James tournament!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Another sitch in this game. H1 starts to shoot FT's, stops and says to me "Just a minute" and throws the ball back to me! Then she pulled a band-aid off a finger, waved it around a minute as if not sure what to do with it, tried to put it into a pocket, realized she didn't have a pocket, and then threw it to a teammate behind the 3 point line. Teammate gagged, then started to take the bandaid to the sideline. Shooter said, "No, just hold onto it." (I'm thinking, WHA.....???" Teammate stood, uncertainly. I said, "Throw it away!" Shooter said, "No!" I said, "THROW IT AWAY!!" Teammate headed for the sideline, bench players all recoiled, "EEK! Not me! I don't want it! " Finally, I got the game underway again. Sheez.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 12:04am
In Time Out

ew cooties
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Juulie - good job. Messy game, but you kept control, and took care of business when needed. That's where the experience comes in that separates "varsity" officials from the others. Too many times younger refs come in and think, "Hey, I can call that foul, I caught that travel, so I'm ready for the big time!". But in reality what they don't have is the experience to handle the non-basketball related stuff, such as handling coaches that aren't behaving. Sounds like you're becoming more comfortable in handling those situations.

I'm assuming Omega was the youngest in the family? Otherwise, she wouldn't be "Omega" if the parents weren't done having kids, right?

(Used with permission.)
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 10:21am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy View Post
I'm assuming Omega was the youngest in the family? Otherwise, she wouldn't be "Omega" if the parents weren't done having kids, right?
One more came 8 years after Omega. They named him "Oops."
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 10:31am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
One more came 8 years after Omega. They named him "Oops."
Mom probably called him "Oops" and Dad didn't get a clue.
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 10:32am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juulie Downs View Post
Intentional was on home player who wasn't very good at protecting the ball. She finally tucked the ball under one arm, reached out and just shoved the main opponent right in the chest. Coach saw it clearly. He just groaned, and didn't say a word to me. The darn home player that shot missed them both, and it's HER fault we went into OT.
*doing the Dilbert dance*
Old Wed Jan 21, 2009, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry to hear about that game J. What a contrast to the 8th girls game I had Monday. Rec league. Both teams come out in a zone and the offensive strategy appeared to be: keep throwing passes from guard to guard until either 1) we throw the ball out of bounds, or 2) one of the defenders falls down so we can come inside the 3 pt line and attempt a shot.

League plays 14-minute halves, and we played the first one in less than 20 actual minutes (each team did call a timeout - to talk about dribble penetration!). Score at the half was 6 - 4; total of three fouls called.

Thought about grabbing a newspaper to read during the action but didn't want to call too much attention to the pace of the game.