The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:03pm
Eschew obfuscation.

What would you do?

So, I am supposed to have a varsity game tonight. However, the only confirmation I have received about this game is an email that was sent to me a little more than two weeks ago. There was no mention as to what time the game was, just the date. I have never worked at this school before, so I'm not sure how they work.

I have tried to email the coach and AD to find out what time the game was, and neither one replied to me. I have also called the school twice today, and no one answered. I'm pretty sure they still have school today as the weather around here is good.

What else should I do in order to find out when the game is, or if there is even a game at all? I would not like to make a two hour round trip for nothing! I would also like to know when the game is so I can be there at a comfortable time to pregame!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:07pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Can you phone your partner?

Can you phone the school board?

Is the schedule online somewhere - such as the league website?
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:10pm
Eschew obfuscation.

I don't know who my partner is ... I just picked up this game as the AD emailed me looking for a replacement.

The online schedule that I could find didn't have any games for tonight. That makes me wonder as well.

I'll try and find the school board's number...
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

The away team

Call the away school..they need to schedule busing
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

You could go to this page, http://www.highschoolsports.net/defaultindex.cfm and check their schedule
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:16pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Sadly, I've already checked that out, and here's what it came up with:

http://www.highschoolsports.net/port...d=IL6226211864
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:17pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness View Post
Call the away school..they need to schedule busing
Haha, that's the problem. I don't see a game anywhere, so I don't know who the away team is! This is getting frustrating...
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:24pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
So, I am supposed to have a varsity game tonight. However, the only confirmation I have received about this game is an email that was sent to me a little more than two weeks ago. There was no mention as to what time the game was, just the date. I have never worked at this school before, so I'm not sure how they work.

I have tried to email the coach and AD to find out what time the game was, and neither one replied to me. I have also called the school twice today, and no one answered. I'm pretty sure they still have school today as the weather around here is good.

What else should I do in order to find out when the game is, or if there is even a game at all? I would not like to make a two hour round trip for nothing! I would also like to know when the game is so I can be there at a comfortable time to pregame!
Be sure you keep all emails, both received and sent, in case they claim you didn't contact them. I've had that before, and trust me, proof is your best friend!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

You sound like you have done all you can -- between phone calls and emails. If its a varsity game then it starts at 7 or 730, and you could just go to the school around 6 to be safe if the school is nearby. Otherwise don't sweat it, what else are you supposed to do.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

What a strange situation. No one is answering at the school? I'd keep trying to call or hope someone answers the email. If you don't hear anything back, maybe go out to the school assuming a normal (around here that would be a 6:00 or 6:15 start for JV, 7:30 or 7:45 for V) time. If you get to the school and there is no game, you would think the AD would still pay you for wasting your night since you tried to contact him. Like the previous poster mentioned, save everything!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

You could try calling the school's main number, explain your situation to the secretary and how you cannot get in touch with the coach or AD. Don't hang up until you get a satisfactory answer from them.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

"Hail Mary......."
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 01:53pm
Eschew obfuscation.

Well, I got an answer finally. I called two different schools that were in the conference until I found an AD who had the home coach's cell #. I then was able to contact him directly, and I found that I still have a game! Thank goodness that my night wasn't wasted.
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 02:02pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
Well, I got an answer finally. I called two different schools that were in the conference until I found an AD who had the home coach's cell #. I then was able to contact him directly, and I found that I still have a game! Thank goodness that my night wasn't wasted.
Nice job using resources to find the answer!
Old Tue Jan 20, 2009, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

the title of this post "what would you do?" reminded me of a great patriotic song from the "Team America: World Police" movie.

What a great song.