The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef

BTW, Dick Bavetta worked the game last night. I guess he forgot the Nets were supposed to win.
And he was right there, correctly ruling Van Horn's shot from the corner a two-pointer. Had that been a three, Kidd's late shot would've tied it. I wasn't saying I thought there was anything to it, just interesting reading. I think Sports Guy is always interesting to read.
Old Mon Jun 10, 2002, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Quote:

BTW, Dick Bavetta worked the game last night. I guess he forgot the Nets were supposed to win.
And he was right there, correctly ruling Van Horn's shot from the corner a two-pointer. Had that been a three, Kidd's late shot would've tied it. I wasn't saying I thought there was anything to it, just interesting reading. I think Sports Guy is always interesting to read.
Perhaps but there's no credibility.

More fouls get called on one team than the other all the time. So what?

Calls sometime appear to favor the home team.
Big deal!

The crowd chants "Bull$hit!" 4 times during a game!
Imagine that!

Heat players complain about the officials!
What's new?

The Knicks manage to win 1 game against the Spurs.
Some conspiracy!

Sorry but sounds like a guy with nothing else to write about to me.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Why? Why even post this crap?
Because Bill Simmons, aka The Sports Guy, is the best sports columnist on the internet, by far, without question. In Bill's words, I will not argue about this. Also b/c he reflects a fan's perspective perfectly. Of course, he has no credibility in discussing officiating, but his observations are entertaining and thought-provoking. I can't tell you how often I sit at my computer at lunch and laugh right out loud while reading his columns. His colums from New Orleans during Super Bowl week were unbelievably funny. I'm so glad to know that there are others out there who appreciate him as much as I do. Plus, he's from Boston!!

Chuck
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Of course, he has no credibility in discussing officiating,...
Enough said.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Now, if as you say, the officials were biased and conspired to force a game 7, why would the NBA fine them? How stupid is that? "We want you to call against the Kings." Then, they fine the officials for being incompetent. That is so stupid. That's why your argument doesn't make sense. On one hand you say they were biased which implies a conspiracy. On the other, you imply that they were just incompetent. Well, which is it? You can't have it both ways. It's either one, the other or neither. But it isn't both.

Just let it go! [/B]
You are too smart for me. Since you don't seem to get it I will connect the dots. A large segment of the population (present company excluded) think game six was called poorly and most of the calls favored the lakers. If the league released the information of what fines, if any, were assessed against the officials, then if there were none, it would indeed show the NBA condoned it. If there were fines it would help dispel the conspiracy theory. Last time I checked the officials had a contract with the NBA and the NBA could make this part of the contract if they wanted to.

Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

I have some ocean front real estate right outside of Tulsa I will let go cheap...

A large percentage of the population believes in UFO's without any proof of existance. A large percentage of the population also believes that we never landed on the moon. If I had a dollar for every unsubstantiated conspiracy theory that exists, I would be a wealthy man.

I think everyone would agree that the NBA's product needs work. I think everyone would agree that the game six officiating could be better. However, to take those two items and imply a conspiracy is without both base and merit.

If the NBA did release it, then the same people would say,"They are just paying them under the table so it wouldn't be public." The funny thing about conspiracy nuts is that you can never prove them wrong. It is the age-old problem of having to prove an absolute negative.

I agree with earlier posts, the big "conspiracy" is that the NBA has gotten major free advertising out of nuts like Nader who have oral diarehea (sp?) and spew on national talk shows.
Strange women, lying in ponds, distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. If I went around claiming I was an emperor just because some moistened bink lobbed a scimitar at me, they would put me away.
-Monty Python-
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by djh3
[/B]
You are too smart for me. Since you don't seem to get it I will connect the dots. A large segment of the population (present company excluded) think game six was called poorly and most of the calls favored the lakers. If the league released the information of what fines, if any, were assessed against the officials, then if there were none, it would indeed show the NBA condoned it. If there were fines it would help dispel the conspiracy theory. Last time I checked the officials had a contract with the NBA and the NBA could make this part of the contract if they wanted to.

[/B][/QUOTE]OK,we admit it! There is a conspiracy!The whole world is out to get the Sacramento Kings!We did it last year,too!Only YOU can save them from it happening next year,also!
Continue the CRUSADE!!

But why don't you continue it in a fan forum,where it belongs?

You wouldn't happen to be a Bosox fan too,would ya?If not,look into it.That might keep you busy for the next 100 years!

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jun 11th, 2002 at 09:26 AM]
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 09:25am
Esteemed Participant

Since you don't seem to get it ...

I think it is plain to see that SOMEONE here just doesn't get it, but I don't think it's Tony...
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

You wouldn't happen to be a Bosox fan too,would ya?If not,look into it.That might keep you busy for the next 100 years!
LOL! Happy & giddy from Feb to August, then depressed
and angry from Sept to January!
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 09:32am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Quote:
Of course, he has no credibility in discussing officiating,...
Enough said.

"Plus, he's from Boston!!"
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
In the immortal words of Dr. Peter Venkman (Bill Murray): "I don't have to take this abuse from you. I got hundreds of people waiting to abuse me!"
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If the league released the information of what fines, if any, were assessed against the officials, then if there were none, it would indeed show the NBA condoned it. If there were fines it would help dispel the conspiracy theory.
Good God, there's no way to win with you!

Let's say the NBA truthfully (because we have no reason to believe anything else) disclosed the fines (if any) assessed to the officials.

Scenario 1:
The NBA announces that it has fined each of the referees $1,000 for their performance in Game 6. Fans everywhere scream and kvitch and moan that the game was intentionally thrown and the refs are being punished for it.

Scenario 2:
The NBA announces that no fines were assessed. Nuts like you imply that this means the "throwing" of the game was endorsed all the way up the NBA ladder to David Stern.

The way I understand (perhaps some of our WNBA/semi-pro guys could back me up) any fine assessed would be for improper rule interpretation or incorrect mechanics - not for a poor judgement call or "throwing" the game.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

LOL! Happy & giddy from Feb to August, then depressed
and angry from Sept to January!
I think the REAL conspiracy here is that you're all Yankees fans!
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You are too smart for me.
That's the most intelligent thing you've wrote since you got here.

Announcing fines would serve absolutely no purpose. Mr. Dexter explains a few of the reasons why, above. BTW, when officials are fined or suspended, it's for misapplying rules, not for making judgment calls that fans don't agree with. And no rules were misapplied in Game 6. If you want to look at a misapplication of rules, there's a post on here about the Orlando-Charlotte series and a rule misapplication.
Old Tue Jun 11, 2002, 12:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
In the immortal words of Dr. Peter Venkman (Bill Murray): "I don't have to take this abuse from you. I got hundreds of people waiting to abuse me!"
Have you considered giving up self-abuse too,Chuckie?

A simple "yes" or "no" answer will suffice.