Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

Illinois guys have any more info?

http://www.daily-journal.com/archive....php?id=433758

Please note this:

"In all, St. Anne received seven technical fouls in the game:

* The Cardinals were given a technical foul for general misconduct."

How do you make that call?

Also, note that the HC was ejected because of a total of 3: 1 on the bench and 2 on the AC.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 07:58am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

General misconduct could be referring to accumulated bullpucky, and although some straw broke the camel's back, it wouldn't surprise me if a later comment mentioned 'general misconduct'.
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 09:51am
Do not give a damn!!

I only heard of the story on another website. I do not know who worked the game or all the circumstances surrounding the Ts. I have just heard speculation as to what happen in the game.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

40-4 free throw discrepancy is a LOT in what sounds like a relatively close game....i know i know different styles of play, etc, dictate the number of fouls called each way, but that is still quite a discrepancy...4 free throws for an entire game? anybody had a game with fewer than that for a team?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:10am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow whistle View Post
40-4 free throw discrepancy is a LOT in what sounds like a relatively close game....i know i know different styles of play, etc, dictate the number of fouls called each way, but that is still quite a discrepancy...4 free throws for an entire game? anybody had a game with fewer than that for a team?
I do not keep track of that sort of thing from my personal games, but when you settle for outside shots, you are not going to get many FT attempts. I believe St. Anne was something like 3-20 at the 3 point line. And Dwight was 5-7 from 3 point range. If that is completely true, that tells the story as far as I am concerned.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Is it considered "normal" that the offiicials names would be printed in the newspaper in a situation like this with a high school game?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not keep track of that sort of thing from my personal games, but when you settle for outside shots, you are not going to get many FT attempts. I believe St. Anne was something like 3-20 at the 3 point line. And Dwight was 5-7 from 3 point range. If that is completely true, that tells the story as far as I am concerned.

Peace
I agree with you it doesn't bother me, sometimes you look up and fouls are 8-0 in the second quarter (shrug)....but if you do the math and assume that this team shot 45% on non-3-pt attempts, that means they attempted somwhere around 45 non-3-pt fg's and only got fouled on 2 of them (or up to four if you assume you scored the goal for each ft)...again not saying impossible, but sounds unusual...
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:40am
Do not give a damn!!

Normal? I do not know about normal.

This looks like a revised or updated article. The original article I read there were no names.

I do know one of the officials and I know a few people that work that conference. I am sure I could find out.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:51am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I agree with you it doesn't bother me, sometimes you look up and fouls are 8-0 in the second quarter (shrug)....but if you do the math and assume that this team shot 45% on non-3-pt attempts, that means they attempted somwhere around 45 non-3-pt fg's and only got fouled on 2 of them (or up to four if you assume you scored the goal for each ft)...again not saying impossible, but sounds unusual...
We do not know the turnover stats. We do not know other type of shots that were taken. All I am pointing out that one team clearly liked the 3 point shot and the other did not. And the one that did not like the 3 point shot that well, did not shoot very many of them. So that tells me that team must be looking for more outside shots than the other team.

Also St. Anne won the Class 1A State Title last year. They play a very aggressive, man to man where they guard you the entire court or guard very aggressively in the half court. From what I was told (through completely hearsay) was that St. Anne played their usual style and Dwight sat in a zone all night.

Also remember 7 Ts results in 14 FT attempts (if they are not coupled with double Ts).

Also the IHSA took action against the coach for his behavior and that tells me something.

Peace
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:53am
Administrator

Gee whiz, once I went to the website I kept searching for articles written by Lois Lane and pictures of Superman taken by Jimmy, then I realized the newspaper was the Daily Journal and not the Daily Planet.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is it considered "normal" that the offiicials names would be printed in the newspaper in a situation like this with a high school game?
Since this isn't privileged or off-the-record information, it basically comes down to the enterprise of the reporter. If he's good, he'll dig for any detail he can get, especially in this case if the officials are the part of the storm, or perceived to be part of it. One key here is the abnormal circumstances, thus the non-normal naming of names.

In today's digital age, not uncommon for rolling updates to be added to Web stories so that just says they're either a) pretty mindful as journalists or b) feel especially vested in the story (which seems to be the case here, for one reason or another).

Overall, a journalist would say this story was pretty well done. It tried to cover as many bases as possible, didn't light any torches for anyone to start mob action and gave all sides an opportunity to comment. (Except the crew or assignor, apparently -- not that they would or should have taken anyone up on such an offer.)
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Since this isn't privileged or off-the-record information, it basically comes down to the enterprise of the reporter. If he's good, he'll dig for any detail he can get, especially in this case if the officials are the part of the storm, or perceived to be part of it. One key here is the abnormal circumstances, thus the non-normal naming of names.

In today's digital age, not uncommon for rolling updates to be added to Web stories so that just says they're either a) pretty mindful as journalists or b) feel especially vested in the story (which seems to be the case here, for one reason or another).

Overall, a journalist would say this story was pretty well done. It tried to cover as many bases as possible, didn't light any torches for anyone to start mob action and gave all sides an opportunity to comment. (Except the crew or assignor, apparently -- not that they would or should have taken anyone up on such an offer.)

Yeah even the assignor gets in on the fun - I hope he didn't go to bed before he got the call that night and first read about it when he saw his name in the morning paper! Just seems that for $55 they didn't sign up for having their names splashed across the sports section...but nobody forces us to take the floor I suppose...
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

if you read the original game story, you can easily see how the FT and fouls disparity occurred:

http://www.daily-journal.com/archive....php?id=433563
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpea View Post
if you read the original game story, you can easily see how the FT and fouls disparity occurred:

http://www.daily-journal.com/archive....php?id=433563
Looks like a subscriber only story - can you past the text?
Old Thu Jan 15, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Looks like a subscriber only story - can you past the text?
Not sure why...I only clicked on a link of the original story posted above.....here it is anyway:

By Steve Soucie
[email protected]
815-937-3392

ST. ANNE — Composure is a tough thing to measure.

But there was no question which team had composure in spades and which team had none during Tuesday’s nonconfererence matchup between the Dwight Township High School and St. Anne Community High School boys’ basketball teams.

St. Anne was whistled for 33 fouls, including seven technicals, as it came completely unglued in the second half in a 64-51 loss to the considerably more poised Trojans.

The Cardinals had won seven games in a row behind a combination of 3-point sharpshooting and tenacious interior play.

But neither were present on Tuesday as the Cardinals missed their first 12 3-point attempts and also struggled to contain Dwight’s sophomore center, Jens Kennedy.

As a result, Dwight (9-3) was able to stay in a zone defense and packed the lane with defenders. And while the Trojans weren’t necessarily proficient on offense, they still held a 20-16 lead at the break.
In an attempt to energize itself, St. Anne tried to amp up its defensive intensity, but the aggressive defensive style didn’t sit well with the officials.

As a result, St. Anne (7-4) quickly found itself with a truckload of fouls and Dwight had a boatload of free-throw attempts. Tempers then flared with St. Anne’s bench getting whistled for one bench technical foul, then after a questionable foul call on the Cardinals, assistant coach Todd Sirois was whistled for a pair of technicals and was ejected from the game.

Through it all, Dwight continued to chug along. Helped by the splendid free-throw shooting of Cal Vigna, who hit 21 of his 24 attempts, Dwight continued to extend its lead.

In the midst of the technical flurry, Dwight extended a four-point lead to 15 in seemingly a matter of seconds.

“It certainly wasn’t how we planned it all,” Dwight coach Mark Porter said. “I’ll say this: When we got the big lead over the course of the game, I was proud of our kids. Our kids got together on the floor and kept their composure. With the young team that we have, that was nice to see. We gathered ourselves and we were able to knock down some free throws. We’re just glad we were able to come in here and get a win over a quality team like St. Anne.”

But that wasn’t the end of the flared tempers. Later, a St. Anne player was whistled for a technical foul for slamming the basketball down in frustration after what he believed was a bad foul call. Then St. Anne's Brandon Brewer was tossed from the game after receiving a double technical after his actions were deemed too physical on a loose-ball foul.

All in all, Dwight shot 40 free throws while St. Anne had just four free-throw attempts.

“This was a lesson in composure for us tonight and we failed it,” St. Anne coach Rick Schoon said. “We had a lot of things not go our way tonight. We did not come out with the effort that we had to, either. We are an aggressive team defensively and we did a poor job of adjusting to the way the game was called. Hopefully, it will be a situation that we will learn from and correct.”

Despite the frequent whistles, St. Anne did manage to rally a bit. Back-to-back baskets by Javonta Davis (21 points) allowed St. Anne to close within 57-47.

But wisely, Dwight placed the ball largely in the hands of Vigna, who drained nine of his 10 free throws in the fourth quarter. He finished with a game-high 24 points despite scoring just one field goal.