The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 12:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation I don't think I've ever had one like this before

Yesterday afternoon game, A1 in frontcourt by about a foot and is being guarded. He sends a bounce pass to A2 who is almost parallel to him also in the front court, however the pass (with spin on it) bounces in the backcourt then up into A2's hands. It took me a split second to realize this is a violation even though both players were in the frontcourt, since A2 touched it after the ball had been in the backcourt.

And yeah, I had to explain it to the coach.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 01:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wait Until Nevadaref Wakes Up ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
A1 in frontcourt by about a foot and is being guarded. He sends a bounce pass to A2 who is almost parallel to him also in the front court, however the pass bounces in the backcourt then up into A2's hands. It took me a split second to realize this is a violation even though both players were in the frontcourt, since A2 touched it after the ball had been in the backcourt.
Good call. I could have sworn that there was a caseplay on this exact situation, but I can't find it. I'm sure that Nevaderef will be along soon and dig up an annual interpretation from fifteen years ago that exactly matches your play.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Jan 11, 2009 at 01:30pm.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good call. I could have sworn that there was a caseplay on this exact situation, but I can't find it. I'm sure that Nevaderef will be along soon and dig up an annual interpretation from fifteen years ago that exactly matches your play.
BillyMac,
I am not sure that we have that precise case, but I think that we do have the exact opposite case where both PLAYERS are in in the backcourt but the ball lands in the front court and returns to the player in the back court.

Yet another case of a back court violation that was not intended (in my opinion) when the division line was put in.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 01:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
BillyMac,
I am not sure that we have that precise case, but I think that we do have the exact opposite case where both PLAYERS are in in the backcourt but the ball lands in the front court and returns to the player in the back court.

Yet another case of a back court violation that was not intended (in my opinion) when the division line was put in.
I agree this may not have been originally intended, but I'm not sure it goes against their intent. In either case, the current rules makers clearly intend for this to be a violation.

I do think Mark's OP is a case where the intent of the original rule writers is met. Once you're in the FC, you are not allowed to use the BC voluntarily. That's what Padgett's players did.
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 01:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Yellow Lantern Passed The Ball To Batzarro ...

Quote:
I think that we do have the exact opposite case where both PLAYERS are in in the backcourt but the ball lands in the front court and returns to the player in the back court.
Is the play in the Bizarro World casebook?

Bizarro World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 11, 2009, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
BillyMac,
Correct. And some esteemed interpreter has opined (iirc) that the play in this thread is NOT a violation. Most of us disagree with the interpreter, and nothing has been published on it.

Quote:
I think it was intended -- once the offense gets the ball in the FC, they need to keep the ball in the FC. It's not much different than an OOB call (it' slightly different bevcause the BC is part of the playing court, so we need to give the defense an opportunity to get to the ball -- which we don't do on an OOB call).
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 09:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Yesterday afternoon game, A1 in frontcourt by about a foot and is being guarded. He sends a bounce pass to A2 who is almost parallel to him also in the front court, however the pass (with spin on it) bounces in the backcourt then up into A2's hands. It took me a split second to realize this is a violation even though both players were in the frontcourt, since A2 touched it after the ball had been in the backcourt.

And yeah, I had to explain it to the coach.
I actually used this situation to illustrate the O&B rule with a fellow official this past weekend! Too funny!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I do think Mark's OP is a case where the intent of the original rule writers is met. Once you're in the FC, you are not allowed to use the BC voluntarily. That's what Padgett's players did.
Padgett's players are young enough that they do very little voluntarily or intentionally!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Correct. And some esteemed interpreter has opined (iirc) that the play in this thread is NOT a violation. Most of us disagree with the interpreter, and nothing has been published on it.
backcourt
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 06:15pm
Eschew obfuscation.

I got a quick question as to where the ball gets put inbounds after a BC violation is called. Is it always at mid-court, or will the ball be administered to the nearest spot OOB when the violation was called? For example, if there is a BC violation but the offensive player doesn't touch the ball until it is almost directly underneath the defensive team's basket: does the ball get administered OOB under the basket, or does it still go to the division line?

I know I should know this, but I just wanted clarification...

Btw, I just found this site this morning, and I haven't stopped reading all day long! This place is great!
Old Mon Jan 12, 2009, 07:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
I got a quick question as to where the ball gets put inbounds after a BC violation is called. Is it always at mid-court, or will the ball be administered to the nearest spot OOB when the violation was called? For example, if there is a BC violation but the offensive player doesn't touch the ball until it is almost directly underneath the defensive team's basket: does the ball get administered OOB under the basket, or does it still go to the division line?

Btw, I just found this site this morning, and I haven't stopped reading all day long! This place is great!
NFHS and NCAA = nearest OOB spot to the violation.

NBA = division line

The difference is why people who watch too much NBA TV think that the NFHS and NCAA officials aren't doing it right.
Old Tue Jan 13, 2009, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
does the ball get administered OOB under the basket, or does it still go to the division line?

What's the violation? It's not for causing the ball to go BC, it's for being the first to touch. So, the inbounds spot is the spot where the ball was touched.