The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Welmer Out; MSU vs KU (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50843-welmer-out-msu-vs-ku.html)

dahoopref Sat Jan 10, 2009 01:53pm

Welmer Out; MSU vs KU

I guess reffing 52 games in 55 days will catch up to you sometime. Welmer said, "I think I pulled a bone in my right foot. I went to make a cut and something just popped."

It will have no affect on the game since Hightower is on the game and looks out of his primary area all the time anyway.

Rich Sat Jan 10, 2009 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 567096)
I guess reffing 52 games in 55 days will catch up to you sometime. Welmer said, "I think I pulled a bone in my right foot. I went to make a cut and something just popped."

It will have no affect on the game since Hightower is on the game and looks out of his primary area all the time anyway.

He looked like he was in pain running during the Wisc/NW game earlier this week. Then again, so did Burr.

JRutledge Sat Jan 10, 2009 02:03pm

Damn you beat me to it.

BTW, the other official is Dan Dorien (from my area) who is has been in the Big Ten for about 3 years. Good for him and his assignment, except for having to work 2 Person under these circumstances.

Peace

dahoopref Sat Jan 10, 2009 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 567100)
BTW, the other official is Dan Dorien (from my area) who is has been in the Big Ten for about 3 years. Good for him and his assignment, except for having to work 2 Person under these circumstances.

Peace

This is a great assignment for your friend especially for only being 3 years in the Big 10.

He will have to "step up his game" now that it is a 2-man crew. This could be a huge career builder for him.:)

Rich Sat Jan 10, 2009 02:20pm

Fractured foot. Lots of assignments are going to have to be re-filled over the next 2 months.

dahoopref Sat Jan 10, 2009 02:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 567103)
Fractured foot. Lots of assignments are going to have to be re-filled over the next 2 months.

I'll have my cel phone by my hip at all times. :D

Scooby Sat Jan 10, 2009 02:38pm

Tom Izzo is mic'ed for the game and when he was told that Welmer was out, it was caught on his mic, and I think it was Izzo saying "just put his a$$ in a chair at center court" I'm sure CBS is not too happy about that.

Rich Sat Jan 10, 2009 02:38pm

Gotta say, so far (8 minutes played, second half) they're doing pretty damned well even though the court coverage is a bit "different."

BktBallRef Sat Jan 10, 2009 03:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 567096)
I guess reffing 52 games in 55 days will catch up to you sometime.

I see he's taken some time off. He worked every day from Nov. 14 until Christmas, including Thanksgiving Day. That's crazy.

JRutledge Sat Jan 10, 2009 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 567101)
This is a great assignment for your friend especially for only being 3 years in the Big 10.

He will have to "step up his game" now that it is a 2-man crew. This could be a huge career builder for him.:)

Well considering that he has worked a couple of years in the MVC and other conferences before he got into the Big Ten, I am very happy for him. He is also was and is on a staff that I just joined in the Chicago and Northeastern Indiana area this past year. He has been very helpful to me personally and I was very happy to see him on this game. Usually a big name gets that kind of assignment.

My first reaction was, "OMG.....Danny Dorien is on the game." I saw Ed and Steve first and did not recognize Danny, until he got a close up.

I am very happy for him and he is a nicer guy than he is an official. Good family man and I wish him the best.

Peace

JCurrie Sat Jan 10, 2009 05:21pm

Did anyone else notice that Dorien and Hightower were working cadillac position for two man? Is this the CCA mechanic for two officials, or had it just been that long since either of them had worked with two?

JRutledge Sat Jan 10, 2009 06:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCurrie (Post 567133)
Did anyone else notice that Dorien and Hightower were working cadillac position for two man? Is this the CCA mechanic for two officials, or had it just been that long since either of them had worked with two?

I did not see the game much after Welmer was hurt. But having said that, there is no CCA Mechanics book on 2 Person mechanics. And what is "Cadillac" position? There is no such term around anymore and I never really knew what people meant by it anyway. :

Peace

Adam Sat Jan 10, 2009 06:15pm

When I reffed in college back in 1993 (or so), cadilac referred to having the players to your right when boxing the players in. If events led you the other way, you would use the next transition opportunity to slide over. Pretty sure this went away mid-90s.

Rich Sat Jan 10, 2009 09:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 567153)
When I reffed in college back in 1993 (or so), cadilac referred to having the players to your right when boxing the players in. If events led you the other way, you would use the next transition opportunity to slide over. Pretty sure this went away mid-90s.

Yup. Since I started in the mid-80s, I can tell you all about it.

You kept the players right (whether lead or trail) always. You would cross over as the trail at the first opportunity. Throw-ins could put both officials on the same side of the court as the lead would administer and the slide over to the other side of the court.

Looking back, it really was about as moronic as it got, but isn't that how mechanics evolve? I wonder what will be seen as silly 20 years from now that we do today?

BktBallRef Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 567204)
Looking back, it really was about as moronic as it got, but isn't that how mechanics evolve? I wonder what will be seen as silly 20 years from now that we do today?

1. Using one hand to report numbers.

2. Raising our hand to stop the clock on violations.