The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   can a kick ball be a T? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50752-can-kick-ball-t.html)

mutantducky Wed Jan 07, 2009 04:19am

can a kick ball be a T?

I think the simple answer is yes. just wanted to check. Haven't seen this before. Say a player is beat and makes a wild kick to stop a pass. Or maybe risking others with the kick even though he wasn't trying to, kind of like a high stick in hockey. Or if they miss the ball completely, still call something there? I'm thinking you don't' want anything dangerous to happen or continue so a T could be warranted.

JRutledge Wed Jan 07, 2009 04:28am

A kicked ball is a violation. Why would you go looking for something else?

Peace

bob jenkins Wed Jan 07, 2009 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mutantducky (Post 565498)
I think the simple answer is yes. just wanted to check. Haven't seen this before. Say a player is beat and makes a wild kick to stop a pass. Or maybe risking others with the kick even though he wasn't trying to, kind of like a high stick in hockey. Or if they miss the ball completely, still call something there? I'm thinking you don't' want anything dangerous to happen or continue so a T could be warranted.

It could be, but I don't think it is in any of your examples.

grunewar Wed Jan 07, 2009 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 565526)
It could be, but I don't think it is in any of your examples.

Yep, if I saw someone intentionally "soccer kick" a ball across a gym or into the stands he might just earn himself a capital T!

OHBBREF Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 565500)
A kicked ball is a violation. Why would you go looking for something else?

Rut has it covered I am not sure what you are looking for here?

Quote:

Say a player is beat and makes a wild kick to stop a pass. Or maybe risking others with the kick even though he wasn't trying to, kind of like a high stick in hockey. Or if they miss the ball completely, still call something there? I'm thinking you don't' want anything dangerous to happen or continue so a T could be warranted.

just throwing out a leg to stop the ball is not a violation - they have to contact the ball - now if the player misses the ball and actually kicks someone - then we are talking about something different entirely and it wouldn't be a kick ball. However - doubt that you could come up with a T here if the player was going for the ball, maybe intentional (exessive contact)
or something of that nature.

There might be one situation and I can not even imagine it happening where actually kciking the ball might result in a T, that would be someone taking several steps and kicking a ball into the stands or down the court similar to soccer player kicking a loose ball in the field, but the T would not be for a kicked ball.

ma_ref Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:16am

Quote:

Say a player is beat and makes a wild kick to stop a pass.

Violation

Quote:

Or maybe risking others with the kick even though he wasn't trying to, kind of like a high stick in hockey.

No contact = no foul, unless the kick was flagrant. If there's contact, then I'd probably just have a personal foul.

Quote:

Or if they miss the ball completely, still call something there?

No

Quote:

I'm thinking you don't' want anything dangerous to happen or continue so a T could be warranted.

I can't think of any kick ball that would result in a T. Kick ball is always a violation. If you want something more, then it ceases to be a kick ball and becomes a technical foul (i.e. unsportsmanlike conduct - kicking the ball down court instead of handing it to official), or flagrant (intentionally kicking a player, or kicking the ball directly at another player).

OHBBREF Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:22am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref (Post 565540)
No contact = no foul, unless the kick was flagrant.

Please explain that one, flagrant with no contact?

I know it is semantics but if you call anything else it is not a kicked ball - IMHO if it is a kicked ball that is it - if you have something else it might be a result of the action of kicking but not a kicked ball.

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 565543)

I know it is semantics but if you call anything else it is not a kicked ball - IMHO if it is a kicked ball that is it - if you have something else it might be a result of the action of kicking but not a kicked ball.

A player kicking at a ball wouldn't be flagrant, but a player kicking at another player may be flagrant if it's deemed to be a fighting act. Very possible.

You're right, it's semantics. The question is, can you call a technical for a player kicking the ball? The answer is, yes, but....

Unless the player is doing his best Beckam impression or tees off and kicks the ball right at an opponent, a T is going to be very hard to justify.

ma_ref Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 565543)

2 kids jarring back and forth during the game, one kid has had enough and attempts to kick the other but misses. Fighting. Flagrant.

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref (Post 565556)
2 kids jarring back and forth during the game, one kid has had enough and attempts to kick the other but misses. Fighting. Flagrant.

Or after a loose ball.

PIAA REF Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:38am

If a kid got mad at a call and took the ball and punted it I think I would deem that Flagrant. Maybe it would depend on the distance the ball traveled.

OHBBREF Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ma_ref (Post 565556)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 565557)
Or after a loose ball.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PIAA REF (Post 565560)
If a kid got mad at a call and took the ball and punted it I think I would deem that Flagrant. Maybe it would depend on the distance the ball traveled.

Okay I can see that but none of those are a "kicked ball" (using the rule interpretation) they all involve some other rule.

Adam Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 565566)
Okay I can see that but none of those are a "kicked ball" (using the rule interpretation) they all involve some other rule.

yup, semantics. :)

Indianaref Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:47am

What about this kicked ball:

YouTube - Basket Ball Game Fight

ma_ref Wed Jan 07, 2009 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by OHBBREF (Post 565566)

Yeah, mine had nothing to do with a kicked ball. I thought you were asking about how you could have a flagrant foul with no contact...