The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Red face Oh oh, now what?

Three man, I'm lead. I don't remember what lead up to this point but A1 jumps to keep a ball from going out of bounds on C's sideline. Her momentum carries her out of bounds. Ball heads toward endline, same player comes inbounds and jumps to pull ball back inbounds again. Her momentum carries her out of bounds again. C whistles.

Soon one of the coaches calls a timeout. I run to partner and asked him why he whistled the ball dead. He said, "She had gone out of bounds and was the first to touch the ball inbounds. That's illegal."

At halftime, I find out my other partner agrees with him. I'm a bit of a rules nut, so I'm wondering where this rule is since all I can remember is that a thrower can't be the first to touch the ball on a throw-in. If I missed this rule, there's more I don't know, so I want to find it.

After the game, I'm talking with one of the officials on the C game. I describe the situation and she says, "Why would that be illegal?" I agreed with her, but it wouldn't be the first time I didn't understand the why for a rule.

During the varsity game she and I finally find 7.1.1 in the casebook. Surprise! She and I had it right.

Our next question was, how do we let the varsity guys know without showing them up? (BTW, the one on the C game agreed with us.)

We thought "Neener, neener" wouldn't go over well.

Rita

Last edited by Rita C; Wed Jan 07, 2009 at 01:23am. Reason: Added smiley
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
Probably don't need to "neener neener" but you could ask them if they have a rule reference that backs their opinion, because you certainly do. If their egos are too big to realize they kicked the call they have bigger issues than rules knowledge.

Only the dribbler in control cannot go out of bounds and be the first to touch. Considered one of the most misunderstood rules in basketball.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I'd ask them much like you asked us, "I'm still confused about that call the other night. As I read x-x-x (whatever the rule is) -- here, look at it -- it seems to imply that the play was legal. I just want to be sure I get it right when it happens to me."
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:25am
Ref Ump Welsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
Three man, I'm lead. I don't remember what lead up to this point but A1 jumps to keep a ball from going out of bounds on C's sideline. Her momentum carries her out of bounds. Ball heads toward endline, same player comes inbounds and jumps to pull ball back inbounds again. Her momentum carries her out of bounds again. C whistles.
WOW! Was this girl the only one on the court???? I had to visualize and revisualize this play. But you got the rule right, she wasn't a dribbler, and it wasn't a throw-in. Your partners kicked it big time.