The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jun 02, 2002, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Thumbs up

Finally did my first USBL game last night. I had a great time and enjoyed it a whole lot. Both of my partners were much more experienced than I was (at the pro level) and were very helpful. I arrived at the game site about 75 minutes prior to game time and we had a very good pre-game. We talked about the restricted area, defensive 3-seconds, mechanics, switches, substitutions, GT and BI responsibilities, and special situations in the last 2 minutes. It was very relaxed and conversational. I was actually not real nervous until we got out on the floor. There was not a huge crowd, but probably about 1,200 people were there.

Once the game started, I felt really good. In fact, our first screw-up wasn't even my fault . I felt good about that. I called a shooting foul from the C (slot) position opposite the table. I reported the foul and then went to take my new position as Trail for the FTs. But my partner just stood there like I was supposed to go back (and be opposite the table). Finally, the light bulb went on and he went to the other side of the floor. Whew!

As far as calling the game, I felt like I did a good job of keying in off the ball and I called an offensive foul (away from the ball), which my partner thought could've been a double foul. Both players were banging, but then the offensive player really lowered his shoulder and knocked the defender back a couple of steps. My partner thought I probably could've had a double foul a little earlier. He's probably right.

We also had a blarge call. Ugh. And of course, I was involved in it. I was Lead. The ball started on my side of the floor, right in front of the Trail. A1 drives from the top of the 3-point line and has his torso past B1. B2 comes to help. B2 realizes that he's in the restricted area and steps forward (toward A1) to get out of the area. Bang! I call block, b/c I thought that B2 was still moving forward when the contact occured. Trail comes in hard with the offensive foul. He wanted it, he was sure, so we went with the offensive and got it back in play. Unfortunately, I don't have tape of the play, so I can't review it. But I'm not sure we got it right.

I also missed a rotation late in the 3rd quarter. I should have slid from C to T and didn't see my partner rotate. So when we went the other way, I didn't realize I was new L. Only happened once tho.

We also granted a "9:00" mandatory TO in the 3rd quarter. Unfortunately, there's no mandatory in the 3rd until after the 6:00 mark. But again, not my fault!! We just skipped the 6:00 TO to make up for it.

My biggest concern was that I hit "the wall" mentally with about 5 minutes left in the game. I felt fatigued and was not focusing well. I worked through it and was focused again by about the 3 minute mark. But I will have to prepare myself better next game to make sure I don't fade out in the 4th quarter.

The players were very athletic and some had very good skills. The shooting was pretty good and we also had several fun dunks. We had a couple jump balls, a player technical, a couple of offensive 3-second calls, offensive BI. I also could have called a defensive 3-second violation; but it would've been against the team that was down by 20 with 3 minutes to go. I let it go. My partner said that was ok in the game situation. Same situation with 3 minutes to go in the 1st quarter, tho, and I should call it.

Overall, I think I held my own pretty well. There's certainly a lot for me to work on; particularly court awareness and identifying the competetive matchups. But I felt as though I did the basics very well.

Biggest disappointment was that we didn't shake the coaches' hands. So I didn't get to say hi to Kareem. I don't think he was feeling well anyway. He didn't look like he wanted to be there, didn't say much, and left the court immediately after the game without giving any autographs or talking to anyone.

Other than that, I absolutely loved it. I'm now really disappointed that I'll only be doing one more game. Thanks for letting me share.

Chuck
Old Sun Jun 02, 2002, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Were there any howler monkeys at the game or did you have real coaches?
Old Sun Jun 02, 2002, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Hey, got that first one under your belt, congrats!

The blarge: it was coming your way, it's your call. The T should have given it up, IMO.

The missed rotation: If this was an ECAC game missing ONE
rotation wouldn't have been a big deal, right? Worth
thinking about, sure, but let's not lose any sleep over
this.

Not shaking hands: you're a referee, not a fan. Kareem or
some dad coach, what's the difference?

Congrats on being there, keep knocking their socks off!

Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Hey, got that first one under your belt, congrats!

The blarge: it was coming your way, it's your call. The T should have given it up, IMO.
I think so, too. But I was the rookie, and he was emphatic that he was sure. So it just seemed best to let him take it.

Quote:
The missed rotation: If this was an ECAC game missing ONE rotation wouldn't have been a big deal, right? Worth thinking about, sure, but let's not lose any sleep over this.
Definitely not losing any sleep. But I was just trying to give full disclosure

Quote:
Not shaking hands: you're a referee, not a fan. Kareem or some dad coach, what's the difference?
Hmmmm, about 40,000 points? Again, I'm not losing any sleep, but it would've been great to shake his hand and say "Good luck, Coach Murdock!"

As far as howler monkeys, Kareem coached Oklahoma; and the Adirondack coach was also a former NBA player, Mike Sanders. Neither of them said much to the officials. Unlike the coach I tossed yesterday from an AAU game. What a putz that guy was.

Chuck
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Way to go Chuck! Now you can say you are officialy a "professional referee!" I was just thinking about that fact that you had you're first game, and you had already posted.

"The blarge: it was coming your way, it's your call. The T should have given it up,"

This is a philosophy that is dramatically different than NF and in some cases (although it's getting better) NCAA coverage.
If the play started in Trail's primary, then Trail has responsibility to take it to the basket.
Remember as Lead, you don't accept the ball until it is CLEARLY BELOW the free-throw line extended. It really makes for a tough visual switch if you try to pick that up from Lead the the last second.
Also, the Pro-philosophy regarding how much movement is too much when it comes to a defender taking a charge is different than most are used to.
A defender is allowed to "firm-up". Which may include a small step to either side, or even a slight movement
forward. (anticipating having to absorb the contact)
It's tough to train yourself not to "split hairs" on this play. Remember, "BIG PICTURE"
(I was hoping you went with the Differing of opinions rule.
Personal foul on each player and then jump at center circle, any two opponents.

Anyway, congrats again,and do what you can to get a tape!
And if you get one, send me a copy.
And, get used to not shaking coaches hands. In the Pro game
it doesn't happen. (or very rarely)
I personally like it that way.
Keep up the good work.
Drake

Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Ok, I forgot a point.
On the Blarge. There is nothing wrong with you having a whistle on this play. Just try to be the second one.
Remember "ACTION-REACTION." Let Trail have the "ACTION" whistle, and then if he has none, and it needs to be called, then you have a "REACTION" whistle.
Ok, I'll shut up.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrakeM
Ok, I forgot a point.
On the Blarge. There is nothing wrong with you having a whistle on this play. Just try to be the second one.
I'll try to keep that in mind. We had another double whistle earlier in the game where I was slot in transition. The player drove to the basket from my side of the floor. The Lead and I both had whistles, we made eye contact and I took the call. Exactly how it should work. I was glad I did that one right, at least.

Chuck
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 09:24am
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

I'm with Drake on this one. The T started with the play and as L we need to hold the whistle until T has had a chance to make a decision on the play. This is like a "secondary" responsibility for the L--he gets the late look.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Way to go Chuck! Now you can say you are officialy a "professional referee!" I was just thinking about that fact that you had you're first game, and you had already posted.

"The blarge: it was coming your way, it's your call. The T should have given it up,"

This is a philosophy that is dramatically different than NF and in some cases (although it's getting better) NCAA coverage.
If the play started in Trail's primary, then Trail has responsibility to take it to the basket.
Remember as Lead, you don't accept the ball until it is CLEARLY BELOW the free-throw line extended. It really makes for a tough visual switch if you try to pick that up from Lead the the last second....
Drake, the way I read it B2 was in the restricted area, ie
in the paint under the basket. Maybe I'm misunderstanding
what you're saying but how can this be the T's whistle? The
way I'm picturing what happened the T must have been
straight lined by the dribbler and missed B2's forward
motion. Also, since B2 is coming in to help the L would
have responsibility for him as well because he should be
looking for this action in any case. I would think with the play right in front of the L the T has to be the one who
waits for a no-call from the L, then come in strong.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Chuck --

Wow!! You are to be admired and envied.! Keep up the great work!! Thanks for talking to us little folks about it -- gives us a role model.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Juulie, I appreciate you being so positive, and your excitement for my situation. But as is clear just from this thread, I still have plenty to improve. I just want to be clear that I'm not making these posts to be a big shot, or to differentiate myself from the "little people". I'm just sharing my excitement. I'm just like everybody else here; trying to learn, trying to move up, trying to be as good as I can be in whatever game I happen to be working at the time.

Chuck
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Hey! Chuck Elias do what Chuck Elias gotta do!
(with apologies to Karl Malone, Ricky Henderson, etc.)
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Dan,
I don't know if this play was a restricted area play. Chuck????
And I'm not saying Chuck was wrong in his call. Just trying to state some philosophy.
Even at that, If I was Trail, I would take it to the hole, probably step down to try and get the best "open look" at possible. (We're taught that once the ball goes below the free-throw line extended, Trail needs to get to 28' mark. Or wherever the best angle to see the play is)
If however the Lead sees this is a restricted area play, If would hope that he/she would step up and make that known,
so the right call can be made.
I personally think the "it's coming at me"philosophy is on it's way out. The person that the play is "coming to" doesn't always have the best look.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dan,
And I'm not saying Chuck was wrong in his call. Just trying to state some philosophy.
Even at that, If I was Trail, I would take it to the hole, probably step down to try and get the best "open look" at possible. (We're taught that once the ball goes below the free-throw line extended, Trail needs to get to 28' mark. Or wherever the best angle to see the play is)
If however the Lead sees this is a restricted area play, If would hope that he/she would step up and make that known,
so the right call can be made.
I personally think the "it's coming at me"philosophy is on it's way out. The person that the play is "coming to" doesn't always have the best look.
I understand that you were talking philosophy, it just
seemed to me that what you were saying didn't apply in
this case. And what you're saying is not all that foreign
to the "non-Pro" folks, we understand what it means to
follow the play out of our primary into someone elses
area. Anyway, here's Chuck's original post, looks
to me like B2 was coming out of the restricted area...

We also had a blarge call. Ugh. And of course, I was involved in it. I was Lead. The ball started on my side of the floor, right in front of the Trail. A1 drives from the top of the 3-point line and has his torso past B1. B2 comes to help. B2 realizes that he's in the restricted area and steps forward (toward A1) to get out of the area. Bang! I call block, b/c I thought that B2 was still moving forward when the contact occured. Trail comes in hard with the offensive foul. He wanted it, he was sure, so we went with the offensive and got it back in play. Unfortunately, I don't have tape of the play, so I can't review it. But I'm not sure we got it right.

Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dan,
The contact occurred outside the R.A. B2 started inside the restricted area and then stepped forward to get out of it. My opinion was that he was still moving forward when the contact occurred.

Quote:
I personally think the "it's coming at me" philosophy is on it's way out. The person that the play is "coming to" doesn't always have the best look.
I don't know if it's on its way out, but it's definitely true that having the play come to you does not guarantee a good look. It's still possible to get straight-lined if the ballhandler is coming straight at the defender. Personally, I hate it when I'm in that situation in a 2-man game.

Chuck