The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Is It Inappropriate to Laugh?

First year ref. I had a boys JV game and I was lead and called a foul right in front of the bench of the offending team. As I'm going to report it, the coach is in my ear with "you've got to be kidding me. You guys have let that stuff go the ENTIRE GAME and NOW you're going to call it........"

We were less than 3 minutes into the FIRST quarter. That made me chuckle.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
First year ref. I had a boys JV game and I was lead and called a foul right in front of the bench of the offending team. As I'm going to report it, the coach is in my ear with "you've got to be kidding me. You guys have let that stuff go the ENTIRE GAME and NOW you're going to call it........"

He's an idiot, but I wouldn't laugh. Makes you look like you're trying to bait him.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

If that response is in your personality I see nothing wrong with laughing. I laugh all the time when here ridiculous comments from coaches. I would rather laugh then look at them like I am going to decapitate them with my look.

Body language is much more about your personality and what might work for you. No one here can honestly tell you how to react to all situations.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

I am sarcastic. So sometimes I say sarcastic things to coaches. If they respond in kind to me I have to be able to take what I dish. So if you want to laugh and he responds with something you might not necessarily like, you will have to learn to deal with those.

But having personality is fine just dont penalize a coach when he "personalities" you back.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:10pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:

If your natural reaction is that little burst of grinning, then it is fine with me. Don't ROFL though.

I had a coach about 6 weeks ago tell me to call it both ways. I SOOO wanted to face the table and report, then face the crowd and report, but I didn't. Oh ya, the call? < 60 seconds into the game.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

it was one of those wind up doll coaches with the same recorded message.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I am sarcastic. So sometimes I say sarcastic things to coaches. If they respond in kind to me I have to be able to take what I dish. So if you want to laugh and he responds with something you might not necessarily like, you will have to learn to deal with those.

But having personality is fine just dont penalize a coach when he "personalities" you back.
I laughed at a comment once and the coach asked what I found so funny. I just smiled at him and told him it was a game and was supposed to be fun and the way he said what he did just tickled my funnybone. He looked back, shook his head and laughed with me. Now he laughs almost every time I enter the gym.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't laugh or say something sarcastic towards the coach. If could be constured as a form of taunting or baiting. Officials should conduct themselves with honor and dignity. Most likely, I would say this coach is in for part one of the 3 W's.
Having said that, there is nothing wrong with a mutual laugh with a coach.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui View Post
Now he laughs almost every time I enter the gym.
Maybe it's your haircut.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:32pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Concur, this is a personality thing. Like Mark being sarcastic with coaches – many of us couldn’t get away with it and shouldn't try.

During some of my evaluations I have been told I’m a little too serious/tense and to loosen up a bit. So, now I try to keep it more light and I have been known to even smile (like I’m actually having fun, which I sometimes am) on the court especially during an unbelievable play by a 14 or 15 yr old, or maybe a great call/suggestion from a fan – “C’mon ref that’s a moving screen” or if the game is close and maybe heading toward OT and I think WWMPD?

Seriously, I once smiled on the court when a play developed in front of me we discussed on the Forum earlier that very week. But, I can’t ever recall actually laughing.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 01:59pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I called a travel on a JV boy once when he fell to his butt with the ball. We were in the corner tableside near the end of his bench. Coach says, "When he lands, his butt cheek becomes the pivot."

I smiled out loud.

"I'm not kidding."

I put the ball in play, smiling quietly.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I wouldn't laugh or say something sarcastic towards the coach. If could be constured as a form of taunting or baiting. Officials should conduct themselves with honor and dignity. Most likely, I would say this coach is in for part one of the 3 W's.
OK, but how would you respond when a coach whines "you gotta give us the same call on this end.." when his team has been shooting the bonus since the 4 minute mark of the 3rd quarter, but your crew just called the second foul on his team?

Or, when a coach asks you the question "Why call fouls?", then complains when he doesn't get a foul called because his team misses 5 uncontested layups on one posession as the other team stands and watches? It would be so easy to respond, " But Coach, why call fouls?" ( I didn't, BTW, but I wanted to soooooo bad!!!!)
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
I do not see what one has to do with the other?

Also, we throw baiting around, without really finishing what it really is. Its only baiting if you follow up with a T. If you say something that the coach responds to, and you might not like what he said, and you dont T, that's not baiting. Its pretty simple actually. If i say something tongue in cheek and the coach responds to that comment directly, I have to have a lot more rope to give him than I normally would.

Taunting, I think not!
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:45pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
Concur, this is a personality thing. Like Mark being sarcastic with coaches – many of us couldn’t get away with it and shouldn't try.

or if the game is close and maybe heading toward OT and I think WWMPD?
Glad I can be of service. BTW - when a coach yells, "Why don't you call the foul?" a good response is, "What's the point? You'll just miss the free throws anyway."
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

Have Fun

Some people laugh out of nervousness, some laugh when having fun.

Don't laugh in coaches face but do have fun during the game. Having fun is an important part of officiating!