The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump Ball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50619-jump-ball.html)

And-1 Wed Dec 31, 2008 05:29am

Jump Ball
 
Hello fellow officials I am new to this forum and have enjoy reading all the threads I have learned a lot. Every now and then I visit this forum to educate myself more about the rules and it has help me be a better official.


Anyway I have a question about a jump ball situation that happen in my game yesterday (2 men crew)


At the start of the game my partner tosses the jump ball for jumper A1 and B2. A great toss by my partner both A1 and B2 jump up for the tap. The ball is tip around about 3 times before the ball even touch the floor or the non jumpers, now jumper A1 gain control of the jump ball. My partner calls a violation on A1 for being the first person to gain possession of the jump ball now I didnít question his call and just went with what he had.
After the jump ball violation my partner awards the throw in to Team B for a spot throw in at the mid court. After Team B inbounds, the possession arrow is now set toward Team ďBĒ basket. I told the table to switch the arrow to Team ďAĒ basket because the possession of A1 during the jump ball did not count since the violation was called on Team A. One minute has gone by and now we have a jump ball and I signal toward Team ďAĒ basket. My partner over ruled the possession arrow and said that its Team B ball because Team A gain possession when A1 grab the ball during the jump ball. He said that once A1 control the jump ball even though itís a violation team control and possession was establish soon as A1 gain control of the ball once again I didnít not question his call.
At halftime I did ask him on both rulings and I told him I think that his ruling for both was wrong. Of course he was the veteran official and I didnít want to make a big deal about it so I left it alone after he said that was the correct call.

Soon as I got home I tried to look for it in the rule and case book and did not find any info about it so can someone please clarify the ruling and where is it in the case or rule book for me.

Thank you

shishstripes Wed Dec 31, 2008 07:47am

You were right in that arrow should have been set to team A. Although A1 did grab the ball, which could be thought of as possession, it was ruled a violation. Team B inbounds after the violation, setting the arrow to team A when the throw-in is completed. Sorry I do not have case book for citation.

A1 can legally be the first to touch the ball after the jump ball has ended when it has touched another player or the floor.

See this older but very similar thread where Nevada sets it straight: http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...jump-ball.html

JugglingReferee Wed Dec 31, 2008 07:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by And-1 (Post 563000)
Hello fellow officials I am new to this forum and have enjoy reading all the threads I have learned a lot. Every now and then I visit this forum to educate myself more about the rules and it has help me be a better official.

Welcome aboard! We hope you stay and post more times!

Quote:

Originally Posted by And-1 (Post 563000)
At the start of the game my partner tosses the jump ball for jumper A1 and B2. A great toss by my partner both A1 and B2 jump up for the tap. The ball is tip around about 3 times before the ball even touch the floor or the non jumpers, now jumper A1 gain control of the jump ball. My partner calls a violation on A1 for being the first person to gain possession of the jump ball now I didnít question his call and just went with what he had.

After the jump ball violation my partner awards the throw in to Team B for a spot throw in at the mid court. After Team B inbounds, the possession arrow is now set toward Team ďBĒ basket. I told the table to switch the arrow to Team ďAĒ basket because the possession of A1 during the jump ball did not count since the violation was called on Team A. One minute has gone by and now we have a jump ball and I signal toward Team ďAĒ basket. My partner over ruled the possession arrow and said that its Team B ball because Team A gain possession when A1 grab the ball during the jump ball. He said that once A1 control the jump ball even though itís a violation team control and possession was establish soon as A1 gain control of the ball once again I didnít not question his call.
At halftime I did ask him on both rulings and I told him I think that his ruling for both was wrong. Of course he was the veteran official and I didnít want to make a big deal about it so I left it alone after he said that was the correct call.

Soon as I got home I tried to look for it in the rule and case book and did not find any info about it so can someone please clarify the ruling and where is it in the case or rule book for me.

Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 563007)
You were right in that arrow should have been set to team A. Although A1 did grab the ball, which could be thought of as possession, it was ruled a violation. Team B inbounds after the violation, setting the arrow to team A when the throw-in is completed. Sorry I do not have case book for citation.

A1 can legally be the first to touch the ball after the jump ball has ended when it has touched another player or the floor.

Once the throw-in was placed at the disposal of Team B, the arrow should have been set to Team A.

So technically, waiting UNTIL the ball is inbounded is incorrect. HOWEVER, setting the arrow before the ball is at the disposal of the non-violating team is also incorrect. Based on the two situations, I believe that waiting is the better way to go. But I point it out to illustrate the finer point of the rule.

Your partner, unfortunately, was incorrect. This rule/interpretation (I forget which) was changed a few years ago. You nailed the call correctly.

Setting the arrow is 4.3 and the rule is 4.3.3a:

Quote:

ART. 3 . . . The ball is placed at the disposal of the thrower after:
a. A violation during or following the jump before a player secures control.
The interp was that control didn't happen because the control was illegal.

And-1 Wed Dec 31, 2008 05:13pm

Thank you

AKOFL Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishstripes (Post 563007)
You were right in that arrow should have been set to team A. Although A1 did grab the ball, which could be thought of as possession, it was ruled a violation. Team B inbounds after the violation, setting the arrow to team A when the throw-in is completed. Sorry I do not have case book for citation.

A1 can legally be the first to touch the ball after the jump ball has ended when it has touched another player or the floor.

See this older but very similar thread where Nevada sets it straight: http://forum.officiating.com/basketb...jump-ball.html

I think in this sit the arrow is set immediatly to team A when at the disposal of the thrower from team B. You do not set it after the throw-in is complete. 6.4.1 sit E. It is still a violation to touch the ball more than twice also so you may have had a violaton before the one called if I read right


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1