The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   AP after Free Throw Lodges? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50551-ap-after-free-throw-lodges.html)

Freddy Thu Dec 25, 2008 07:57pm

AP after Free Throw Lodges?

Monday, avidly observing the game before ours, I witnessed a free throw attempt in which the ball lodged between the rim and the backboard. While calculating the odds of that ever happening again (about a kazzilion to one, I figure), I noticed the ball was awarded for a throw in based on the AP arrow.

I find no mention of this situation in either the rulebook or the casebook, and I assume this procedure to resume play is correct.

Anybody know of any reason why going with is AP arrow on this is not correct in this one-in-a-million situation?

tjones1 Thu Dec 25, 2008 08:00pm

They were correct. Check out 6-4-3d. Also a case situation, 6.4.3 Situation B.

BillyMac Thu Dec 25, 2008 08:22pm

Only On Field Goal Tries, Until ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 561653)
I witnessed a free throw attempt in which the ball lodged between the rim and the backboard. While calculating the odds of that ever happening again (about a kazzilion to one, I figure) ...

Either the free throw must have been like a line drive shot out of a cannon, or the ball must have been very much under inflated?

williebfree Thu Dec 25, 2008 08:22pm

And for those without casebooks handy....

Think this through on the basis of commonly known (well they should be) definitions....

Once a shooter releases for a try, no player or team control exists.; therefore, just as in a FG attempt, when the ball becomes wedged between rim and backboard the AP arrow is used.

BillyMac Thu Dec 25, 2008 08:26pm

For Coaches, And Fanboys, Without Casebooks ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjones1 (Post 561654)
They were correct. Check out 6-4-3d. Also a case situation, 6.4.3 Situation B.

6.4.3 SITUATION B: A1 is fouled in the act of shooting by B1. A1’s try lodges between the ring and the backboard. RULING: A1 is awarded two free throws and play continues as per any similar free-throw situation. Even though the ball lodged, alternating possession is not used as the ball is put in play with the free throws resulting from B1’s foul. Alternating possession would have been used to resume play in this situation if no foul had been committed.

refnrev Thu Dec 25, 2008 09:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 561653)
Monday, avidly observing the game before ours, I witnessed a free throw attempt in which the ball lodged between the rim and the backboard. While calculating the odds of that ever happening again (about a kazzilion to one, I figure), I noticed the ball was awarded for a throw in based on the AP arrow.

I find no mention of this situation in either the rulebook or the casebook, and I assume this procedure to resume play is correct.

Anybody know of any reason why going with is AP arrow on this is not correct in this one-in-a-million situation?

There was not supposed to be another throw, right?

Freddy Thu Dec 25, 2008 09:32pm

Right, no further FT's were to follow.

It was just unheard of enough, at least to me, that it caused me to rethink it.

BTW, we used the same ball for the varsity contest. Not underinflated a bit. Just a one in a kazillion odds. I bet I'll never see it happen again.

BillyMac Thu Dec 25, 2008 09:46pm

I Wouldn't Bet Against You ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 561678)
We used the same ball for the varsity contest. Not under inflated a bit. Just a one in a kazillion odds. I bet I'll never see it happen again.

Are you sure it wasn't a girl's ball? I have found that due to their smaller diameter, they're more likely to lodge between the rim and the backboard.

Adam Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by williebfree (Post 561661)
Think this through on the basis of commonly known (well they should be) definitions....

Once a shooter releases for a try, no player or team control exists.; therefore, just as in a FG attempt, when the ball becomes wedged between rim and backboard the AP arrow is used.

However, if this was on a throwin, it would be a violation on the thrower.

26 Year Gap Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:37pm

And, of course, never, I repeat, never, try to get the ball dislodged yourself.

BillyMac Fri Dec 26, 2008 01:29pm

Nice Job Guys ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 561768)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 561771)
And, of course, never, I repeat, never, try to get the ball dislodged yourself.

Two very good points.

eg-italy Fri Dec 26, 2008 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 561768)

In FIBA it's a jump ball situation and the throw-in would has ended. The ball is given to the team favored by the AP arrow. So, if the original throw-in was for AP, the arrow has been switched and the ball goes to the other team.

Just to do something different. :)

Ref Ump Welsch Fri Dec 26, 2008 03:35pm

I'll give you a one in a million shot...did a boys Varsity game this month, the inside guy put up a floater shot...it bounced on the back fringe of the rim...and just sat there. When partner blew it dead, and signaled held ball (for the AP), one of the players from the opposing team told me not to worry, he would get it down. He was only 6'2" (maybe an inch taller) and jumped straight up, and grabbed it and brought it down for me. Now all of that was one in a million!

Adam Fri Dec 26, 2008 03:36pm

I had the defense kick an entry pass right into the basket in a jv game a few weeks ago.

26 Year Gap Fri Dec 26, 2008 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 561828)
I had the defense kick an entry pass right into the basket in a jv game a few weeks ago.

The coach probably wondered if he could decline the violation, I bet.