The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Whistle to end period (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/50544-whistle-end-period.html)

fullor30 Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:45am

Whistle to end period

There was a thread on this with two schools of thought..........I can't find or was I dreaming.

And Merry Christmas!

Rich Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 561586)
There was a thread on this with two schools of thought..........I can't find or was I dreaming.

And Merry Christmas!

I'll start.

Always. By the covering official ONLY.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:59am

NFHS Forum: End of Quarter

mbyron Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 561588)
I'll start.

Agreed.

fullor30 Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:41pm

I was day dreaming the other day during a blowout, and was in Cadillac with last second shot responsibility and didn't toot. I heard it from my partners and meekly remembered a thread( which Nevada found) over on NFHS site which covers this. I vaguely remembered that some find no need to blow unless a last second shot goes up to which I agree.

I was in a fog, and didn't catch time remaining was the main reason I was asleep at the wheel.

JRutledge Thu Dec 25, 2008 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 561588)
I'll start.

Yep.

Peace

Rich Thu Dec 25, 2008 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 561596)
I was day dreaming the other day during a blowout, and was in Cadillac with last second shot responsibility and didn't toot. I heard it from my partners and meekly remembered a thread( which Nevada found) over on NFHS site which covers this. I vaguely remembered that some find no need to blow unless a last second shot goes up to which I agree.

I was in a fog, and didn't catch time remaining was the main reason I was asleep at the wheel.

Do what's expected in your area. I put this right with whistling in subs (which I also do on every sub, horn or no horn).

Nevadaref Thu Dec 25, 2008 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 561607)
Do what's expected in your area. I put this right with whistling in subs (which I also do on every sub, horn or no horn).

That's in the NFHS manual.
Not that you'd know or care. ;)

Rich Thu Dec 25, 2008 02:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 561608)
That's in the NFHS manual.
Not that you'd know or care. ;)

I do know that. They slipped that in, I believe, in the last revision. Of course, we'd been doing that for years. :D

Of course, one could argue that the horn and the whistle are redundant in the sub situation, too.

fullor30 Thu Dec 25, 2008 02:23pm

That's that seems to be 50/50 in my area. If horn sounds, I tend not to toot.

Conversely, it bugs me when I toot, verbally call them in and then the horn goes off a few seconds later.

JRutledge Thu Dec 25, 2008 02:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 561609)
I do know that. They slipped that in, I believe, in the last revision. Of course, we'd been doing that for years. :D

Of course, one could argue that the horn and the whistle are redundant in the sub situation, too.

Please, we were doing things long before the NF recognized the behavior (kicked ball, holding signal). Who cares what the manual says if the people in your area want you to do what they feel is best. If that is the NF's position, then why would anyone care? ;)

Peace

bob jenkins Thu Dec 25, 2008 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullor30 (Post 561611)
That's that seems to be 50/50 in my area. If horn sounds, I tend not to toot.

Conversely, it bugs me when I toot, verbally call them in and then the horn goes off a few seconds later.

Too many tables seem to think the horn is a *required* part of the sub process. It's to be used to get the official's attention if the official doesn't see the sub.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 25, 2008 04:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 561627)
Too many tables seem to think the horn is a *required* part of the sub process. It's to be used to get the official's attention if the official doesn't see the sub.

3-3-1 d says shall.

Rich Thu Dec 25, 2008 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 561627)

Like Nevada said, I think it's always supposed to go, but I don't let it affect my officiating. Once or twice a game I'll be thankful for the presence of the horn.

The tables also think they can tell us not to allow a sub cause the person wasn't resting on the X when we summoned them.

tjones1 Thu Dec 25, 2008 07:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 561595)
Agreed.

Me too!