The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rburn22281
A1 goes in for a layup. B1 is standing directly under the basket and is not moving. A1 makes the layup and lands into B1 and bodies hit the floor. I need some guidance in making this call. My concern is, should A1 be allowed space to land since B1 is directly under the basket?

Semper Fi
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rburn22281
A1 goes in for a layup. B1 is standing directly under the basket and is not moving. A1 makes the layup and lands into B1 and bodies hit the floor. I need some guidance in making this call. My concern is, should A1 be allowed space to land since B1 is directly under the basket?

Semper Fi
By rule this is a PC on A1, both NF & NCAA men. What gets
called is a different story, I'm a no-call type of guy
in these cases. Usually. I understand that by interp this
is a block on B1 under NCAA women's rules.
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Thumbs up

rburn,

You are correct in your assumption. Once a shooter goes into the air legally to attempt a shot, the shooter has a right to come back to the floor. If any call is to be made here, you have to call a BLOCKING foul on the defender.
However, you can pass on the call, depending on the contact that happens and make a "no call" on this play. I hope this helps. Good Luck

John Sandlin
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

This is a charge in NFHS (high school) rules. There is no special provision about being under the basket. The rule is designed to penalize an offensive player who displaces a defender who has legally established their location.

I am assuming that B established position prior to A becoming an airborne shooter.

Z

[Edited by zebraman on May 30th, 2002 at 12:45 PM]
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
This topic always generates some heat. By rule (and backed up by case plays and A.R.'s), if the defender gets to that spot before the shooter leaves the ground, and then there is contact that warrants a foul, the foul is on the shooter, regardless of where "that spot" is. There is no exception for a defender who has gained legal guarding position directly under the basket.

Many people will argue that the spirit of the rule dictates that an official should not call a PC when the defender is directly under the basket b/c "he can't be playing defense there"; therefore, he shouldn't be rewarded. As I said, by rule, this is an incorrect interpretation.

The bottom line, however, is that many assignors want the rule to be interpreted that way. So you need to find out from your board interpreter and/or your local assignor how the play is to be called -- and then call it that way.

Chuck
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
Once a shooter goes into the air legally to attempt a shot, the shooter has a right to come back to the floor. If any call is to be made here, you have to call a BLOCKING foul on the defender.
John, I'm not sure if you mean what you wrote here, but if what you say is true, then there would NEVER be a player control foul on a shooter. The shooter has a right to return to the spot from which he jumped (principle of verticality), but if he's moving forward into a defender, he has no right to land in the defender's spot.

Chuck
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 12:47pm
Esteemed Participant

Actually there is an exception, Chuck...in NCAA Women's rules and interp, that would be a blocking foul on the defender under the basket - unless the offensive player was driving parallel to the baseline...not meaning to argue merits of the ruling, just correcting your statement about the no exceptions...NFHS - there are no exceptions to the spot on the floor...NCAA Men - I don't know...NCAA Women - I already stated thir exception...
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Rocky, thanks for the heads-up. I only do men, so I answer with men's interpretations in my head. I always forget that the women's side often does things differently. Sorry about that.

Chuck
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! !!
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

"I only do men"

Anything ELSE you want to tell us, Chuck?
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

ROFLMAO!!!!!! You got me good, Drake. Maybe I'll just go edit that last post now. . .

Chuck
Old Thu May 30, 2002, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Hey! What's said on the board, STAYS on the board!
(insert you're own favorite mafioso accent)
Old Fri May 31, 2002, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by johnSandlin
rburn,

You are correct in your assumption. Once a shooter goes into the air legally to attempt a shot, the shooter has a right to come back to the floor. If any call is to be made here, you have to call a BLOCKING foul on the defender.
Hmmmm... that's not exactly true. If the defender had established position prior the shooter leaving the floor, then the defender is entitled to the space. He DOES not have to give the shooter room to land.
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 07:54pm
Administrator

NFHS, NCAA Men's, FIBA, and NCAA Women's (Barb Jacobs please read the rules book before you make stupid interpretations that cannot be defended by the rules):

PLAYER CONTROL FOUL!!!
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jun 03, 2002, 07:57pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.
NFHS, NCAA Men's, FIBA, and NCAA Women's (Barb Jacobs please read the rules book before you make stupid interpretations that cannot be defended by the rules):

PLAYER CONTROL FOUL!!!

Befor the hate mail starts let me correct myself: CHARGING FOUL and common foul under all four codes. PLAYER CONTROL FOUL under NFHS and NCAA Women's.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio